Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2005, 04:41 AM   #1
Jim
Winnebago Owner

regarding the tuck of the roof under the j channel..does it overlap the sidewall to prevent leaks, and what is behind the j channel that allows the roof to be pushed in?..it seems to me that if there was any backing there you would't be able to push it in..is there any detailed info available re the roof construction..thanks..jim
Old 08-30-2005, 04:41 AM   #2
Jim
Winnebago Owner

regarding the tuck of the roof under the j channel..does it overlap the sidewall to prevent leaks, and what is behind the j channel that allows the roof to be pushed in?..it seems to me that if there was any backing there you would't be able to push it in..is there any detailed info available re the roof construction..thanks..jim
Old 08-30-2005, 07:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Do a search on roof edge and you will find a lot of info. There is foam insulation behind the glass. Many of us forego the periodic re-caulking and use Eternabond tape and be done with it permanently.

Search Eternabond on this forum and that will reveal a lot of discussion.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Eternabond is a great Idea unless the Coach has full body paint. Winnie recomends a clear poly urethane sealant which works well.
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
Jim
Winnebago Owner

i spoke to a winnie rep and he told me the roof extends about an inch over the sidewall about even with the bottom of the j channel..he said as long as the roof is properly tucked behind the j channel there is no possibility of water leaking into the coach whether it is caulked or not..he says the caulking's only purpose is to hold the roof in place..for original construction they use a special sealant but for after market repairs in their shop they use white silicone..they scrape the old off..clean the area with mineral spirits, then apply the new..and because the backing is foam you can't use screws to hold the roof down...re the eternabond i have read about others using 2" wide strips..considering the small depth of the gutter and width of the gutter to the roof i figure the tape would extend about 1 1/2" up the roof edge..is the correct..thanks..jim
Old 09-04-2005, 08:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Those of us that have a small number of 1999 units have very short overlaps - the j channel and the roof really didn't overlap enough. Had it 'fixed' at the dealer a few times and each time, we had a leak. We recaulked using a Winnie recommended sealant. We finally fixed it with Eternabond and haven't had any more roof leaks or wind blowing dirt in the back corner of the bedroom ceiling since. We also taped the cap. We cut the tape to 2 inches. They might have a tape that would accept paint -
Old 09-04-2005, 09:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Look in the Photo section and look under "Modification and Repairs" and under Richard N, you will find my photos of the Eternabond installation I did on my RV. As I was cleaning this area to be done I found 2 small cracks starting. I did it myself but probally with 2 people it would work a little better. Just don't get into a hurry and have plenty of time to install it. I'm glad I done mine.

Winnebago Adverturer 2004 35U Cypress Green Metallic
Dick N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Smartest thing I have done yet to my coach is put the Eternabond on the seams. I used to inspect the roof once a month for seal integrity. Now I check a couple of times a year. It is fixed permanently and you can hardly see it. Just be sure to clean the area of application carefully with a good cleaner, then wipe the area with a clean cloth.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #9

How do I get to this photo spread of Dick's??
I tried every search method I could think of and can not get to the photos. Went to "Photo" link and did the search, but nothing. HELP!!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dick N.:
Look in the Photo section and look under "Modification and Repairs" and under Richard N, you will find my photos of the Eternabond installation I did on my RV. As I was cleaning this area to be done I found 2 small cracks starting. I did it myself but probally with 2 people it would work a little better. Just don't get into a hurry and have plenty of time to install it. I'm glad I done mine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I tried every search method I could think of and can not get to the photos. Went to "Photo" link and did the search, but nothing. HELP!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:24 PM   #11

Thudman, Iam after help not sympathy!!
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:36 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Iam after help not sympathy!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 07-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dick N.:
Look in the Photo section and look under "Modification and Repairs" and under Richard N, you will find my photos of the Eternabond installation I did on my RV. As I was cleaning this area to be done I found 2 small cracks starting. I did it myself but probally with 2 people it would work a little better. Just don't get into a hurry and have plenty of time to install it. I'm glad I done mine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for the confusion, it took even me a second to realize what was going on....

Dick's pictures were indeed on the photo site BEFORE it crashed several months ago, requiring EVERY picture to be reloaded, even the bunch that I had....It was an awful thing, but we've been fortunate to have been able to recover from it...

SORRY for the confusion.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Jim,

If you go to 'Photos', 'Member Galleries', click on 'J', click on 'Jim Bob'....you'll find several pictures of an Eternabond installation.

They should help.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:42 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

ua40j: Thx much for clarification. I accessed the pics for my upcoming Eternabond application. And thx to Jim Bob for posting great fotos. Much appreciated.

Thudman