Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Itasca Bed

I have an Itasca Ellipse 42QD. In order to move the bedroom slide in or out, the bed must be in the retracted position. However, with the driver's side full wall slide extended, there is plenty of room for the bed to be extended with the bedroom slide in. My question, does anyone know if there is a way to extend the bed with the bedroom slide in? Thanks.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like some switches shutting off the functions, like a safety switch. sounds like when the slide is opened up it will close the switch to power up the bed and when the bed opens it cuts the power to the slide. Is this correct so far.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightriderrv View Post
Sounds like some switches shutting off the functions, like a safety switch. sounds like when the slide is opened up it will close the switch to power up the bed and when the bed opens it cuts the power to the slide. Is this correct so far.
Not exactly. When the slide is out, the bed can go up or down. When the slide is in, the bed will not go down. When the bed is down, the slide will not go in. I want to be able to bring the slide in when the bed is down. There is plenty of room to bring the slide in as long as the full wall slide is out.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have wondered the same thing as you. Your thought makes perfect sense to me. I am not sure I can add to this to help you because of the complexity of micro switches involved but I would think this could be accomplished. How about a call to Winnie and ask them. Please post the results as others may be wondering the same thing.
On a footnote, I do know that the micro switch that enables the bed to lay flat is directly under the top part of the bed (mattress) and can be accessed through a whole. You can see the mechanism. How it ties into the switch by the bed is not known. I will look at the wiring diagram and see what it will take. Good luck.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun time View Post
I have wondered the same thing as you. Your thought makes perfect sense to me. I am not sure I can add to this to help you because of the complexity of micro switches involved but I would think this could be accomplished. How about a call to Winnie and ask them. Please post the results as others may be wondering the same thing.
On a footnote, I do know that the micro switch that enables the bed to lay flat is directly under the top part of the bed (mattress) and can be accessed through a whole. You can see the mechanism. How it ties into the switch by the bed is not known. I will look at the wiring diagram and see what it will take. Good luck.
I am familiar with the micro switch at the top of the bed. It can very easily become misaligned. If that happens the slideout will not move. It is a poor design in my opinion, but at least it is was easy to fix on my own.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I took my Ellipse in for some warranty work yesterday and they said there is a recall on the bed. The service writer did not know exactly what the recall was(imagine that). He said Winnebago sent a part for the bed. I will get more details when I pick it up. My bed worked fine, I hope it still does after they do the recall.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Smack 2020 as I was not aware of this recall. I was aware they have had some issues with this mechanism so look forward to hearing your results and what they changed.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks Smack 2020 as I was not aware of this recall. I was aware they have had some issues with this mechanism so look forward to hearing your results and what they changed.
I called Winnie this morning and they said its not a recall, it's just that the controller for the bed pressure is not keeping the memory set so they are replacing the controller. Sounds like a recall to me. We did notice a few times waking up to low pressure bed because the memory changed from what we had it set for.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2020 View Post

I called Winnie this morning and they said its not a recall, it's just that the controller for the bed pressure is not keeping the memory set so they are replacing the controller. Sounds like a recall to me. We did notice a few times waking up to low pressure bed because the memory changed from what we had it set for.
Now that the dealer did this recall, my bed is having problems raising and lowering. I think they messed with the the limit switch. 4 times I had to get out of bed, pull bed slide in and back out again to make the bed move. Does anyone know where the adjustment to the switch is?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

If I understand your problem correctly, I think I can help. If you lift up the mattress towards the head board (more towards galley area) you will see a access hole. That is what mine has but some I have seen have a little wooden hatch there. Take a flashlight and look down in that hole and you will see the mechanism that controls the movement of the bed. It consists of a micro switch, motor, a rod that moves and some wires. What happened to mine is the rod moved so it missed the micro switch not allowing the slide to come in. It really is a poor design and I know others have had similar problems. Move the rod so when it moves it touches the switch which in turn allows the bed to go into position and then allows the slide to move. I hope this is what you are talking about.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
If I understand your problem correctly, I think I can help. If you lift up the mattress towards the head board (more towards galley area) you will see a access hole. That is what mine has but some I have seen have a little wooden hatch there. Take a flashlight and look down in that hole and you will see the mechanism that controls the movement of the bed. It consists of a micro switch, motor, a rod that moves and some wires. What happened to mine is the rod moved so it missed the micro switch not allowing the slide to come in. It really is a poor design and I know others have had similar problems. Move the rod so when it moves it touches the switch which in turn allows the bed to go into position and then allows the slide to move. I hope this is what you are talking about.
Thanks, I am going to see if I can locate the switch. I appreciate your help
Old 04-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2020 View Post

Thanks, I am going to see if I can locate the switch. I appreciate your help
I am pretty sure the idiot at the dealer that worked on my bed, reversed the wires to the switch. I could move the bed up and down while the slide was in, however with the slide out, I could not move the bed. I reversed the wires and now it seems to work fine.