Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #1

My Sightseer came with a A&E patio awning and I have thought about replacing it due to wear and tear. I could simply replace only the fabric, or upgrade to a nicer model, even going to a 12v power awning.

But... how about the Carefree awning series, either the 12v or even 110v power awning. Any one change out one brand for a different brand? Would the mounting bracket holes match up (not likely, right?) or does the shop have to drill new holes into that fiberglass? And does a patio awning simply bolt into the fiberglass, or is something done so the fiberglass doesn't crack from the weight of the awning?

I'm interested in changing out my awning, but not if I'm just creating problems down the road...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #2

My Sightseer came with a A&E patio awning and I have thought about replacing it due to wear and tear. I could simply replace only the fabric, or upgrade to a nicer model, even going to a 12v power awning.

But... how about the Carefree awning series, either the 12v or even 110v power awning. Any one change out one brand for a different brand? Would the mounting bracket holes match up (not likely, right?) or does the shop have to drill new holes into that fiberglass? And does a patio awning simply bolt into the fiberglass, or is something done so the fiberglass doesn't crack from the weight of the awning?

I'm interested in changing out my awning, but not if I'm just creating problems down the road...
Old 01-27-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I had mine replaced with the weather pro electric.
It has been great and the only issue is that the supports are shorter so that left the lower mounting holes visible. There are others that have had problems with this brand awning but it has worked well for us. Wind damaged my old one so insurance helped offset the change
Regards, Randy
Old 01-27-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

RICHARD 34A: When I lost my A&E patio awning when I owned a Bounder I had it replaced with a Carefree because there was a dealer close for Carefree. It bolted right on with out a problem. The Bounder and I think the Winnebago have mounting hardware behind the wall for awnings.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

richard ...

On my rig, and others I am quite sure, if you look closely early on a dewy morning you can see where the metal supports are on your side walls ...

I discovered this one morning when I drove across a dusty parking lot to dump my holding tanks ... the dust stuck to the coach and showed exactly where all of the metal supports were ... I have since noticed the difference on dewy mornings ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Last year in Quartzite I got the high end metal wrapped acrylic fabric A&E window awnings and installed them.

This year I got the metal wrapped acrylic fabric type that matches the window awnings for the main awning installed.

Got a heck of a deal on everything at a place called Gamblers. Paid $300 for the awning including labor and about $80 for each window awning - no labor since I did the installation myself.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randyat1001:
I had mine replaced with the weather pro electric.
It has been great and the only issue is that the supports are shorter so that left the lower mounting holes visible. There are others that have had problems with this brand awning but it has worked well for us. Wind damaged my old one so insurance helped offset the change
Regards, Randy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I looked at that model at Camping World, and liked it, but then read online reviews and thought I should continue looking at other models, such as Carefree. I would like to find one that covers my existing mounting holes and even better, mounts in the exact same holes, though I don't know how likely that will be.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

A&E does make replacement fabric. I don't know what model yours is but if it isn't at least the 8500 or 9500 (with either a plastic or aluminum shroud to cover the fabric when the awning is rolled up) it would probably be more cost effective to replace the whole thing.

Without the shroud the last foot or so of the fabric constantly exposed to the sunlight. Eventually it deteriorates to the point it fails.

We have an 8500 series awning on our 01 Adventurer. Between being stored in a garage and having it covered by the shroud (except when it's in use) it still looks like new.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Here is another option Zip Dee. Be prepared to pay the price for an awning that will last a lifetime.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
RJK
Winnebago Camper

Richard, do a search under Find for A&E 12v power awnings,in the past there were alot of problems with them. I have one on my unit 2004 Suncruiser and I will Never own another.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Here is another vote for not getting an electric awning.

Our current MH has an electric A&E. Although I have had no problems with it, and it is very convenient to just push a button on the remote to put it in or out, I would not get another.

If it were lower it would provide more shade. In breezy conditions (not strong winds) it is unstable and tends to billow with a side wind. The bracing the arms provide isn't anywhere near that of a manual awning.

My wind sensor works and the trailing edge dips properly to allow rain run-off, but I would just prefer doing all that manually.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote