Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Idiot's Guide to Sealing a Winnebago

Hi all -

I've been unable to find an informative thread or instructions on how best to check the roof, window and joint seals. I live in Wyoming so rain is a rare occurence; I've never noticed any leaks, but would prefer being proactive.

Does anyone have any input on problem areas, proactive measures, and sealants to use?

Thanks,

- Clay

'04 Adventurer 35U/W22
Old 03-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

This has remained mostly a mystery to me also. I have sealed mine, don't know if it meets Winnebago standards or not. I am surprised they don't have a seminar at GNR about it. When you ask questions you get vague replies. Considering the consequences, roofs blowing off and delamination, not to mention discomfort and consternation, I don't know why it isn't #1 on Winnebago's maintenance agenda. Dealers seem even more inept and assign inexperienced people to do it, who often botch the job, but charge $300 or so. I wish Winnebago would provide pictorial documentation and the currently preferred sealants.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

All the info about sealants and where to seal is on the Winnebago website you'll find a links, click on Resources, then Manuals & Diagrams, then Sealants Callout Sheets. Find your rig, shows the area to seal and part numbers.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Y-Guy -

That's helpful, I appreciate it -

The next question would be: what Home Depot sealant corresponds with Winnebago A-E sealants, and what's the time-honored best method to apply them?

- Clay
Old 03-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Close up everything to the best of your ability,make the coach as airtight as you can.Get a high power leaf blower,or some type of good air moving fan.Duct the air in a window,and seal off the remainder of the opening.Now turn on the air moving fan,and get some soapy water and go around to all the places that have a joint on the coach.With the fan you have created a high pressure inside the coach,and that will try to escape out any leaky joints,and with the soapy water,you will see lots of bubbles at any leaks,and know what needs resealing!

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

A few years ago at GNR I spoke with a winnebago Rep about inspecting the seal along the roof edge. He said the proper method was to stand on a ladder so the gutter was about chest height, Then push in with your thumbs on the fiberglass roof just above the sealant. If it feels soft or the roof seperates from the sealant it's time to recaulk the area.

I've followed the procedure several times but could never seem to find any trouble spots. Just last week we had the coach into Forest City for some service work so I asked them to inspect the roof just to be sure. They found only 4 spots for a total of less than 6" they felt needed to be replaced. Not too bad for a coach almost 9 years old with 70,000 miles on the odometer.

In all fairness we keep in out of the weather in a garage when it's not on the road.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Eternabond it and never worry about it again.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
doc
Winnebago Owner

Clay, I sent you a private message. Let me know if you don't get it and I'll try again

doc
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi Doc -

Got it, thanks for the tips!

- Clay