Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Journey fridge swap, Norcold to residential

Our Norcold 1200 LRIM has been goofy lately, with the freezer temps swinging up and down for no apparent reason. We've never been thrilled with the RV fridge so decided to replace it with a residential unit.

We initially considered a Samsung counter depth fridge but counter depth fridges are quite pricey. Based on the recommendations of another Winne owner (a Horizon) who recently swapped his Norcold for a residential unit, we got a Frigidaire 18.2 cu ft top freezer stainless fridge from Lowe's. It was $629 on sale with free delivery.

I wanted to do this myself but I have a bad back from prior surgery and DW would not hear of it. Also, most of my neighbors are not spring chickens either so we used a local custom RV shop called Motorcoach Services located in Vinton, VA. They can do most anything on an RV and seem to do it well.

The coach was there for about one week. They removed the Norcold, built a new and stronger floor to support the new fridge, modified the opening a bit to accomodate about 1 1/2" of additional height, and did some other custom work to the trim around, above and under the new fridge.

This is the finished job:

They added some stout latches to the doors and to the face of the fridge cabinet to keep the doors shut while underway. I think they will work well since the doors require a firm pull to get them open.

They secured the new fridge with a wedge-shaped cleat at the top, screws thru the bottom where the rollers are, and by drilling thru the very outer edge of the cabinet, placing screws into framing they added at the sides (this fridge is narrower than the Norcold). You can see the white 'buttons' they used to cover the screws. The shop foreman said they have never had a fridge move around in a coach using these methods.

The DW loves the results (that's a must). The Norcold was 12 cu ft and the additional 6 cu ft will just make things better. Also, no more uneven temps in the fridge and hard ice cream!
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

Looks very nice. I think you will be glad the Norcold is history
Old 08-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I forgot to add info related to current draw since some folks had asked me about that. While running the genset and all other 120v items off in the coach and just the new fridge running, the display read 3 amps. I am thinking it will be more during compressor start up and defrost cycle.

So 360-400 watts during normal operation which is well within the limits of a 1000-2000Watt inverter.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Looks to be a real nice install. Very clean looking. Good luck with it.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Looks good Ranger! How much, if I might be so rude to ask, did the install cost? I live in Clifton Forge so that would be relatively handy for me. How many extra batteries did you add and where did you put them? My Norcold is beginning to be difficult.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
Looks good Ranger! How much, if I might be so rude to ask, did the install cost? I live in Clifton Forge so that would be relatively handy for me. How many extra batteries did you add and where did you put them? My Norcold is beginning to be difficult.
Install was right at $2,000. Not bad considering the total labor involved and the amount of re-work and customizing needed to get a clean fit.

I have not added batteries at this point since I don't plan to run on inverter for long periods. I do plan to upgrade my MSW inverter to a PSW and will likely replace my 3 12v batteries with 4 6v batteries.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Looks very nice. I just put a Frigidaire in my (other kind) rig. Mine was a counter depth, and wonder how you had enough room for a regular depth one? I used all the left over space for my angle brackets...

Gary
elgarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Gary;

Thanks for the report and pictures. It looks like a great install. I think you are lucky to have that kind of service in your area.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

smlranger, nice job on the refrigerator install. Your shop does first class work.

Enjoy your hard ice cream, and looking forward to new posts on how it performs, energy draw, new inverter and batteries.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Smlranger
The install looks very good. The catches used on the doors are something that a good RV Custom shop would think to use.
You will have to make sure that the doors close fully when in normal use.
The Greasy Beast continues to be a super coach.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Gary - I'm planning a similar project and your 1st picture looks exactly like my frig area. We even hang the pot holders in the same place...

It looks like they gained the extra height at the top. I had thought, because of the roof curvature, there would be no extra space to be gained up there. If that's how they did it, it would sure simplify the job. I was thinking I would have to rework the whole bottom area to gain the height. I had figured the breaker panel and LP detector areas could be squeezed down, but couldn't figure out what to do with the woofer.

Is that what they did or is it an optical illusion in the picture?

Whatever they did, it sure looks nice and I can't wait to do mine when we get home this winter.

What is the model number of yours? Frigidaire makes a bunch of 18.2 cu.ft. models.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I have not added batteries at this point since I don't plan to run on inverter for long periods. I do plan to upgrade my MSW inverter to a PSW and will likely replace my 3 12v batteries with 4 6v batteries.
We swapped in a Samsung RF197 awhile back.
I also HAD three 12 volt batteries which consumed all the space in the narrow Kwikee battery tray provided by Winnebago. I removed the battery "drawer" and cut it in half lengthwise then added about 1.5" to the width. It will now accommodate 4 Trojan T105's (6 volts). There was room to remount it in the same compartment it was in originally.
Maybe the above will work for you, Ranger.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsm View Post
Gary - I'm planning a similar project and your 1st picture looks exactly like my frig area. We even hang the pot holders in the same place...

It looks like they gained the extra height at the top. I had thought, because of the roof curvature, there would be no extra space to be gained up there. If that's how they did it, it would sure simplify the job. I was thinking I would have to rework the whole bottom area to gain the height. I had figured the breaker panel and LP detector areas could be squeezed down, but couldn't figure out what to do with the woofer.

Is that what they did or is it an optical illusion in the picture?

Whatever they did, it sure looks nice and I can't wait to do mine when we get home this winter.

What is the model number of yours? Frigidaire makes a bunch of 18.2 cu.ft. models.
In my planning to do this myself (before DW reminded this old man that I would kill my back doing it), I also figured the gain in vertical height would have to be at the bottom. And yes, the subwoofer would seem to present the most issue. The guys at Motorcoach Services said they also pondered what could be done with the subwoofer and, through careful measurement and planning, determined they could gain the distance at the top. They also dropped the new floor down below the edge of the lower cabinet. While I did not see the work in progress, they said they fashioned a wedge-shaped cleat for the top. He was not concerned about the top of the fridge cabinet making contact with the ceiling at the rear of the opening since the fridge specs only call for 3/8" clearance on the sides and 1" at the back for proper cooling. He left the roof vent in place. He did fashion an insulation pad of sorts to fit between the lower vent and the back of the fridge to keep the water line from freezing.

The photos do not do the wood working justice. It is very precise, clean and the clear coat finish on it is far superior to anything done by the factory.

The model # is LFHT1817LRF (it is a Lowe's special item). Actually, I had picked in the store the LGHT1817 which is the 'Gallery' version of the same fridge. It has fancier handles, a basket in the freezer, a light in the freezer. However, Lowe's delivered the LFHT (which I did not know until after it was installed) and charged me for that model. So, since the features were not materially different, I am satisfied.Looks very nice. I just put a Frigidaire in my (other kind) rig. Mine was a counter depth, and wonder how you had enough room for a regular depth one? I used all the left over space for my angle brackets...

"Looks very nice. I just put a Frigidaire in my (other kind) rig. Mine was a counter depth, and wonder how you had enough room for a regular depth one? I used all the left over space for my angle brackets..."

Gary, my opening was about 24" and the Frigidaire cabinet was about 26" deep without the doors. The way they trimmed the opening allowed for that and completely hides the cabinet...it is flush with the opening. I noted the difference in depth to the shop when I took the coach to them and they merely smiled at me and said, 'don't worry about it.'
Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
We swapped in a Samsung RF197 awhile back.
I also HAD three 12 volt batteries which consumed all the space in the narrow Kwikee battery tray provided by Winnebago. I removed the battery "drawer" and cut it in half lengthwise then added about 1.5" to the width. It will now accommodate 4 Trojan T105's (6 volts). There was room to remount it in the same compartment it was in originally.
Maybe the above will work for you, Ranger.
I recently measured the Duracell GC2 batteries at Sam's Club and think four of them will fit my existing tray without modifications. I may need to use a shoe horn to get them in there but I believe they will go. Are Trojan's larger than most other GC2's? I was more concerned about the weight difference. I also think I may have to either cut or grind off about 1/4" of the metal at the top of the opening so the taller batteries will clear.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Gary - Thanks for the info. The more I look at your pictures, the more I appreciate how much good work your shop did to absorb the extra depth and reduced width.

I'm still partial to the Samsung, and since it's width and depth is almost a perfect fit for our opening, it may not be any harder to install. I'm not sure I could pull off the beautiful cabinet work that makes yours look so nice.

I may just turn the subwoofer 90 degrees and mount it on the lower pantry wall. Whatever I do, I'll post pictures in a few months. It's nice that we can learn for each others successes (and mistakes )...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Isn't it ironic, that just today, the DW and I went looking for a residential refrigerator and purchased a Frigidaire, just like the one you bought, except it's slightly larger, at 21cf! From Lowe's no less! Total cost of refrigerator - $769, W/tax! Last week, our Notcold refrigerator died and we took the RV to Lazy Days RV, in Tampa. They said The fridge needed replacing, as it was no longer repairable. A new NotCold fridge would cost about $5,000, plus the replacement charges. I told them that I would go out and buy a new RR and have it delivered to them, to install and that's what I did, today! It's a small world isn't it?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Would you be willing to share LD's labor estimate for the install. I am sure our turn is coming and I just can't see investing in another Norcold.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Would you be willing to share LD's labor estimate for the install. I am sure our turn is coming and I just can't see investing in another Norcold.
I can't tell you what Lazy Days will charge but my local shop charged $2100. That was $300 for materials and the rest was labor. They charged 25 hours of labor. Pusherman, who owns an RV repair shop, told me recently he had a customer in his place that had just had a fridge swap done in Florida and the cost was $2,000.

With the cost of the new Frigidaire, we're into this for $2,700 which is still less than a new Norcold at about $3500 plus labor for R & R. We considered the Amish cooling unit but that would have been nearly $2000 with purchase, shipping and paying someone to R & R the old cooling unit, and we'd still be stuck with an absorption fridge which we've never really liked much.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thanks.

I will just have to pray this thing holds on. Friends tried the Amish unit but it failed within a year, so I can't see investing that kind of money in resurrecting a Norcold. Going to a residential until just seems to make sense.

It is a shame that it becomes so costly.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Sure. When I get the estimate or the final bill, from LD, I will post it here. I discussed this forum, with the tech, that is doing my work. I told him that I would put a good word in the forum, for him and LD, once the work was completed.
It was interesting, to find out, that I could not buy an extended warranty, on my new Frigidaire, after Lowe's asked me if I wanted one. Seems that if the refrigerator was going into an RV, the warranty would not be permitted. However, the mfg's one year warranty is good.

Tags
fridge, journey, norcold