Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bought this coach this summer and it did not come with a coach manual. Have ordered one months ago, but am told weekly it is on backorder. Can anyone provide me with the winterization procedures for the water system.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Bought this coach this summer and it did not come with a coach manual. Have ordered one months ago, but am told weekly it is on backorder. Can anyone provide me with the winterization procedures for the water system.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

There are two general methods:
1) RV anti-freeze
2) Use air to blow out the lines and use the low point drains

Which do you plan to use?

There are extra considerations if you have an ice-maker and a clothes washer/dryer. Do you have either of these?
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I don't know your coach, but I will give you the basics. I use the antifreeze method as it is quick, simple, and inexpensive.

1) Drain black and gray tanks. Rinse out.
2) Drain fresh water tank.
3) Drain hot water tank by removing nylon drain plug. Make sure water is cold in heater. Open pressure relief valve to drain last remaining water in heater tank.
4) Open any low point drains in the coach, usually found in water service area. Close afterward
5) Turn bypass valves to 'winterization' position - should be in water service area, or in cargo area next to water pump.
6) draw RV antifreeze thru suction tube thru water pump to each faucet, first cold, then hot. Run each faucet until pink stuff comes out of faucet. Don't forget toilet and sprayer.
7) Dump antifreeze into all drains to fill traps. Include some in toilet to keep seal moist.

Notes: If you have a water purifier, remove filter and discard (buy new one for next year) and put in bypass mode. Run pink stuff thru purifier nozzle. If you have a washer/dryer setup make sure to run antifreeze to these spigots as well. Don't forget outside shower if you have one.

I have never winterized a washer/dryer unit nor an ice maker, so if you have either of these, they require winterizing as well.

This is my generic take on your coach. Best to get the manuals to verify the process for your specific coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:15 AM   #5

I would add a very important item:

Make sure you push your finger in the fresh water inlet fitting to release any water that is in that line. DONT DO THIS UNDER PRESSURE as you will unseat the rubber washer behind the spring. Make sure the rest of your fresh water system is drained first.

About a cup of water drained out of this fitting...
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Don:

I had done all of the items on your list. When I suction the antifreeze (3 gal) through the tube, it filled the lines that I can see, and then started coming out of the HWH drain plug. I have switched the HWH bypass valvle, so I don't understand how it is getting into the HWH. Also, I can not get any to come out of any of the facets.

I do have an icemaker in the refer, and a washer/dryer combo, but have found the procedures for both of these in previous discussions.

FrontRangeRVR

Thanks for the added tip. I have not seen that referenced in any of the forums and would not have thought of that on my own.

Still confused by the antifreeze in the HWH and no pressure to the taps.

Thanks to all that have responded and am open to any other suggestions.

Bob

Old 11-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I had a coach several years ago with the same problem and discovered the water heater by-pass was leaking thru and trying to fill the water heater first. First time I installed an old by-pass hose I had in the garage, but later when I had time I replaced the original factory installed by-pass valve. Now every year the first thing I do is drain the heater, turn the by-pass valve to off, then while there is still water in the fresh tank I turn on the pump to see if it pumps water into the water heater. If not, the by-pass is working and I haven't wasted several gallons of anti-freeze.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Bob, obviously the bypass for the hot water heater is not operating. Recheck to make sure you have the bypass valve for the heater in the correct position. All your symptoms suggest the bypass is not working.

Check Wagonmaster's suggestions as his prior suggestion is spot-on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I would like to get in on this question too. I had the problem of the antifreeze going into my hot water tank too. My old trailer had two by-pass valves but this 2001 Winnebago Adventurer only has one by-pass valve. I can't figure out if this is the reason or is it a check valve in the line coming from the top of my hot water heater that is not working. I called Winnebago and they suggested I blow it out, that is what they do. I don't like that answer.

Windsurferlady
Kingston, Ontario
Winnebago, Adventurer 35U
Towing 96' Mazda Cronos
Windsurferlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem and found that the HW by-pass valve was plumbed backwards so for now I simply set it to "Normal" when winterizing and then to "By-pass" during normal operation. As soon as I take the coach out of storage when it gets warm I am going to fix the plumbing.
I suggested to another poster with a similar problem and his was also plumbed incorrectly.
Good Luck -- Frank O.