Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Itasca Horizon CO Detector Replacement

CO detector is mounted on the ceiling in bedroom of 2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD. I want to replace it with a new one. I can't see very well right now, but I can't determine how the original detector is mounted. A cover pulls off, but there are no visible screws underneath. There are tracks where it appears that the interior portion of the detector should rotate, but I can't get it to turn. There is a small plastic lever (looks like a toggle switch) sticking out of the base right against the ceiling. It will move up/down a little bit, but doesn't seem to release anything.

I have the new detector on hand, and would like to mount it in the exact location where the current one is. I don't want to take a hammer & chisel to the current detector, but I want it off my ceiling. Any help appreciated!

George Stewart
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

As I recall mine has a little plastic pin which holds it in place. Pull that out and you can then easily rotate the detector to remove it, leaving the mounting bracket on the ceiling.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
As I recall mine has a little plastic pin which holds it in place. Pull that out and you can then easily rotate the detector to remove it, leaving the mounting bracket on the ceiling.
Thanks Chris; you're always a big help on my Horizon issues. I suspected the pin's purpose was to release the detector so it could rotate, but I pulled quite a bit on the pin and nothing happened. I'll try it again.

GS
Old 12-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The original CO detector on my coach was mounted on the ceiling, right above the ceiling fan. Yes there was a pin that had to be removed.

Since the directions included with most CO detectors say to avoid locations with drafts, I located my replacement on the wall between the door and TV cabinet.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks ernieh. The directions with my new detector (a combo smoke/fire/CO) don't specifically state where to mount it, but implies that it should be wall-mounted. Like yours, my current detector is right above the ceiling fan. If removing it does not leave too bad of a mark on the ceiling, I'll mount the new one on a wall.

GS
Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Make sure that your new detector is rated for RV use--not all home detectors are.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #7

All battery powered CO detectors operate the same, and should be replaced every 5-7 years regardless. If there are particular CO detectors specified for RV use, where do you get these, and what are the difference in a battery powered home version?
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntDriver View Post
All battery powered CO detectors operate the same, and should be replaced every 5-7 years regardless. If there are particular CO detectors specified for RV use, where do you get these, and what are the difference in a battery powered home version?
I wonder the same thing. I did see some RV-specific detectors (CO only) on Amazon.com, but the only difference I could see is that they were 12-volt with battery backup. I don't want a hardwired detector; I want it powered by its own batteries only. I did read the spec sheets on almost all the Kidde detectors, and did see some that specify "not for RV or boat use". But the only difference I could see in the specs was the temperature rating; those "not for RV or boat" state that they should be installed where the temperature is between 40F and 100F. Since a parked RV will probably experience temperatures lower (and maybe higher) than that, possibly that's the difference.

Many of the Kidde detectors will begin beeping at seven years after installation. Then it's time to replace them.

Unless I can determine that it's a strict no-no, I'm going with the combination smoke/fire/CO detector, and will mount it on the wall. If I have a bad mark on the ceiling from the old detector, I'll find some way to hide it.

GS

Tags
itasca, replacement