Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

It's always something

Seems like I am having one small problem after another. Yesterday it was the chassis batteries, thankfully they just needed a good charge. So today I wanted to go fill the propane tank, and in general take the coach out for s through warm up spin. So first of all one of my springs on the HWH jacks broke, so jack would not retract. Used a floor jack to raise. Next my steps won't retract no matter what I do.

So I assume I follow up with HWH for a new spring or is their a better solution. The challenge is the steps, any suggestions or ideas on how to troubleshoot and repair will be greatly appreciated. Like I often say if it's not one thing its another.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

About the steps, have you checked the magnet on the screen door? Did you check the override switch? What position is it in? Does it sound like the motor is working? Did you try closing the door with the engine running?
Maybe it needs a little help and some lubrication
More data will help with diagnosis.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Will the engine start or have the chassis batteries gone flat again from putting up the jacks and such? It could be the chassis batteries being in marginal condition. Beyond that the step could need lubricating, have a bad ground or other electrical connection.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

steps

My Kwikee steps stopped working at the Ocean a couple of years ago it turned out to be a bad connection at the motor cleaned everything up and has been working fine since I also try to lube the linkage once a month.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

A bad magnetic switch on the screen door could leave the stairs either up or down and they will stay down even with the engine running and the door closed. The step logic will think the door is open so it will not retract. These small mag switches are available at Radio Shack for around $7.00, or any electric supply house. Be sure to let us know what you find to be the problem. If you have a manual for the steps there used to be a section for troubleshooting if you have the test pigtail. I made my own pigtail with several pieces of wire and alligator clips.
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all of the suggestions and ideas. Yes, I tried having the engine on and in gear, no luck, tried flipping the on/off rocker switch several times, no luck.
Cold and snowy here today, plus I am still a working stiff ( One hundred days to retirement, but who's counting) so will attack tomorrow. I have the feeling that it has something to do with the chassis batteries running down so will start with the door switch, contacts etc. We have had a lot of snow and cold, then melting so possibly moisture has gotten into the system. Does anyone know if there is more than one fuse and where the one or more might be. Yes my manual tells me how to test using the pigtail, so I may try making one as suggested.
I did pick up new springs for the jack today, so will install those tomorrow also. I will everyone know when I find an answer, in the interim I am open to any suggestions.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
the stinking step seems to loose their logic. I have the same damn problem from time to time. here we are going down the highway at 75 MPH and wife calls out the steps are out.
what the H. some times they work just fine. I have found that pulling the plug under the steps and reconnecting sometimes help. BUT not always. I have a good ground, the door switch is new (am in the alarm business and installed a professional contact) replaced the retractor arm. lube the moving point with white grease etc etc etc..

still this product sucks because it often is stuck.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I can probably help you with the broken spring on the HWH jack. Just call HWH and tell them what model and serial no. your jack is and they will ship you a pair of new springs. The model no. and serial no. are printed right on the jack. Changing them is a process, but I have changed all four of my jacks and it's not so tough after the first one. Contact me and I will give you a step by step lesson in how to do it.
Steve
Old 12-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

had the same step issue with an 07 Sunova--stopped by the RV mechanic he got under the step and tapped the motor with a small hammer just tapped not HIT. The steps worked, he said that after some time of non use rust builds up and stops the motor from working. I know it sounds nutty but it is a motorhome. worked till we sold it in 2012
13 Adventurer 37F
mike garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Update. Well the step issue was easy enough, found a breaker that I had popped, probably when my batteries were low and the steps drew too much juice.
If the weather holds tomorrow I will tackle the spring replacement.
Again thanks for everyone's help, this forum is the best
Old 12-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
Update. Well the step issue was easy enough, found a breaker that I had popped, probably when my batteries were low and the steps drew too much juice.
If the weather holds tomorrow I will tackle the spring replacement.
Again thanks for everyone's help, this forum is the best
Glad to see that things are on the up for you. Hope you have great success in repairing the jacks. 100 days is not that far away, besides retiring right after you file taxes and get your refund should be very nice. Wish you well in your new job, RETIREMENT. Remember to take each day one by one and enjoy life. Its not getting there that matters but the journey that makes the biggest impact. So slowdown and enjoy it while you can.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks SuperGewel,

I have been reading the other forums about retirement, slowing down, remembering your not on vacation etc and think I have the right approach. Because I am a former ENRON employee, who lost all of his retirement, I have had to rebuild my retirement and nest egg so I know I have to watch my expenses, so will be doing workamping as I go along. Have a workamping "job" in the Great Smokey Mtns for the summer, then plan on doing some travel in new England, then try my luck at Amazon then onto SC and Fla to hang with the kids and grandkids for a few months. Wherever it takes me, I am anxious to leave the daily 10-12 hour days behind me and be able to harass some fish.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Changed out my HWH springs yesterday, it is much easier than one would think. If you have to do it, go to Wal-Mart and by a bag of 100 spring type wooden clothespins. Take them apart and start wedging them in between every spring coil. Do on complete side first then work on the other side, this will stretch the spring long enough to install on the jack. Then lower the jack and voila, all of the clothes pins fall out. Now, you really should change them in pairs, so take the pins that fell out, put them into the other stretched jack, raise the jack, remove spring and install the second spring with your second stretched new spring. Really easier than it sounds and this is from an non mechanic.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Try spraying your jacks and anything that moves with this stuff: CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant with PTFE, 11 oz Aerosol Can, Light Amber/White: Amazon.com: Automotive

It works great.

Rick
Old 01-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
Changed out my HWH springs yesterday, it is much easier than one would think. If you have to do it, go to Wal-Mart and by a bag of 100 spring type wooden clothespins. Take them apart and start wedging them in between every spring coil. Do on complete side first then work on the other side, this will stretch the spring long enough to install on the jack. Then lower the jack and voila, all of the clothes pins fall out. Now, you really should change them in pairs, so take the pins that fell out, put them into the other stretched jack, raise the jack, remove spring and install the second spring with your second stretched new spring. Really easier than it sounds and this is from an non mechanic.
Cleaver!
Old 01-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I mean Clever!