Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2008, 03:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

With the coach parked and lowered (Journey DP) if it is level what are the pros and cons of not lowering the jacks? Was just wondering with short stops how critical the jacks are since it seems fine without using them... thanks
capt mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

With the coach parked and lowered (Journey DP) if it is level what are the pros and cons of not lowering the jacks? Was just wondering with short stops how critical the jacks are since it seems fine without using them... thanks
capt mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If I remember correctly, Winnebago recommends using the jacks. We recently had a case (at the factory) where the ground was soft enough that we didn't use the jacks, but that certainly is an exception.

With a level coach and jack support the slides are more likely to move properly. You also don't have the coach movement you get (bounce) without the jacks.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
Duncan the Dalmation
03 Ultimate Advantage
02 Saturn L100 Toad
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

At the recent GNR, HWH recommends using the jacks as much as possible to releive the wear and tear on the tires and suspension. Anytime you can take the pressure off your tires you are extending their life.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I definitely agree with comments about removing weight from the tires. Also, our coach seems to be a bit more stable (less movement when someone is moving around) with the jacks down compared to just having the air dumped.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

HI capt mav: When we are traveling and make a "short stop" I very seldom put the jacks down. As long as we are fairly level, I leave the air in the bags and put the slides out.

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:49 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Next time you walk around a RV Dealership look and see how many Coaches have both the jacks down and slides out...Mostly slides out no jacks.
I always use our jacks before moving slides.. Is it right or wrong? Personal Preference, I guess...we all know what the "Good Book" says.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I always use our jacks before moving slides.. Is it right or wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jacks down first, then slides out.

If we are making a lunch stop. there is no reason for jacks. If we stop for the night, jacks always go down. When we park the coach at our RV port, jacks are down (to take the weight off the tires and suspension like Paul mentioned) and slides are in.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

We had a member in our WIT Club who was having jack problems, but decided to put his living room slide out anyway. It actually touched the ceiling with part of the wood trim at the top of the slide. It broke a piece of the trim off and put a slight dent in the ceiling. The trim can be glued back and it looks like the dent in the ceiling will disappear with time. He has a 38' Adventurer.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote