Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Smile Just Wondering...

I've been lurking here for a while. I've posted a few calls for "help". I have really noticed one thing. All the posts seem to be from owners of BIG coaches. I read most of them looking for gems I might be able to use now, or down the road. Judging from what I read here; it seems there are a lot of problems with the Class A units.

We own a 2004 Class C Minnie. Are there any other owners of the smaller units out there???? Do we just not have the problems the big guys have, or do we not have time to post about our problems and fixes?

ed
eieioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
I helped | retired moderator

Ed,

We have a Class C forum here.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Ed could be some of both, but the more complex the more problems we have. Good luck with your unit, their is also a class C forum.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Smile

Dirk,

Thanks for the lead. I know about the general Class C forum. Since I own a Winnibago I was interested in specifics for my brand. Just like the Journy owners could also peruse the general Class A forum.

Like I said, Just Wondering.

ed
Old 08-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Autofish,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should be glad I've got it simple!
Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Ed,

Our camping buddies have a 2001 Minnie and their problems are similar to ours as both coaches use HWH slide systems, Kwikee steps, stoves, microwaves, toilets, vent fans, water heaters, furnaces and other similar components up to the same V10 engine. Class A's seem to get more long term use than class C coaches (most full timers live in a Class A as their primary residence) so due to the higher use levels you will see more posts. The class C coaches as far as the chassis side goes have similar parts to the standard Ford and Chevy vans many mechanics are already familiar with so most people already have someplace to turn with the Class C chassis related problems while with the Class A with it's custom chassis etc may require a bit more of a learning curve as to its maintenance along with where to get it done so it may tend to generate more questions as new owners get comfortable with them.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

eieioh, I don't think we have a BIG coach, but it is 35' and is a Class A, so I'll respond to you saying that we've had very little problems with our MH. It's only been to the shop once since we got it (18 months ago) and that was for something that I should have fixed myself (since the repair shop screwed it up - and I had to fix it myself after the warranty was expired, but thankfully Winnebago had the parts sent to me for free). I was a little scared with the amount of things that could go wrong based on the stuff I read here, but we honestly had no issues when we picked her up and none at all for the first 4,000 miles. Over the past year there have been nickle and dime issues (2 or 3 small ones), but nothing I couldn't easily fix myself in minutes.
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have found that anything mechanical can at some time give us fits. However, in the quiet of the day when the rig is sitting in the driveway, it is a good time to do a view of all the moving parts we can get to. Someone hollered at me that there was a noise coming from a wheel as we crept through Los Angeles at 5 mph. Turned out to be a loose lug nut on the wheel cover and I gladly tightened it at the next stop. Simple - but I've found that if I ask a lot of questions and then keep my mouth shut and listen, I learn a lot more from the veterans who've made the mistakes I want to avoid. Class A, B, C or any other type of RV has its challenges. Some self imposed, others poor workmanship, neglect, and the most popular of all, ignorance. Reading this forum will correct a lot of the latter. Good luck and my hope is that you find the paradise of RV'ing that we found.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:05 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

One of Murphy's theories was that the more bells and whistles you add, the more likely you are to have trouble. The KISS principle applies to RVs in every case.

Ken