Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Apparently my slide on my 2005 journey is not retracting evenly because my canopy is not rolling up stright and tight. How do I adjust the slide or is this not the problem??
asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Apparently my slide on my 2005 journey is not retracting evenly because my canopy is not rolling up stright and tight. How do I adjust the slide or is this not the problem??
Old 02-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi Asheville! Welcome to the forum!

Usually when the slide topper is rolling up crooked, it's not the fault of the slide. Check to see if the topper has shifted forward or aft in the gutter rail. The topper just slides into that rail and it's supposed to be held in position, so it doesn't slide forward or aft, by a screw through the rail. Mine didn't have the screw.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tom, I'm not quite sure what your talking about but I guess it will all come clear when I climb up on the roof and look down at the assemble? Should I slide the slide out are leave it in? Thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

The awning material must be exactly at a 90 degree angle to the motorhome to get it to roll straight. As Tom has said, the bead has probably slipped one way or the other causing it not to be rolling squarely.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yeah, kind of hard to describe. Run the slider out, then look to see if the roller end of the canopy and the end that's secured to the sidewall are lined up fore and aft. In other words, the material coming off the roller shouldn't be forward or aft of where the canopy attaches to the RV.

If it's wrong, it's kind of like if you pulled down a window shade, then held the bottom of the shade off to the left or right and tried to roll it up.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hitchhiker posted while I was composing and his explanation is much clearer. When the slider is out, if the canopy is not square with the side of the RV, move the free end in the gutter rail to make it perpendicular, then secure it with a screw through the gutter rail and canopy material.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

asheville ...

You can remove the tension from the slideout topper by extending the slide ... then putting a large screwdriver or small bar under the anti-furl arm ... then retract the awning about 6 inches ... this will catch the anti-furl arm ... (I use duct tape to hold the screwdriver from falling)

This will remove the tension from the topper cover so that you can adjust it if you need to ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

All this is presupposing that a tree branch etc has not caught the arms on your topper and slid them in their mounting brackets that are screwed into the side of the slideout. Check for signs of impact first and replace any bent or cracked hardware, if any, before starting the adjustment process.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Still can't figure out the problem? Topper cover is not slid ft or back, 2 screws are holding in place. I think the wind has blown so hard on that back corner that it rolled it up and when I pulled in the slide it has it rolled and overlapped itself, so therefore the cover is real tight on that corner and loose on the ft corner. Will I have to take it off and reroll it?? I have tried to correct it by having some take the slide in and out but its to tight to undo the overlap on that corner. Any advise would be helpfull.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Are you certain your slide isn't going out at an angle??

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Tom, I'm not sure, that was my initial post but you"al talked me out of that. When it comes in the ft corner flushes up a split sec before the rear?
Old 02-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I would measure the distance from the outside of the slide to the side of the coach with the slide extended.

If the measurements did not agree I'd have someone retract the slide while I pushed on the long measurement side.

The bedroom slide only has one ram and that is in the middle of the slide. The emergency retract procedure for the bedroom slide is for a couple people to push it in by hand.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote