Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Just completed new springs on HWH jack...

I just completed installing two new springs on the drivers side front jack of my 06' Itasca Meridian 36g. What a job! I read a couple of posts on here about how to do it and how simple it was. Well, it was simple, but I spent about four hours getting everything together and doing the actual job. First, I went down to our friendly Harbor Freight and bought a come-along. Then, I went to Home Depot and got some paint stir-sticks. I cut each stir-stick into about six pieces. (It took about seven sticks per spring.)
I streched the new springs between two vertical posts in my barn, using some chain and the come-along. I then placed the shims that I had cut from the stir-sticks into the spaces of the stretched-out spring. When I released tension on the spring, the shims made the spring longer. I had to do this several times in order to get the spring to the proper length.
I installed the springs onto the motorhome and then extended the jack, which made removal of the shims a simple task.
I wouldn't have known how to do this without the suggestions from this forum. Thanks to all who contributed.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

On ours I can have the springs on at both endf of the jacks and pad, then, with the ram all the way in, just lever the pad over the end. Takes both hands though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I used coins for shims once but shims of wood stay stay in better.

To insert a coin I bend the spring with my hands. You can't stretch the springs by hand but you can easily bend them. I would bend, insert a coin and then bend in the opposite direction and insert a coin. I do this until the springs become long enough to hook up. I then have someone extend a jack while I make certain the spring stays in the holes. As the spring extends the coins fall out.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Tom, I tried bending the springs by hand but the shims are 1/8" thick and it was too difficult. I had to stretch the springs a full 2" to make them work. Also, the new springs must have been dipped in paint because they were really stuck together.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

They are easy to lever off and on with a piece of 3/4" square tubing about 30" long with a hook with 1/4" stem bolted through the tubing about 12" from one end.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
They are easy to lever off and on with a piece of 3/4" square tubing about 30" long with a hook with 1/4" stem bolted through the tubing about 12" from one end.
I'm sorry John, but I don't understand what you're describing.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #7

I replaced ours. I hooked the springs toThe top and the bottom plate While it was not in position. (slipped off the side) then With the jack in Full up position I just slipped the Plate over the bottom of the Ram One man. Hour job Max.. Life is good.. I watched a shop put a set of them On . By the time they got them on they had them streched out worse then the old ones... .Unbeliveable.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I replaced ours. I hooked the springs toThe top and the bottom plate While it was not in position. (slipped off the side) then With the jack in Full up position I just slipped the Plate over the bottom of the Ram One man. Hour job Max.. Life is good.. I watched a shop put a set of them On . By the time they got them on they had them streched out worse then the old ones... .Unbeliveable.
I don't know how one man could do what you describe...you would have to stretch two springs more that 2'' apiece in order to accomplish what you're saying. Did you use some kind of a special tool? Those springs are very hard to stretch. I tried.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I understand how he installed both springs at the same time.

He used the round base plate as a lever with the bottom of the jack being one end of the lever and his hands as the other end.

I haven't tried this but there could be some danger involve with this method.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #10

Spring loaded clothes pins. Easy.
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I put one end of the spring in my vise, then I could easily bend them to insert the sticks. If your jacks are sticking, new springs aren't going to help much. You need to fix the problem. WD40 (what HWD currently recommends) will help for a while, eventually you might need to get them rebuilt.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I understand how he installed both springs at the same time.

He used the round base plate as a lever with the bottom of the jack being one end of the lever and his hands as the other end.

I haven't tried this but there could be some danger involve with this method.
Tom, I understand what he was saying but I have my doubts about it. Try going out to your motorhome, lay down flat on your back and try to move the baseplate of the leveler even a fraction of an inch. You can't do it! These are powerful springs and unless you're blessed with some kind of superhuman strength, you're not going to move them without some kind of extra leverage.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #13

I need to update My post;; I have on at least 3 occasions Put the shoe plate on While Parked in a snowmobile lot In subzeros temp; The shoe had to be chopped out of the ice. I have replaced the springs By hooking them on then slidind the base down over the Bottom part of the ram. It has worked for me. ( i'm only 74 years old) I get a bit upset with the Younger Generation That says it can't be Done..... Face the facts. I done it. Maybe you can't... Life is good. Even if you CAN"T;;
Old 05-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I replaced my springs the other day and this was one of the easiest tasks I have had to perform. After reading the posts about replacing them I was prepared for a painful chore. It took me all of two minutes per jack. I was able to disconnect the old ones simply by pulling the end off one side with a pair of vice grips. Once I had one side disconnected the other side is free as the base plate drops down. I just reversed the operation to replace the new ones. I did bend the springs back and forth a few times to break the paint bond between the coils. Oh, and I am not super strong....maybe the 200 series springs are weaker.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #15

Thank you Corvett 3;;
Old 05-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I am amazed...I guess I need to go to the gym more often. My hat is off to you guys.

Tags
hwh