Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question It's c-o-l-d in here!

I love our 33' Winnebago Sightseer, bought new in 2004. Haven't seen a motorhome I like better. The ONLY thing I would change is the fact that in the morning when I get out of bed, it is COLD. I set the thermostat at 73 degrees when I go to bed but when I get up, it is at least 10 degrees cooler than that. Also, it holds heat and we have to use our AC more than we'd like. We had an accident in Kansas and for the 3 months our Sightseer was being repaired (in the middle of winter)we stayed in a Coachman rental unit and were never cold. Why is our Sightseer so chilly and is there anything we can do about it?

Bill & Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

My belief is that Winnebago products are less insulated than some other brands and that the slides don't seal very tightly. In addition the thermostat reads about 4 degrees higher than it really is. Your heat pump should keep your rig at the set temperature as long as it is above 40 degrees outside. You might want to check that it is engaging both the first and second stage on the heat pump. You might be only getting half the heating or cooling that you should have.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You may also want to gather some hard data to support what your experiencing. That will help any technician who is called in to help fix the problem.

1. Get a quality digital thermometer (Oregon Scientific) to measure the room temperature versus what is being shown on the thermostat. Record the temperature and the setting on the thermostat in addition to the separate digital thermometer at different times of the day. That will allow you to quantify some of your statements above.

2. Are you leaving a vent open even when heating? Sometimes the dampness from condensation will give you a cold feeling in the morning so you should keep a vent cracked even in cold weather.

3. Is there proper air circulation between the area with the thermostat and the bedroom? If you keep your door closed, the bedroom may get cold and the area where the thermostat is located may be warmer.

4. Closing your blinds also helps in the cold by trapping an insulating layer of air. In the heat, it shields the sun from cooking your coach.

5. Are you running appliances that generate heat like a big TV or computer monitor?

6. In real cold weather, we sometimes pull the slides in to reduce the area to heat. You may want to try that for a night and see if the coach is warmer in the morning.

Good luck!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Or... you can trade it in for a

Well insulated, double pain windows and heated basement.

Just a suggestion...
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You do realize that if you set your thermostat to cool the coach, then the temp goes lower at night you must set the thermostat to heat to maintain the set temperature.
It will not do both automatically.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My internal thermostat tempature seems to have a mind of it's own. Be ssure that you have the overhead vent directed away from the thermostat unit. I am assuming you have basement AC. and heater. My unit seems to switch automatically from heat pump to propane. This has happened twice, but I have never seen it in the manual that it would do this. Once the temp get down below 40 F, the heat pump doesn't work,
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Well, you could go somewhere else! Like I told my sister, If we need our furnace or air conditioning, I made a wrong turn somewhere!

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Good point about the auto switch from heat pump to propane.

Bill - do you have a heat pump?

The manual for my TrueAir thermostat states that the system will switch from heat pump to propane if the set temperature is 5 degrees or more below the ambient temperature in the coach. Also the heat pump will not operate if the outside temperature is below 36 degrees.

Maybe your thermostat is not switching properly?
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
Or... you can trade it in for a

Well insulated, double pain windows and heated basement.
A very appropriate typo. Had a Bounder. Traded it for my Winnie!
Old 06-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I was never real happy with the thermostat in the 2002 Journey we had. The real temperature was considerably less than the T setting. When I wanted heat I had to set the T stat to about 77 degrees to stay reasonably comfortable. The front of the coach is always way cooler than the rest of the coach so close the front curtains. Also something that MOST PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW is to shut the dash heater / acnd controls to "OFF" before you shut down the engine. OFF or MAX acnd are the only two positions that close the front controls/ damper so this no outside air can blow into the front of the coach. So do what you ca to close up and set the T stat wherever it needs to be to stay confortable, paying no attention to the number setting.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Heating problem or Thermostat problem ?

Hi, we have a Winnebago Adventurer and our thermostat is mounted on the wall behind the shower in the bathroom. Over the shower is a skylight. We have noticed the thermostat registers a false reading due to hot showers or sun shining in the skylight and heating the bathroom warmer than the rest of the motorhome. We have to take this in to consideration when setting the temperature on the thermostat. After hot showers we try to "cool the wall off " by running cold water through the shower. That helps some. It took awhile to figure out, but now that we know the reason , we make adjustments.

Pam
phuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Try getting two identical thermometers and place one in the front of the coach and one in the rear bedroom.
Compare the two thermometers a couple of times a day without any A/C or heat running.
As you compare the two temps, you may be able to trace where the leaks are or where you may need to add insulation.
There are openings for wires and other plumbing items and sometimes they are wide open. I found, under the drivers left foot rest, a large opening for wires to go to a fuse box in an outer bin. It let a lot of cold air in until I added insulation.