Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question Ignition Question

2003 Itasca Horizon, Freightliner, Cummins 300. When I turn on the key, there is a click and then all the lights come on that tell you, Low Air, Brakes, Oil Pressure, etc. Sometimes lately that doesn't happen or it's slow to come up. I sometimes have to turn off and on the key again before all the lights and buzzers come on. The batteries are charged, the coach is always plugged in when at home.

What should I be looking for? Some kind of solenoid, bad switch?

Thanks!
Phil
Old 10-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Phil, you might have better luck posting this in the Freightliner section, as it's all chassis-related, not Winnebago.

Having said that, two quick comments... it's the chassis batteries, not the house, that would be affecting this, and being plugged in doesn't help unless you've installed a Trik-l-Start or similar. Also, I had a similar thing that was a loose ignition key assembly, allowing it to turn and not make good contact. I rotated it back to the right position and tightened the silver lock ring around it and problem went away. May not be your issue though.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
YC1
Winnebago Owner

I suspect your engine batteries are not getting charged even though you are plugged in. Depending on the setup of your system whether your engine batteries are supposed to get charged. What may be happening is your auxiallary start solenoid is kicking in when you turn the key. If your engine batteries are flat most of the current and voltage is getting sucked up but the empty one. Not a great situation. The solenoid could easily get burned contacts from severe current loads. Plug in or run the generator and see if you are getting the same voltage on both banks of batteries. Of course check the water levels and specific gravity of them too.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Phil, you might have better luck posting this in the Freightliner section, as it's all chassis-related, not Winnebago.

Having said that, two quick comments... it's the chassis batteries, not the house, that would be affecting this, and being plugged in doesn't help unless you've installed a Trik-l-Start or similar. Also, I had a similar thing that was a loose ignition key assembly, allowing it to turn and not make good contact. I rotated it back to the right position and tightened the silver lock ring around it and problem went away. May not be your issue though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I suspect your engine batteries are not getting charged even though you are plugged in. Depending on the setup of your system whether your engine batteries are supposed to get charged. What may be happening is your auxiallary start solenoid is kicking in when you turn the key. If your engine batteries are flat most of the current and voltage is getting sucked up but the empty one. Not a great situation. The solenoid could easily get burned contacts from severe current loads. Plug in or run the generator and see if you are getting the same voltage on both banks of batteries. Of course check the water levels and specific gravity of them too.
Thanks, guys. I do have a Trik-l-Start and none of the engine or coach batteries are dead. I will look into the loose ignition key assembly, that did occur to me but like so many other things, I forgot! I'll see what other ideas I get here before moving over to the chassis group, but will go check the ignition, now.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Nope, not the ignition switch, it's nice and tight...
Old 10-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Phil,

Another thought is the quality of your ground connections. I do not know there locations, but you might find that in the electrical drawings at the Winnebago site.

If the ignition switch is solid that is where I would go next.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Madronna,
I hesitate to send you this answer but, it's a thought. I had an almost exact situation like yours. Mine was working just fine for about a year after we purchased the coach. Then, one day, while being parked at home, that display, I think is called the: MMDC display, decided to stop working and the air buzzers etc also took a vacation.
Well, that system is seriously complicated. It receives communcations from multi sourses prior to displaying them in those multiple lights you see. Well, I kind of pride myself in fixing things but, this was WAAAAAAY over my head.

So, as suggested by friends/members here, I made a call to the Freightliner customer service and, the nice lady, yes a lady, was extremely knowledgeable in that area of the coach. She walked me through the system and where to check on this, or that or, what could be the problem. Well, it took her, with me as the checker, about 10-15 minutes on the phone to determine the issue.

On mine, it was detected that a bad ground, leading to that MMDC (all the colored lights etc in the dash panel). I quickly devised a momentary ground from a known good chassis ground to the point needed to make that MMDC work and vooallllllla, it all started working. Yahooooooo. She was laughing. I told her thanks a zillion times and we parted.

Now, is this your problem, not sure. There are so many wires and connections, I'm supprised we don't hear more about these kind of situations here. Good luck and please, be sure and post what you found out that was the problem so we all can put in our little minds to help should we have the same type of issues in the future.
Scot
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Step one check all connections: Step 2, Loose weight. Read on it's not what you think.

Now if your ignition switch is dash mounted the switch itself is likely directly behind the cylinder, and if there is too much weight on the key ring it can wear the switch.

IF it's on the steering collumn and locks the wheel (And/or gearshift) it is likely a slider switch operated by a rack&Pinion ssytem (The cylinder turns the pinion gear) and though I have been advised to loose weight on my key ring (I actually use a key that is not on a ring to operate the Ignition) The only thing that will wear out is the lock cylinder itself and you likely won't notice (it gets real sloppy and takes keys other than your own as it wears).
Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post
Nope, not the ignition switch, it's nice and tight...
Still could be the ignition switch contacts inside the unit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote