Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Intermittent DC power when travelling

Something started going wrong - go figure. We were traveling on a short trip about a month ago and the DC power plugs in the Coach when off. Lost my Sirius, and other Cig lighter plug power.

After a short while it came back on again. I didn't think much of it since it was working again. Then on the last trip out, it did it again, and intermittently. The EMS screeched a high pitch sound. This happened several times and only on the "rough" roads. Once it was on and we were on smooth roads it stayed on.

Yes, I know, I have a loose connection somewhere. Hoping someone can give me a starting point to look at.

Tks.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

If you can track all effected components to one fuse, start at the fuse, then if your using a lighter socket for power, power & ground , at the socket.
If you have problems with multiple fused circuits or the possibility of inline splices. Sorry your on your own.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I also am travelilng and this past week I lost all 12 volt power to the house side of the RV. Any item that needed a 12 volt touch would not work such as floor furnace, over head lights, air conditioner, etc. Things that operate off the engine batteries such as slides and jacks worked fine. I ran searches but didn't find anything real useful so I called my buddy Doorguy and we discussed this the problem. My RV has a switch on the dash labeled Radio Power Main on the right side of the switch and AUX on the left. In my case I decided to pull that switch and test it. As I wiggled the switch to get it out of the dash the 12 volt power came back on so I presume it was a bad connection on the back of that switch. When I get to a real town I'll try to buy a replacement switch. I hope your solution is as simple.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Something started going wrong - go figure. We were traveling on a short trip about a month ago and the DC power plugs in the Coach when off. Lost my Sirius, and other Cig lighter plug power.

After a short while it came back on again. I didn't think much of it since it was working again. Then on the last trip out, it did it again, and intermittently. The EMS screeched a high pitch sound. This happened several times and only on the "rough" roads. Once it was on and we were on smooth roads it stayed on.

Yes, I know, I have a loose connection somewhere. Hoping someone can give me a starting point to look at.

Tks.
My first guess is grounding. I suggest that you locate each of the ground busses and look for corrosion, overheating and loose connections. I wish I could be of more help but I don't know where your ground buss is located. I hope someone else can pick up on this and give you a better idea.

Rick
Old 05-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the replies. Monday I'll call Winnebago and see if they have an idea also.

Bob,
My loss was also the same. All components requiring 12 volts, and the EMS screeching like a banshee.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I also am travelilng and this past week I lost all 12 volt power to the house side of the RV. Any item that needed a 12 volt touch would not work such as floor furnace, over head lights, air conditioner, etc. Things that operate off the engine batteries such as slides and jacks worked fine. I ran searches but didn't find anything real useful so I called my buddy Doorguy and we discussed this the problem. My RV has a switch on the dash labeled Radio Power Main on the right side of the switch and AUX on the left. In my case I decided to pull that switch and test it. As I wiggled the switch to get it out of the dash the 12 volt power came back on so I presume it was a bad connection on the back of that switch. When I get to a real town I'll try to buy a replacement switch. I hope your solution is as simple.
Bob
That switch should only affect the dash radio, not the other items that dropped off. You may have a switch to disconnect battery power on the dash though, that would.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks John.

My house auxiliary battery switch is near my mid-entry door. It is functioning. Push it to off and it beeps, no house lights. push it to on and it beeps, house lights work. I have not pulled it out to see if the connections are tight.

It goes into Freightliner tomorrow for it's annual physical. When I get it back I'll look into that.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
That switch should only affect the dash radio, not the other items that dropped off. You may have a switch to disconnect battery power on the dash though, that would.

Yes, you are 100% correct. The switch I was pulling is directly under the radio switch I mentioned in my post and is labeled Aux Bat on the right side of the rocker switch and Off on the left side. Sorry about that and thank you for noticing my error.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Pulled the Aux Bat Switch and all wires were connected tightly.

When on pedestal power, everything works. Disconnect electric and there is no power to the house lights, pump, or cig lighter sockets. Pressing the aux power button to off provides the anticipated "chirp" and back to the on position again "chirps."

