Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Went to the MH this afternoon and looked in the power compartment and all around it without removing any panels. Never seen any type of solenoid or relay. It goes into the shop on Monday and I'll let them figure it out.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
The water was coming from the road when traveling in the rain, the compartment shell was not tight against the body, actually large gap half way around...sealed with foam and caulk...I left a hole in bottom of compartment so water could drain...strapped wires off the floor of the compartment. I know of others that had the same problem...
Thanks for this info. Another quality control issue. We love our Winne products but hate them at the same time. I'll crawl under the rig later today and see what I can. My leak is behind the potable water tank around the front compartment bulkhead. Rain or shine I get water.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Went to the MH this afternoon and looked in the power compartment and all around it without removing any panels. Never seen any type of solenoid or relay. It goes into the shop on Monday and I'll let them figure it out.
Wayne, you have the weekend. Follow the cables. There has to be a compartment where they find a relay or two to attach to. I wish someone with your model coach were on board to point you to the right location. They are so big that they can't hide. You simply have not found them yet. Mine were behind a box that was mounted on the compartment wall and I had switches on it. The wires fed from behind from the battery compartment and the relays were mounted to the wall under the box.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Rick,
I cannot crawl around under the MH. I'm to robust, and my age lets me know I should not be doing those type things. I'll have to sue my "rainy" day money.

I had thought about doing that, then I thought better about it.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Rick,
I cannot crawl around under the MH. I'm to robust, and my age lets me know I should not be doing those type things. I'll have to sue my "rainy" day money.

Thanks.

On my RV at the rear side of the electrical compartment is a "panel or wall" held by four or six screws and behind that panel are fuse boxes and other things. Not hard to get to but may be difficult to determine what they do or are supposed to control.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Rick,

Thanks.
I'm with you on age at any rate. See post #25. My relays were in the cord/inverter compartment, on the opposite side of the coach as the batteries. Each coach is different. These relays are accessible in one of your compartments. Besides, you must have a young buck around willing to look under the coach if need be to follow the cables. I think we all hate to have you raid the pig VAULT to pay for a $35 relay installation.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Thanks Rick.

My children, both aged, call it the SKI Mobile. SKI= Spending Kids Inheritance. Since I can't take it with me I'm not going to leave any thing.

It's going to be in the shop for jack problems so might as well get them to fix it. DW has, in the fashion of politeness, named it "Citrus."
Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks Rick.

My children, both aged, call it the SKI Mobile. SKI= Spending Kids Inheritance. Since I can't take it with me I'm not going to leave any thing.

It's going to be in the shop for jack problems so might as well get them to fix it. DW has, in the fashion of politeness, named it "Citrus."
Too funny! And, they think THEY deserve it? You have a good prospective but I hope you are spending more on your fun than you are on the Citrus.

Are '05 Vectra was becoming a money pit so we opted for this rig. So far so good. Been in it about a year. It is so nice to know that the batteries won't be overcharged (Magnum inverter), the frig will stay cold (residential), the slides will come in (basement not on them) and the hoses will stow (no more reals). As full-timers this is a real dream home.

Hope you get things back in shape. You have had your share of trouble lately.

Rick Y
Old 05-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

One of these days I'll win the lottery. Oh, wait, you have to purchase a ticket to win.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:39 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
One of these days I'll win the lottery. Oh, wait, you have to purchase a ticket to win.
I think you are putting your bucks in a better place. At least you know where your money is going.

I take it the rig is in the shop? I hope you are on the road again soon. Keep us posted.

Rick Y
Old 05-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

It goes in tonight for jacks, and the dc problem.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It goes in tonight for jacks, and the dc problem.
Where are you taking it? Are you in the Dallas area?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

No, I'm in Texas City, TX.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:06 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
No, I'm in Texas City, TX.
I had the frig coil go on my last rig. A mobile RV repair guy replaced it for me in the Walmart parking lot in Houston. He seemed good and knowledgeable. I might have his card if you need him. If you were east of Dallas I could recommend a dealer. In any case repairs are in the process for you (I hope).
Old 05-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Talked to a technician yesterday at the Dealer. It was the Auxiliary Battery switch solenoid/relay. He said they tapped on it with a hammer and could hear it clicking on and off.

On the 2008 Destination the solenoid/relay is in the electrical compartment. It is behind the push button circuit breaker plate. It is necessary to take the play off to get to the solenoid/relay.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

Thought we had lost you Wayne. Good to hear that the problem is being repaired. Though hard to find on some coaches, the problem is still a common one. All should be well now. When do you get the coach back?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

That's why you thought I was lost! :-)

The place I take it is not the fastest in town when it comes to repairs, ordering parts, and generally working on one thing at a time. I complained to the service manager once when I had two items that needed fixing. I found out that they started on one and needed a part, so they ordered it. When it came in the fixed it, THEN they started working on the other non-related problem. Go figure.

I made the DC problem easy for them as I had called Winnebago and they told me where the relay was and I passed it on to the service manager. That might cut the labor cost a little. Yeah, right!

They have ordered a solenoid for the hydraulic jack pump. Talk about a PITA failure. When parked the right side would dip down after an hour or two. I'd have to turn the ignition on and bump it back up to keep it level. I tried finding sites that were already level but that is not always possible. It was good when the right side was higher than the left, I could level, then just bump the right side jacks to the ground for "some" stability. Any pressure on the right side and after a while it would dip.

Strange thing is the left side did that same thing a couple months ago. They fixed that one and the right side started. Pretty soon I'll have all replaced parts.

My wife, out of politeness, named it "Citrus."
Old 05-22-2014, 07:13 AM   #39
Winnebago Master

So, you are still on the planet! Good to hear thw progress is being made, Wayne. I hope the solenoid they use has silver contacts and is not the original. These things are available through the local automotive parts store. A 200 Amp, continuous duty cycle is all they need to know, and the terminal styles but this is adaptable.

About the jacks? Dose your coach use HWH leveling? I think Winne puts the leveling pump/tank under the steps. The valve controls have a "T" handle on each. Sometimes a a little turn on these will stop the jacks from leaking down. The handles are small and hard to get pressure to. The can be over tightened if care is not taken and cause damage to the seat. These "T" handles are what are backed out to release pressure in an emergence "if the jacks won't retract on their own".

About the fix it all at once syndrome? I think this justifies charging you more money for time spent walking back and forth to the coach. Besides, Joe only works on jacks. Harry is the electrician and is working on another job. When the part comes in for the electrical Joe will work on the jacks, order parts, and when he is done, git the coach to Harry. Harry will discover his part that came in is the wrong one and he will have to order another. In a month or two you will get your coach back and are to bow in reverence because they were "able" to hunt the parts down and get your fixed so quickly. "Mr Wayne, this job usually takes 3 to 5 months. We squeezed you in as it is."

Good luck, Wayne. Wish I knew a mobile guy near you who could get you back on the road quickly and I hope I am wrong about your shop. Happy trails. Look forward to the next update.

Rick Y
Old 05-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #40
Winnebago Master

I think you hit their service right on the nail head.

I have Kwikee Hydraulic Level Best system. No springs, hydraulic extend, hydraulic return. No levers.

I'll wager they went with the cheapest solenoids, but I'll pay the premium price. :-(

If they last another 5 years I'll look into the silver plated contacts.

Tags
power, travel