Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2016, 08:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Installed Trik-L-Start Now A Couple Questions

My Coach is a 2004 Meridian 34H (New To Us) as far as I know the Invertor/Charger is stock Dimensions 2000watt.

I am very lucky and am able to park my MH here at home. I have read the manual and know that I should not leave the MH plugged in 100% of the time because it will boil/fry/ruin/kill the batteries.

My question is; What is the correct procedure I should be using? In order to maintain my batteries.....

I am retired and am at home 24/7 unless we are traveling?

Thanks LeeB
Old 01-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Lee ...

I leave my rig plugged in all the time ... when it is stored and when I am living in it.

I have Walmart house batteries and they last about 4 years between replacements ... check the fluid level in your batteries ... and keep the corrosion off the cables ... I equalize the batteries about twice a year

You can see the amperage you are drawing in the lower right column of your all in one place display

Glad you got your T-L-S installed ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm plugged in all the time, unless on the road. Then the batteries are charged by the alternator.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

You can leave it plugged in 24/7 as I do all the time and I have a trickle charger on Chassis battery.

When I run the generator once a month I check the electrolyte level and ad distilled water if necessary and clean the cables if needed.

You should not have any problems.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

LeeB, I also keep our coach plugged in 24/7. The inverter/charger in your coach will not over heat the batteries. We had a 03 Journey kept it plugged all the time never had a problem. Just check the water in the batteries every couple of months.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
Lee ...

I leave my rig plugged in all the time ... when it is stored and when I am living in it.

I have Walmart house batteries and they last about 4 years between replacements ... check the fluid level in your batteries ... and keep the corrosion off the cables ... I equalize the batteries about twice a year

You can see the amperage you are drawing in the lower right column of your all in one place display

Glad you got your T-L-S installed ...
Thanks....... But whats Equalize? and not sure what your saying about lower right hand column... All I have in my One Place is a toggle that lets me see house or chassis voltage
Old 01-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I'm plugged in all the time, unless on the road. Then the batteries are charged by the alternator.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

You can leave it plugged in 24/7 as I do all the time and I have a trickle charger on Chassis battery.

When I run the generator once a month I check the electrolyte level and ad distilled water if necessary and clean the cables if needed.

You should not have any problems.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
LeeB, I also keep our coach plugged in 24/7. The inverter/charger in your coach will not over heat the batteries. We had a 03 Journey kept it plugged all the time never had a problem. Just check the water in the batteries every couple of months.
Thanks
Old 01-01-2016, 09:42 PM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

Our's stays plugged in 24/7 too unless traveling. You may also want to investigate adding mineral oil to your wet cell batteries. It will eliminate corrosion. I have 10 six V wet cells and have had mineral oil in them for about 6 -7 years now.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My 2008 37H also has the Dimensions 2KW unit. If yours is the same as mine, it is a 4 stage charger that includes automatic equalization. If you don't have the manual for yours, you can find one on-line. I had mine plugged in for about 6 months in storage, and it boiled out batteries that were only a year old. Based on that, I no longer leave the batteries connected full time. Before storage, I fully charge both banks of batteries with the Dimensions unit, then disconnect the MH from shore power. I then disconnect the ground connection for both house and chassis banks and install a small maintainer on each bank. So far, so good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:05 AM   #10
aa1ssradio

Mine is plugged in all the time also. I leave refrigerator on also. Never had an issue with batteries frying due to being plugged in.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thank you all for the response's. I will leave her plugged in and keep a eye on the battery levels.......

Sure love having my MH stored at home......
Old 01-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Don't forget to keep the trickle-charger on the chassis batteries (like Tom-NC in post #4 says). If your WBGO is wired like mine, the Dimensions unit will only charge the coach batteries.

\ken

PS. Before we went FT, we kept ours plugged-in all of the time, too. But our Dimensions unit is only a three-stage charger (does not equalize). For us, keeping it plugged in was never a problem.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Lee;

My coach stays plugged in 24/7 and I have no battery problems. If you have a multi stage charger you should not have problems either.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Lee B,
Your 34H is a great coach. The Dimensions 2000 watt Inverter/Charger that came with it, is a good unit. It's got a bad rap due to some issues they've had with some of them (the company that is). But, as has been stated, it's basically a three stage battery maintainer/charger, on the charging side.

In that, as you more than likely know, it will enter a "Bulk" charge when your house batteries have been drawn down to a level that, that charger sees a need to apply the bulk rate. Once the Bulk rate has brought up the battery state of charge to satisfy requirements, it enters the ABSORBTION rate of charge. That's the intermediate charge rate. It will stay at that charge rate 'till it's satisfied of the batteries state of charge, is ready for the last charge rate.

And that is the FLOAT rate. At that rate, your batteries are receiving anything from 1 amp to around 3 or so. Now, the Dimensions unit will hold that float rate for as long as it determines it needs to. And, don't forget, there's always some form of parasitic draw on both sets of batteries, the house and chassis. So, in the float rate, it's not only maintaining the house batteries but, competing with the parasitic draw too.

Now, yes, that Dimensions unit also has an "Equalizing" charge too. The main difference between the Dimensions unit and other Inverter/Charger on the market is, the Dimension unit AUTOMATICALLY enters the Equalize state, every 5th cycle. What that means is, every 5th time you plug in and, the charger goes through it's three cycles of charging, it will self enter the Equalizing stage.

When it does that, it will kick up the voltage to around 15 volts or so. It's doing that so the internal maintenance (de-sulfation etc.) can be accomplished. Now, when that Dimensions unit is in the Equalizing stage, you already know that your batteries (house ones) are going to raise in temperature too. That means you're going to smell them and, upon checking them, you'll see and hear HEAT in the form of hot fumes emitting from them.

That Dimensions unit will run the Equalizing stage for a given amount of time. Then is auto shuts down to go back to the float rate. The problem with the Dimensions unit is, YOU have no control of when that unit goes into the Equalization mode. Whereas , the Magnum unit I have that replaced my Dimensions unit, has a manual selection for Equalization mode. Not the end of the world, just a different feature.

Now, if you've installed the Trik-L-Start, then you should be covered in keeping both sets of batteries charged. But, as with all things man made, and since you're retired 24/7 and live at home with your coach, as I do, you'd be good to make at least a weekly appearance at your battery compartment for inspection to make sure all is well and, you're not having any issues.

On a final note. If that Dimensions unit should go bad, as they sometimes do, you've got choices. One, the company will rebuild it, for around $550.00 or so and update it with better algorithms so it "THINKS" better. Or, you can do what I did and, get lucky and find a nice Magnum on Craigs list. We paid $500 for a 6 month old Magnum 2012MS (model number, not year) and, it's been working flawless for about 2 years now. Just some info for you.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Lee... Scott is spot on. I've got a similar rig, so most of this holds true for me too. After reading most of they thread, I too had questions on what stages my Dimension Inverter had, and that i had to research "equalizing" but as usual, Scott has a very clear and informative post and answered my concerns.. thanks Scott.
Lee, Pretty much what everyone has said.. your likely all good with your setup and TrickLStart.
Craigslist for a Magnum.. hmm.. didn't think of that. great tip! I know i've got to upgrade it when i add Solar.
-mike
CigarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Well I now have a good idea of what I am going to do... Keep it plugged in and watch as things progress..... Right now 26 hours after the House Batteries read 13.4 and the Chassis batteries read 13.1.......

After digging through my Manual case (which looks like it was a Tornado hit it) I found a business card attached to the WIN-12X20B3R1T Manual and the card is that of Doug Blanchard (Engineer) so I am wondering if the Unit has not already been re-built by the former owner?.....

I wish I would have got some records, but I got zip, nada, nothing... So I am going into this blind so to speak......
Old 01-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Plugged in 24/7. Using a newer 4 stage converter\charger. House batteries are 2 Lifeline AMG. An Expensive battery. Maintenance free. 2 1/2 years in service an I have never had to do any cleaning, or service, battery compartment has stayed spotless. No leaking or fuzzy white stuff or checking fluids... Worth the cost, for me anyway.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarBoy View Post
Lee... Scott is spot on. I've got a similar rig, so most of this holds true for me too. After reading most of they thread, I too had questions on what stages my Dimension Inverter had, and that i had to research "equalizing" but as usual, Scott has a very clear and informative post and answered my concerns.. thanks Scott.
Lee, Pretty much what everyone has said.. your likely all good with your setup and TrickLStart.
Craigslist for a Magnum.. hmm.. didn't think of that. great tip! I know i've got to upgrade it when i add Solar.
-mike
Hey Mike,
Thanks for the kind words. Always glad to be of assistance, when I can. As for picking up the Magnum on C/L, it basically was a sheer stroke of luck.
After doing a bunch of analyzing to find out what was wrong with my Dimensions unit, (it flat out stopped charging the house batteries but, all else was good). I made a call to Dimensions and, that's when I was explained that it could be rebuilt with better logic than it came with, for a mere $550.00, plus shipping, both ways.

Well, the dear wife, bless her heart, was cruising around on Craigs list and it was amazing that at that precise time, the Magnum appeared. As stated, it was/is an 2012ME which, is the Modified Sign Wave unit. I was thinking of a full sign wave but, the cost was just a bit prohibitive. And this one popped up for $700.

Well, I made the call to the owner and asked why he what the story was on it. He said it was only six months old but, with his wifes medical condition, he had to get a full sign wave. So, we haggled a bit and, I picked it up for $500. Just pure luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led