Drove it 40 miles to Freightliner Service and the ems chirped about 7 times as I hit bumps but no power to the sockets.

Me thinks this one is going to be a difficult one to find. We'll see.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Pulled the Aux Bat Switch and all wires were connected tightly.

When on pedestal power, everything works. Disconnect electric and there is no power to the house lights, pump, or cig lighter sockets. Pressing the aux power button to off provides the anticipated "chirp" and back to the on position again "chirps."

Drove it 40 miles to Freightliner Service and the ems chirped about 7 times as I hit bumps but no power to the sockets.

Me thinks this one is going to be a difficult one to find. We'll see.
Wayne, how are you with a voltmeter? I can think of many possibilities but without hard evidence everything is just smoke and mirrors.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Wayne, The aux battery switch itself most likely only controls a relay/solenoid that actually provides the power to the coach. If you do a search on bypassing the salesman's switch there are pictures and instructions on how to check/fix this.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Wayne, how are you with a voltmeter? I can think of many possibilities but without hard evidence everything is just smoke and mirrors.
I do know my way around a volt/ohm meter. What are the possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Wayne, The aux battery switch itself most likely only controls a relay/solenoid that actually provides the power to the coach. If you do a search on bypassing the salesman's switch there are pictures and instructions on how to check/fix this.
Where do I find the pictures and instructions? Thanks.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Where do I find the pictures and instructions? Thanks.
Different manufactures use various ways of controlling the cut off. This is actually from the Monaco group but I am assuming you would have something similar. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/bypa...ch-190710.html

I would assume if you have a relay you could find it by having someone flip the cut off switch while you look/listen in the compartments. You should be able to hear it open/close.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Here is a link to the Battery Disconnect Solenoid, it is on page 13. The switches are on this diagram, 12 volt Body Diagram, there are some plugs and sockets in the harness. These diagrams are serial number specific. Check here 2008 Destination 39W Wiring Diagrams.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

On our Vista, the solenoids were located behind the outside panel that had 12volt circuit breakers. I lost all 12 volt power. I found that water had been getting into the compartment where the solenoids were located and that numerous connections had been sitting in water. All sorts of corrosion...even killed the batteries...
Old 05-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Loose Wiring

I had a similar problem on my new Meridian 36M. After two months in the shop with marginal success I had occasion to install a CB radio. In the process I discovered a ground lug under the dash that all of the wiring terminates on. Upon inspection the nut was not even close to being tight. No more reboot of my rear camera monitor.
rvrlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Thanks to all, and for the links to the diagrams, John.

I'll see what I can find.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

This is why I love this forum. Ask the right question and ll sorts of help arrives. Now it is up to Wayne. rvrlyle, that was a great post of a hard fine. I know I was enlightened. Grounding is always a problem to be discovered. But, the firewall stud? Great post.

Garykk, where was the water coming from? What a nightmare! I hope all is well now. I think I will open the cover and take a peak. I have no problems but why let them find me? I do have water in the bay next to the slide tray. I know it is from the potable water tank and only appears after a trip. But, I'm off topic.

Keep us posted Wayne.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Called Winnebago - technicians are nice to talk to. They said to check the relay in my shore power compartment and ensure all wires were tight. I'll get a ROUND TUIT in the next couple days.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
This is why I love this forum. Ask the right question and ll sorts of help arrives. Now it is up to Wayne. rvrlyle, that was a great post of a hard fine. I know I was enlightened. Grounding is always a problem to be discovered. But, the firewall stud? Great post.

Garykk, where was the water coming from? What a nightmare! I hope all is well now. I think I will open the cover and take a peak. I have no problems but why let them find me? I do have water in the bay next to the slide tray. I know it is from the potable water tank and only appears after a trip. But, I'm off topic.

Keep us posted Wayne.
The water was coming from the road when traveling in the rain, the compartment shell was not tight against the body, actually large gap half way around...sealed with foam and caulk...I left a hole in bottom of compartment so water could drain...strapped wires off the floor of the compartment. I know of others that had the same problem...

Tags
power, travel