Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Jacks and slides inop

Hi folks,
The last trip out my hydraulic jacks and both slides would not work. Seems to me like a bad ground or fuse problem. Any ideas where to start?
2006 Itasca Meridian 36SG

Gary
marima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Could be a bad ground, but do you have power at the switch? The the switchplate off and test for 12 v power. A bad fuse or relay might be the issue, you'll have to research how your system works.

Wiring Diagrams
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...MeridianSE.pdf

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Could be a bad ground, but do you have power at the switch? The the switchplate off and test for 12 v power. A bad fuse or relay might be the issue, you'll have to research how your system works.

Wiring Diagrams
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...MeridianSE.pdf
Probably not your fix but when I ran into that problem I was to low in hydralic fluid. Do you get any noise at all?
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

No pump noise, intermittent solenoid clicking. I think with low fluid you would still hear the pump whining.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I'll check the wiring diagram and hopefully find something.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Itasca Meridian 36G

I have the 05 meridian 36 G. Just had my pump fail. You can jump the solenoid on the pump motor to see if the motor is working or if it is a relay or fuse or control panel problem.

HWH has a trouble shooting guide that can walk you through some steps.

You can also call HWH and ask for tech support.

My new pump is installed and back in operation.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the info and help. Just dropped it off ar RV's R US in Oxford, MA for a few unrelated issues with the coach. Hopefully they can take care of them all, including the hydraulic problem. I'll let you know how I made out when it returns home.

Gary
Old 08-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marima View Post
No pump noise, intermittent solenoid clicking. I think with low fluid you would still hear the pump whining.
Yes, you would unless pump out and I doubt that. Good luck on find.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have an 06 Voyage 36M and if the parking brake is not set all the way my jacks and slides will not work. Sometimes I have to re-set the brake several times before they work. If it's both the jacks and slides there has to be a common between them.
coffeesnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I had the same problem on the Freightliner commercial chassis I just traded for my new Meridian 36m. Last winter I was unable to extend the driver side slide and the jacks were unresponsive.

The motorhome manufacturer, the tech who installed the slide hydraulic system, and Freightliner were unable to solve the issue. My wife googled our problem and found the solution. Go figure.

Freightliner multiplexes numerous signals (both air and electrical) through the AMU which is mounted to the chassis. The chassis must sense the parking brake set to allow power to the slide and jacks circuits. On the FL commercial chassis, the AMU typically stops responding to air signals (in this case the parking brake) and the effected circuits remains unpowered. Other circuits controlled by the parking brake on my chassis were the cruise control set and disconnect functions as well as the brake light circuit. Replacing the AMU solved all the issues.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that FL uses the same logic system in the Custom Chassis line..... IMHO
Buzsaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I would start with the simple first. Check the circuit protection (fuse or breaker). Then the next common thing that would effect both systems would be the parking brake activated circuit that tell the system it is in park. Air brake systems like what Freightliner uses has an AMU the converts the air pressure to an electrical signal.T he squish brakes that have a foot or lever operated manual system use a switch. Last would be the auto park system that have an electric module producing the output circuit. This is most commonly the ground for the jack and slide system. Food for thought.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Interesting, where is the AMU located?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Intermittent problem

I had an issue with the system not working on an intermitten basis. After researching time, alt, temp, it turned out to be temp. issue. The system stopped working in cold temps. I figured it was a cold soder joint in the control box. Inspeced the boards in the box and did not find any thing.

I order up a new box from hwh and all is was ok.

RAB

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

You will only have them if you have air brakes. There are than one. Most of the time they are on the chassis cross members. The one at the rear axle would be the most likely position.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Well, I got the coach back from being serviced and it did wind up being a bad ground at the hydraulic pump motor and at the frame. Fortunately an easy fix. Thanks for all the help and info.

F.Y.I. - If anyone needs repair in the New England area give RV's R US in Oxford, MA a chance. They do a great job and can do anything from paint and body to general repairs.

Gary and Margy - '06 Itasca Meridian 36SG
'08 Jeep Liberty toad
Old 08-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

I had a similar problem last winter in Florida. 34' Winnebago Journey DL. Solenoid clicking sounds but no slides or jacks movement although when you hit the switch for each slide some pressure in the system was relieved and slides moved VERY slightly. I thought it was the motor(no motor running sound). Took it out and hooked it up to 12V directly. Would not run. Ordered one on line that was to be identical replacement. Had it shipped to local UPS Store. When I received it it appeared to be identical but the center to center distance of the mounting bolts was an 1/8" wider. Had to send back and get another through an auto electric store in Jacksonville. Fit perfectly and solved the problem!
WeBeTravelun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Glad to see you got things squared away.

Tags
jacks, slide