Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Keyless Entry Not Working

I have a 2012 Itasca Ellipse 42QD that the steps wouldn't work. I called Winnebago and they sent me a new step switch. After installing the switch the steps still didn't work. I then decided to pull the contacts on the door and frame, when I did 3 of the 4 door connectors were not connected to the door contact (there are 2 blue wires & 2 white wires). On the frame contact 2 of the wires were off (there are 1 yellow wire & 3 white wires), I reconnected them not really knowing which went where. Lo & behold the steps work but the keyless entry and the door lock switches don't . When I press the lock button on the fob the lights flash like they should and when I press the unlock button the outside light flashes but I also pop the fuse. Please excuse the long explanation but knows anyone know how the door contact should be wired? Both the door frame contact & the door contact. Thanks in advance

John
The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

John,
My friend with a 2011 had the same problem. We discovered the connectors had pulled from the back of the frame contacts. We got lucky as they had not pulled off completely and were able to push them back where they belonged. I guess you will have to call Winnebago Service Administration at 800-537-1885 and ask them to walk you through the wire connections. You apparently have two of them mixed up which is the cause of your fuse popping. I am so sorry I cannot help you more. Let us know how you make out.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Dennis, Thanks I'll try winnebago again, maybe the service tech I talked to may not have known how it is wired. Hopefully I'll get someone who knows.

John
Old 04-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm sure you thought of this but did you try matching the colors of the wires on both contacts? Sounds like something is causing a short---
Old 04-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Finhawk, the door has 2 blue & 2 white and the frame has 1 yellow & 3 whites so aligning the colors won't work. I did find a drawing that has the frame side wiring but I'll have to play with the door side wiring.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

John,
I can't find anything concerning the wires in the door. But I did find where the wires on the frame side contacts should go. If you look closely at the wires, they have printing on them. The yellow wire should be marked "WL", it goes on the 2nd contact from the top. The white wire marked "WM" goes on the top contact. The white wire marked "KD" goes on the 3rd contact. And the white wire marked "MP" goes on the bottom. The top 2 wires are unlock and lock, the other 2 are just ground wires. I would try the 2 blue wires in the door on the top 2 contacts and the 2 white wires on the bottom 2 contacts. Then try your fob. If you're lucky,the door will unlock when you press the unlock button and lock when you press the lock button. If they work the opposite, swap the blue wires. Hope this helps.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bay I View Post
Finhawk, the door has 2 blue & 2 white and the frame has 1 yellow & 3 whites so aligning the colors won't work. I did find a drawing that has the frame side wiring but I'll have to play with the door side wiring.
Now I feel slighted. I only have 4 wires on the whole setup!!! Shucks
Old 04-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Finhawk,
You should have four brass buttons on the side of the door that touches four brass buttons on the door frame. That is four wires each. I don't want you to feel deprived.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

My Journey only has 2 buttons on the door and 2 buttons on the frame -- total of 4 wires. I think winnebago made a change and now uses the additional contacts for the steps instead of the magnetic reed switch it used for years to detect door open/closed.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

ChasA,
Thanks for the info. How did you identify the four wires? Did you look at the lettering on the "Wiring Identification List" or were you able to find them on the Parts Catalog? I have not been able to access the Parts Catalog for a couple of weeks. The 3D images are not showing and the text is not showing. I switched to IE-10 and seem to be "locked out" by some security rule. Can you access the 3D images?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I found the info on the 1st page of the Front End Wiring Installation diagram for the 2012 Ellipse 42QD.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Thanks ChasA. Found it.