Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Is this typical failure rate?

2015 Itasca Sunstar 26HE

Three main door locks have failed and have had to be replaced.

The hydraulic jack pump had to be replaced along with the motor.

The steps stopped working and the gear and motor had to be replaced.

The carburetor on the generator was faulty and had to be replaced at 2,000 miles and about 80 hours generator time.

The generator with 760 hours stopped working today with a fault code 45. We are on the road in the middle of a six-week fall trip. 2000 miles from home. Fault code 45 means no 110 current is being generated and there are many reasons that could be, most of them expensive.

Just wondering if this thing will ever be reliable for a long trip? We put 36,000 miles on it in the past 3 years. We generally do a five-week trip in the spring in a six-week trip in the fall every year. Seems like I'm almost every trip there's been some sort of repair needed in route. Or when we got home.
Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:17 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have had some of the same problems with my 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE.

So far, I have had issues with the jacks (pump and return lines were replaced), electric steps (motor replaced), and the slideout (front rails replaced).

I have a good dealership. The return jack lines have been replaced twice. My mechanic was concerned about the OEM lines failing again, so they initially used Eaton lines until they found out the Eaton lines were not rated to hold the pressure for long periods of time. Once the Eaton lines started to bulge, they went to Gates lines which seem to be superior to the OEM and Eaton lines. So far, no more problems with the lines; however, the o-ring at the pump started leaking. As expected, the system looked for the next weakest point, which was the pump o-ring. Once replaced with a heavy duty o-ring, the system has been fine (knock on wood).

The jacks and slideout mechanism are all made by Lippert Components (owned by Drew Industries and renamed LCI Industries in December 2016). Drew Industries bought Actuant Corporation (Kwikee Steps) in June 2014.

I know, probably more than you wanted to know....

No problem with my generator, but the original was stolen when my motorhome was burglarized. The original only had about 80 hours on it and the new generator only has about 40 hours on it.

Hope this helps.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote