Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2006, 04:19 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

We have a new to us 2004 Journey 36G. The right rear red warning lamp will not turn on. I contacted HWH and they gave me a test to determine if it was a magnet switch or wiring failure. I uncoupled the jack's wiring harness plug at the jack and jumped the circuit and the red lamp came at the control board came on so the wiring seems to be good. I plugged in and out a few times connected everything back up and the red lamp worked. Then on the last trip it failed again so now I am thinking maybe the magnet switch is failing and I need to replace. I attemped to get a 9/16" open ended wrench (sized by HWH) around the magnet switch mounted on the top of the leveler and the space was too tight. So before I haul it in to be repaired I thought I would ask if anyone knows a method to change this magnet switch without having to drop the entire jack leveler? Thanks, SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:19 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We have a new to us 2004 Journey 36G. The right rear red warning lamp will not turn on. I contacted HWH and they gave me a test to determine if it was a magnet switch or wiring failure. I uncoupled the jack's wiring harness plug at the jack and jumped the circuit and the red lamp came at the control board came on so the wiring seems to be good. I plugged in and out a few times connected everything back up and the red lamp worked. Then on the last trip it failed again so now I am thinking maybe the magnet switch is failing and I need to replace. I attemped to get a 9/16" open ended wrench (sized by HWH) around the magnet switch mounted on the top of the leveler and the space was too tight. So before I haul it in to be repaired I thought I would ask if anyone knows a method to change this magnet switch without having to drop the entire jack leveler? Thanks, SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 10-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Steve G welcome to the forum.
Does your jack tilt abit, if you take out two of the mounting bolts and can tilt the jack you may gain enough room to get switch off the top of jack. Just be sure you don't cross thread the new switch when putting back. If you can pivot jack tie end to frame while working on it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

007 thanks for the response. Yes the levelers are on a slant. Tomorrow I will slide under the MH and determine if I can pivot the jack. Cross threading has been my concern from the beginning as I would have to "feel" the thread while in a blind reaching strain. The pivot might reduce some of that risk. If it looks like I can do this I'll purchase the switch and give it a try. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 10-30-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have replaced my magnet switch several times. I can push the bottom of the jack towards the center of the coach and the top will tilt outward allowing me room to get my wrench on the switch. I probably don't need to say this, but don't remove the switch unless the jack is in the up postion. Otherwise you will get a oil bath.

You can test the switch by removing from the jack and reconnecting to the wiring. Then place a strong magnet to the side of the switch. If the light goes on, the switch is OK. I am now waiting on a new jack because the magnet inside the jack is not making contact with the switch.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

LK23, I looked at the right rear jack of our 2004 36G Journey closely today. The jack is housed in a steel support jacket which limits the jack's movement. There is a pivot point so the bottom of the jack should be able to pivot somewhat toward the center of the coach. Even with the pivot movement it will be awkward working at the top of the jack and around the hydraulic line to reach the switch. Guess I will just have to give it a try and see if I can get it done.
The hydraulic oil spill was going to be my next question. With the jack in the up position I am assuming there will be some leakage but nothing significant?
Thanks for your response. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 10-31-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Steve,

With the jack up there is only a small amount of oil leak. Nothing to be concerned with.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:37 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I did order the part. A few days before part was delivered the switch started working again. So replacement is still on hold. This is OK with me as getting to the switch is not going to be a fun time! Steve.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-