Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

j-lounge removal

I have a 2005 Itasca Meridian, 39K. I am looking at the removal of the factory installed J-lounge couch and installing a couple of recliner's. Any insight/suggestions regarding this project would be welcome.
David W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You will have to remove the front it's going to be a cover that lift or pulls off or has the drawer in it, remove it and that will get you under it and it will be screwed to the floor remove the screws and it will come out.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Do you have an outside entertainment center? If you do it extends into the coach about 12" to 14" and has a protective cover.

I'm looking to do the came, but, it's a problem. I'm thinking of trying to move my sofa/bed (I replaced the power lay back sofa form Winnie with a Flexsteel) to that side. I have to investagate that idea farther.

If you don't have the center the only consideration is that the curb side slide does not go level. It's about 2" high when open.

Let me know how it goes as I have the same coach.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

When I bought my Journey 39K the sofa had been removed but the J lounge was/is still there. In place of the sofa there is a recliner and quite a bit of space around it. Since it is only my wife and I traveling we don't really need the sofa bed. When watching TV or just sitting around she uses the J lounge and I get the recliner. Works for us. As a thought it might be easier to remove than the J lounge.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We too, have the 39K and my first thought was to remove the J-sofa as we have always had a couch and recliner. The problem with the 39K, is that the floor on the curb side is raised and does not drop down like the street side slide. My thought was to remove the J-sofa, install a recliner with a hoop ring base but it would extend over the edge of the raised floor. I posed this question to Recovery Room Interiors in Riverside, CA and he confirmed my idea of making a half-round base carpeted the same as the existing carpet and the height of the raised floor and just placing it on the floor when the slide is extended so the hoop can rest on it. Otherwise, I don't think you would have enough room on the raised floor to support the recliner.

Also, the issue with the entertainment center sticking out to the inside; I was going to cover it by making a small table to cover it to set drinks on.

I'm not sure you would have enough room for two recliners, but the one would work facing the front.

We have had ours 2.5 yrs. and somehow we just got used to the J-sofa so far; it makes a nice napping place for me. However, the foam is beginning to breakdown where our butts sit most of the time, so I need to either have it redone or do the recliner switch-out.

How long have you owned your 39K? I have made many mods to ours just to make it more liveable and convenient and am always looking for the next project.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I removed my J lounge 3 or 4 years ago and put a counter and stroage there and use it as my computer table and also have a 24 bottle wine cooler there. The j lounge just did not fit my 6'4" 250lb body.

The removal is easy as stated above and if you have to you can take the back off to make it easier to take out of the RV.

Doorguy, I have had mine for 6 yrs and have also done many upgrades. I will soon make a post with all of the before and afters.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks folks for all the info. Sounds like a lot of good idea's, I am getting somewhat nervous regarding the raised floor under the j-lounge. Have had the coach since Jan of 2007, still learning I must say. if anyone has photo's of upgrade's I am most interested.

Thanks again everyone.
David W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Mike and Pat, there are several of us 39K people that I think would like to see your photos when you get a chance.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We removed ours. Just started removing screws until I got it loose from the floor. then started removing bolts, arms and the J part until I got small enough peices to carry out of the coach. and I had lots of peices. good luck ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I too have a 39K and have toyed with removing the J lounge. Looking forward to pics from anyone with changes. Has anyone removed the sleep number mattress?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Slick60, We bought our 39K used and it did not have the sleep number mattress. It had a very heavy Simmons or Sealy that made the bed pretty hard to lift. We replaced that with an 8 inch foam and 3 inches memory foam mattress. My wife can now lift the bed. And the foam mattress is quite comfortable.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

In our 05 Itasca Horizon we have the sleep number bed. Had to replace the pump and controls ($100 on Ebay) We then added a 2" memory foam pad (placed inside the sleep number bed) We absolutely love the bed, so much that when we returned from our trip to Alaska we purchased a king sized one for home, adding the same 2"Memory foam to the new one. Now no more morning back aches
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I had my driver side front window replaced, so while it was removed, I pulled the couch out (in one piece) thru the opening! Now I'm just trying to figure out what to put there.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

For those of you with that decide to keep the J-sofa, I found something out today. I removed the seat portion and took it to an upholstery shop and they beefed up the cushions where my butt rests. Sooo, when I was re-installing the slide out drawer, I looked and discovered that I could raise the sides and rear of the drawer and get 2 to 2-1/4" more depth so things would not fall out behind. So I found some wood stock in my garage(same finish, no less) and attached it to the existing tops of the sides and back and gained another 2". Costs me all of $4 for brackets. I also placed a piece of foam at the rear of the speakers so when I am outside playing the radio, the sound doesn't resonate inside when the DW is watching the View or whatever she watches. Haven't tested it yet, but it HAS to be better.

Tags
removal