Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Is buying custom made windows worth it?

My folks tell me that I'm wasting my money on this, and that I should just buy propane for the winter years. They say it'll be enough to last throughout winter.
The windows are way to expensive and to much trouble for it. The winnebago I live in is not meant for winter use. I don't know, what do you guys think?
Winnabango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

What is the cost and what kind and year of winne do you own?
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

A lot of people use the reflective bubble pack insulation between the window and the shade. Won't look as nice but a heck of a lot cheaper.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnabango View Post
My folks tell me that I'm wasting my money on this, and that I should just buy propane for the winter years. They say it'll be enough to last throughout winter.
The windows are way to expensive and to much trouble for it. The winnebago I live in is not meant for winter use. I don't know, what do you guys think?
Propane use will be different In South Texas than it will be in Minnesota. The windows will be the same! It depends how severe winters you expect and how warrm you want to be! If I were to attempt to winter in Minnesota You may find me setting the thing on fire trying to stay warm!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
Propane use will be different In South Texas than it will be in Minnesota. The windows will be the same! It depends how severe winters you expect and how warrm you want to be! If I were to attempt to winter in Minnesota You may find me setting the thing on fire trying to stay warm!
Ok well I live in Missiouri, but this state is known for both hot and cold seasons. Like a women suffering from bi-polar manicdepresent.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doit2010 View Post
What is the cost and what kind and year of winne do you own?
Well I called them and they charge 20 an Hr. plus the size and S/H. And it's an hour drive to them.

The year is 1991 Chevy Elandan with a 454 moter.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I'm not exactly sure why I want to say this, and I don't really know the scope of the problem. But I think you should slow down and carefully consider your options. I live in my MH in Oregon through some pretty serious winter stuff, and I don't think the answer is getting new windows, which will be pretty expensive, and (dare I say it?) an area where you might be taken advantage of..... Windows are not the only 'heat-loss" issues with RVs. There are other, less expensive options, to deal with heating problems.

The folks in this forum will help you sort those options, and I would give them the opportunity.... Best of luck on this.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

You must mean dual pane windows? I cannot imagine they will make that much difference even though there is a lot of window area in your MH. The windshield alone will sap a lot of heat from your rig. The remainder of your MH conducts cold like and aluminum brick.

Assuming you need to stay in MO. for the winter and cannot just move to a warmer climate then the solutions may be in the middle.

Insulate your windows in some other fashion, do the same with your roof vents, buy a heating blanket, use an electric heater as well as your furnace.

You will not make it through the winter I believe on one stock tank of propane. You would need an auxilliary tank outside.

All this would cost less than the windows over many seasons and probably be more efficient.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The people that live in their RVs in the winter-time in Wisconsin and Iowa do two things that are not mentioned in earlier postings in this thread:
  1. The put some sort of skirting around the perimeter to keep the wind from blowing underneath the RV. I have seen bales of hay, styrofoam, etc used for this purpose.
  2. They have external LP tanks ... either a couple of bottles or a small tank supplied by a local LP dealer. The small tank on your Elantra will only last a couple of days at most in cold weather
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I lived in a leaky old century house in northeast Ohio for many years. The old glass in the windows was beautiful so rather than replace them we put Scotch brand transparent film up in the fall. You've probably seen it in the home improvement stores. It practically disappears when it is put up and shrunk tight with a hair dryer. It made a world of difference in keeping the old place warm. Hope this helps.
SweetieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetieZ View Post
I lived in a leaky old century house in northeast Ohio for many years. The old glass in the windows was beautiful so rather than replace them we put Scotch brand transparent film up in the fall. You've probably seen it in the home improvement stores. It practically disappears when it is put up and shrunk tight with a hair dryer. It made a world of difference in keeping the old place warm. Hope this helps.
old northeast winter trick thats been used for decades. very effective.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote