Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Anyone experienced the sliding doors starting to bow or curve and rub on the frame? Our 38T has two for the bathroom and one all of sudden has a nasty bow. Don't know how it happened and it does not appear to be off the tracts.

Thanks,
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Anyone experienced the sliding doors starting to bow or curve and rub on the frame? Our 38T has two for the bathroom and one all of sudden has a nasty bow. Don't know how it happened and it does not appear to be off the tracts.

Thanks,
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Old 01-22-2008, 04:41 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Kyle,

In my travels, I cannot remember anyone talking about sliding doors warping. That would seem strange to me, given the sturdy construction of the doors.

We have one single and one double sliding doors. Not one problem so far.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Kyle:

I would think if the wood in the doors was properly kiln dried before construction, they would not be warping now. Is it possible that you have some sort of moisture problem near the door/s?

I would contact Winnebago and see if they might replace the door.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would be amazed and astounded if the doors were actually warped or bowed - they are hollow core and should be immune from warping.

My money is on a track or hardware problem. I recently had the 'keeper' (for the lack of a better term) that keeps the two doors captured together while they operate (slide) come loose. This little thingamabobber is at the bottom of the door. Forgot exactly where.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem where the bifold door to the bedroom would bind up at the top track and would not close. The track itself needed to be raised at the far end from the door pivot. This involved removing the track and "header" over the door and shaving the track so the track could be raised at the one end. I used a table saw and dado blade, but there may be other ways to handle it. I did not have to modify the oak trim on either side of the header, so it looks as original.

I cannot see any warpage in the doors, and this condition existed when I bought the rig used. Now all is well.
rickwils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have had both of my bedroom sliding wood doors repaleced due to warping,bowing and scraping together.I attribute my problem to the coach siitting in high humidty not being used, Air Conditioner not on etc before we bought it which was new but it sat on the lot for a long time, before we came along

Bob O'Brien
2005 Horizon 40AD
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Well not sure what caused the issue but here are some photos. You can see that the door is 'bowed' in the middle and it is still on it's tracks. That was the first thing I checked. We have been fulltiming in the RV for the last 18mths and all of a sudden this occurs? Considering the RV has stayed in 3 places for any period of time, Apple Hill, Ontario in good weather (e.g. early Fall), Maine in the late Fall and Christmas and Virginia Beach, VA 80% of the time. We haven't changed our heating/cooling methods and we use the fireplace, two electric heaters and the heatpump/furnace depending on how cold it gets. We also have a small humidifier as the heat makes the air very dry and it barely keeps up.

Looks like I will have to call Winnie for this because I agree these doors should not bow/warp as they are not wood. The other bathroom door is only 5ft away and it's fine.

Tks.
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Old 01-25-2008, 06:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

After seeing the photos, my guess is the light wood framing inside the door has warped. I would suggest you contact [email protected], send him the photos and ask for assistance. Bryan is a good guy and will help.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tks smlranger, I will send Bryan a note and see whether he can assist.

Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Old 01-26-2008, 04:30 AM   #11
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Is the door warped or is the wall bowed?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Kyle, I had the same problem with on of my pocket door. The dealer was not able to resolve the issue and we drove back to the factory to replace it.
We live in the desert and it seems that the hotter it got the more the warp. The new door we got at the factory has started to delaminate a little.
Winne reps and my file have been updated, but can,t keep running back to the factory for service.

Thinking of going back to a rally and getting a new replacememt.

rab

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

GG1, it is definitely the door. I considered the same thing but if you look at the third photo, the bow in the door is evident.

smlrange, Bryan's e-mail address bounced back. Either I copied it incorrectly or maybe it has changed?

rab, unfortunately I am a long way from the factory, I wish I could get there because I would prefer they to the work than the local dealer where I am staying.

Tks.
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Old 01-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle241:
GG1, it is definitely the door. I considered the same thing but if you look at the third photo, the bow in the door is evident.

smlrange, Bryan's e-mail address bounced back. Either I copied it incorrectly or maybe it has changed?

[email protected]

or you can try [email protected] and make the message to Bryan's attention.

rab, unfortunately I am a long way from the factory, I wish I could get there because I would prefer they to the work than the local dealer where I am staying.

Tks.
Kyle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>