Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Jacks up or down

Outside winter storage in the northeast. Store with jacks up or down?

2015 Itasca Meridian 42E
LeonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Jacks down would prevent the tires taking on a hard "set" which would make for an uncomfortable few miles when you take the rig out again. If you do go jacks down, make sure to spray a protective lubricant/anti-corrosion material on the piston rods every month or so.

In the four years we had our MH, I preferred not having the tire distortion after the first year. We only had it "off the road" for about 10 weeks each winter with our fairly equable climate. Since we're only about 60 feet from a salt-water marina (the folks across the street have $750K houses on the waterfront compared to our $275K one) we were careful to protect the piston rods.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Stored our '02 Dutch Star with the front jacks fully extended with the front tires off the ground for 13 years with no trouble.
But I also had checked with:
Newmar
Spartan
Reyco Granning
And Koni.
ALL of them said no problem, so we did it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Call Winnebago. They are the experts on your coach. All other brands do not apply.

I store mine with jacks up, but then I'm in a climate where I can take it out every 4-6 weeks for a 20+ mile ride.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have always parked my coach with the jacks lowered for the winter. Before I had a garage to store it and it was out side I wiped the cylinders with a rag soaked with ATF fluid. I have never had a problem.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

HWH has said at seminars to store with jacks down, AND that the jacks need no attention unless they are slow retracting. My jacks have been down for most of the 12 years/100k miles we have owned the coach. They are up only when driving or when the coach is in for service. The only problem we have had was replacing the 12v motor on the hydraulic pump last year. I suspect using them frequently is part of what keeps them working well. If you have some other brand, talk with the mfg'er.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Interested in this topic

I live in the north mid-west... for the past three winters, I've stored mine with jacks up... not sure if its right or wrong.. but would like to know..

Did you contact WBGO ??

Also.. curious.. for those who go jacks down.. do you take the tire completely off the ground, or do you just lower the jacks enough to take a significant amount of weight off ??

EDIT: I may add, I've recently come to an agreement with Michelin to replace my XRV tires with serious cracking issues.. I'm wondering if storing during winter (outside) with jacks up has contributed to the deterioration of my tires..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Do not lift tires completely of the ground. Among other things, that renders the parking/emergency brake useless if rear tires are lifted. I simply level mine as normal.

Tires should be parked on plastic or other protective surface (shielded from concrete/asphalt) and must not be in standing water. Covering them to protect from direct sun is also helpful. Using those two procedures, my tires site minimal or no checking/cracking when replaced at 7-8 years. I have used both Michelins & Continentals.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

My jacks are electric in the 2015 42E, the auto level doesn't lift thr RV too high? In fact if the site isn't fairly level it won't do it, and I have to block the tires.

2015 Itasca Meridian 42E
LeonB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks