Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello! I've had a problem with the below motorhome twice now. The electric steps fail to extend when the door is opened. They are supposed to deploy whether or not the coach power switch is on or not, as a safety feature, right?

It doesn't matter whether I use the "step on/off" switch, and no, the tranny isn't in gear!

I just picked the thing up from the dealer today, and don't want to take it back just yet. Plus, we're going to the Pomona FMCA rally in two weeks.

Anyone had this problem? I'm thinking of getting a portable step stool for just in case!
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello! I've had a problem with the below motorhome twice now. The electric steps fail to extend when the door is opened. They are supposed to deploy whether or not the coach power switch is on or not, as a safety feature, right?

It doesn't matter whether I use the "step on/off" switch, and no, the tranny isn't in gear!

I just picked the thing up from the dealer today, and don't want to take it back just yet. Plus, we're going to the Pomona FMCA rally in two weeks.

Anyone had this problem? I'm thinking of getting a portable step stool for just in case!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HighwayRanger:

Anyone had this problem? I'm thinking of getting a portable step stool for just in case! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the step switch is in the off position then they will not extend unless you have the motor running. After you shut the motor off they will extend once(twice) to allow for a fuel stop unless you turn the switch to the on position. If they don't operate like this then you need to contact your dealer. The safety override is only when the engine is running.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Neil, I disagree. If you open the door, at least on my Itasca, the steps extend. The "off" position on the switch just keeps them extended once they go out and the door shuts. HighwayRanger, is there something on your sensor that makes it think the door isn't open?

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Our steps will extend with the engine running or not running when the door is opened. I haven't tested the operation while in gear and don't suspect I will .

With the switch in one position (I always forget if it in on/off), the steps will retract after the door is closed. We always use this position when the coach is in for service since we don't want anybody (or anything) tripping over the extended step.

In the other switch position, the steps remain extended regardless of door opens/closes. I believe they automatically retract when the engine is started however.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Mine works as John C. describes. I believe "on" means that the steps retract when the door is closed, "off" means that the door open triggers the steps to go out but will not retract the steps until the engine is started.
Frank O.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I believe that all Qwickee steps work the same way [I was wrong once ], ie: when the engine is shut down and the door is opened the steps will go to the position they were in when the engine was last started. We always leave our steps turned 'off' and the steps extended, when the engine is started [with the door closed] the steps will retract; when the engine is turned off and the door is opened the steps will extend and stay that way. If we park next to a high curb and don't want the steps to extend when we open the door [with the engine off] we just turn the step switch on then off and they will not extend when the door is opened. HTH
Loren
Old 02-13-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

The steps on my '99 Adventurer were working inconsistent at one point. A friend suggested I check the ground ...

I crawled underneath and found the screw connecting the ground wire (green on my rig) was not tight ... I did a little sanding and a little tightening ... the problem went away ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

While we are talking about steps lets not forget they should be lubed every so often as well. Spray all parts that move and pivot or they will eventually get gummed up and not close or extend all the way.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

John C and Franko have it right. Swith on...door open--&gt;steps go out. Door close &lt;-- steps go in. Motor on/off dosen't matter. Swith off..door open step goes out stays out when door closes. Motor on steps go in when door closes...a safety feature.

jk
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Check the magnetic switch on the door. If the magnet is missing or out of position on the door the steps will not come out when the door is opened. The switch or wiring to the switch could also be bad.
1995Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:02 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I experienced the same problem on my 35U. The steps would not extend at times and after a day or so they would extend. In talking with the previous owner he said to use some spray lube( WD-40,etc), which I did. The problem went away and I will, on ocassion, use the spray lube as a preventative measure as well as checking all connections periodically.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I've been having problems with the chassis (starting) battery getting run down. I've identified the problem with the steps. When the starter battery is low, they will not work. I would have thought they would run off the coach batteries, but not in my Itasca. When I put a blade type battery disconnect switch on the starting battery to protect it while in storage, disconnecting the battery also disables the steps. Who knew!

Thanks for all your help!
Old 03-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

If you have the new style controller the steps operate as follows:

Operation of the Kwikee's IMGL (integrated motor/gear box/linkage) step system is
controlled by a 9510 Control Unit (short for the part number, 909510000.) The 9510
Control is very similar to Pre-9510 Controls with one basic difference:
The 9510 Controlled step can only be locked in the fully extended position.
Under normal operation the step cannot be locked in the retracted position. The only
way the step could actually be locked in the retracted position would be if the step was
retracted and then physically disconnected from the power source of the coach.

The steps prior to the 9510 controller could be locked in the opened or closed position when the ignition is in the off position but when the ignition is in the on position the steps will revert to automatic operation regardles of the lockout switch position until the ignition is turned off again at which time they will cycle one last time to allow you to exit the vehicle.

Excerpt from model 888 manual:

The control unit is essentially a current sensor as well as a switching device.
When the motor assembly moves the step tread to its extended position, or
stops moving because of an obstruction such as a curb or the binding of a
damaged or bent step frame, the motor draws a larger amount of current. The
control unit 'senses' the larger current draw and shuts off power to the motor.
All control units are equipped with an ignition override system. This system is designed
so that the vehicle will not be driven with the step in the extended position. When the step
is locked in the extended position (override switch is in the 'on' position), the door closed,
and the ignition is turned on, the ignition override system will engage and the step will
automatically retract.
The 'Auto Extend' feature is another safety feature designed to extend the step when the
door is opened for the first time after the vehicle ignition is turned off, even if the override
switch is turned on. When the ignition is switched on, the function of the override switch is
disabled and the step will always extend when the door is opened and retract when the door
is closed.
Some van steps use door-switch-only operation. When the door is opened the step extends
a n d t h e step retracts when the door is closed.
NOTE: Follow the instructions in this manual carefully. Failure to do so may result
in damage to the step control, the motor and/or the vehicle wiring. Such damage
may also result in voiding the warranty.

NOTICE
An important change covered in this owner's manual is the "Override Switch" (previously called the "Power
Switch"). The name changed because of a change of functionality from the former "Power Switch".
The new Control Units are equipped with an ignition override system designed to prevent the vehicle from being
driven with the step in the extended position (OVERRIDE SWITCH IS IN THE 'ON' POSITION), the door is closed,
and the ignition is turned on, the ignition override system will engage and the step will automatically retract.
Please note that is a change from the "Power Switch", which needed to be in the "OFF" position to lock
the step out.

See:

http://www.kwikee.com/PDFDocuments/9...ationGuide.pdf

http://www.kwikee.com/PDFDocuments/888StepManual.pdf
Old 03-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I learned the hard way about the step switch.
We had the switch turned on and the steps came up when we went to sleep for the night.
A 'Helpful Hanna' inside the motorhome accidently turned the switch to the 'off' position. in the middle of the night i was carrying our 75 pound Irish Wolfhound puppy out the door to go to the bathroom and guess what? Since the switch was in the 'off' position, the steps did not go down and puppy and I fell a couple feet to the ground. Ouch.
Lesson learned.