Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Is it important to put a winnebago on stand jacks?

I've heard two sides to this saying that it's not, others that it is, as for me, I don't know what to think. So I think the best place to come here and see what you guys think?
Winnabango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Any time you raise and work under a vehicle you should use jack stands. If it is up on the levelers, it should be safe to work under, I do, but jack stands would be safer.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

i always use jack stands ''just in case'' to support the end, side, or corner of the moho i am working under. my hwh leveling jacks are good, but not good enough to bet my life on.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:09 AM   #4
I helped | retired moderator

Yes, if you're going to raise it to work under it or it has air suspension.

No, if you're going to store it.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I always use safety stands when working under the coach. The leveling jacks will come down very fast if a hose blows. Just press the store button to see how much time you would have to get out from under a tight spot.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Yes, if you're going to raise it to work under it or it has air suspension.

No, if you're going to store it.

Could you tell me why not? Cause that's what I had in mind. If you're going to live in it, wouldn't that expand the life of the tires?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The winnebago of mine has levelers on it, and I'm looking to expand the life of my tires.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnabango View Post
Could you tell me why not? Cause that's what I had in mind. If you're going to live in it, wouldn't that expand the life of the tires?
i have my moho jacked all the way up while it is in my barn for maintenance and living in it. we are full timers. my moho is out of the wind, rain and sun.
the jack shafts on a moho that is exposed to wind loads can bend. if the moho is off level and ONE rear wheel is off the ground, the parking brake and the transmission parking pawl are not going to keep the moho from moving. this is another jack shaft bending hazard.
when i leave my jacks down for over a week, i clean the shafts with atf or silicon spray and wipe them before retracting them.
imho keeping the weight off of the tires helps make them last longer. they don't flat-spot either. keeping the tires covered when the moho is parked in the sun and weather helps too.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 01-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i have my moho jacked all the way up while it is in my barn for maintenance and living in it. we are full timers. my moho is out of the wind, rain and sun.
the jack shafts on a moho that is exposed to wind loads can bend. if the moho is off level and ONE rear wheel is off the ground, the parking brake and the transmission parking pawl are not going to keep the moho from moving. this is another jack shaft bending hazard.
when i leave my jacks down for over a week, i clean the shafts with atf or silicon spray and wipe them before retracting them.
imho keeping the weight off of the tires helps make them last longer. they don't flat-spot either. keeping the tires covered when the moho is parked in the sun and weather helps too.

So you do think it's a good idea to keep the wight off the tires then?

Sorry for the late reply.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I don't think you should keep the jacks down to keep the weight off the tires as you won't have anything to hold the coach from moving.

The tires are able to support the weight of the RV and do it very well.

Jack stands are used when working underneath unit in case bottle jack fails or hydaulic jacks fail.

One last point when using the hydraulic jacks to level the coach do not, I repeat do not lift the rear tires off the ground as you then will have nothing to hold the RV from rolling as the emergency brake is on the rear wheels as is the tranny being in park.

Keep the tires at the proper inflation and enjoy your rv.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnabango View Post
So you do think it's a good idea to keep the wight off the tires then?

Sorry for the late reply.
with the restrictions listed, i keep the weight off my tires. the moho has to be completely enclosed and on level ground.
with the jacks all the way up and with the tires off the ground, the moho is not as stable as it is with some weight on the tires. it moves around some when people are moving inside the coach. it works for us.