Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurous2 View Post
When we were camping with the grand kids I always worried they would run into the slide out sides. I bought 2 swimming noodles in bright yellow. Cut them in smaller pieces, made a slit length wise in each and slipped them on each edge of the slide out. It works great. the bright color makes them very visible. I still use them... for my sake!!!!

You can even pull the side out in with them attached but that probably is not advisable!

I carry lengths of foam pipe wrap ($2.00/4ft piece) for padding purposes- it comes already slit! Of course, it's not safety-yellow like the noodles.
Very handy all-purpose padding for guy wires, tent stakes, cartop loads, sticky-outy windows etc. I also stick a chunk on my awning arm so the trailer door doesn't get banged up if it hits there.

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Cliff,
Sorry about your experience. The battery compartment door on our coach is also the water heater compartment door and when done doing a check on the house batts that I did some maintenance on yesterday, I shut the door. But, that door has an opening in it for the heat vent of the water heater. I put my thumb on the lower edge of the hole for the water heater vent and then proceeded to shut the compartment door.

Well, that hole for the water heater vent is precisely the same size as the water heater vent, so I jambed my thumb nail in there as I was attempting to shut the compartment door. Needless to say, it's turning different colors about now. Oh well, it's not the first time.

Now, here's a suggestion, in all my years of outfitting new fire trucks for service, we found lots of products that we never knew existed. One was "edging" for sharp edges. They make it for all sorts of thickness and types of edges. I've done the "razor blade hose trick" and while it's OK, it too has hazards if you slip with the razor blade. Some of your more well equipped hardware stores and auto parts stores will have protective edging. It's no biggie but, I thought I give you another way of covering up that ornery edge and others.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I have 9 tubs in the street side slideout and it took a little time to get the sizes and all that stuff worked out but it is a good way to store your stuff. Sorry to hear about your trouble.
9 Tubs !!! WOWzer !

I thought my 5 cloth bags was overkill.... lol, but they do very readily compress or fold into the space available !

Sharp edges are the reason I have a roll full of various files, rasps, and chisels !

Be safe, Enjoy the Open Roads... Thank a Vet for your freedoms !
Old 06-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
It hurts just reading about it
I agree.....my toes curled as I read it. ....and I'm not one to shy away from blood, etc.
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #25
edj
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
If you want something to put over the edge of the lip that cut you, go to any auto parts store and get the door edge guard for a car. It will slip right over, you can cut it to fit the length you need, and it has glue inside it to hold it in place once it is on.
The door edge guard also works well on the bottom of propane tanks, keeping them from getting rusty.
Soon after I cut my head on the slide corner, I went to Camping World and got a set of slide corner guards. They mount onto the sharp corner of the slideout and are relatively soft to protect the careless (me...). I put a bead of caulk along the edge to keep the water out of the glue area. It works well as I have already given it a "test"....
If I am going to be at a location for some length of time, I have a length of pool noodle that I split and put that on the lower edge of the slide out also.

BTW, the CW link photo shows the guard as a black color. They are available in either black or white.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all of the ideas on padding. I will try one as soon as I get the MH out of the shop. My suspension upgrades are in progress at Redlands Truck and RV.

By the way, I still have trouble typing thanks to this stupid cut. Hopefully I get the stitches out Wednesday.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

You can save on the noodles, padding, door strips and the like by just wearing a helmet and mittens.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
You can save on the noodles, padding, door strips and the like by just wearing a helmet and mittens.
Thanks for the tip.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote