Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ideas of where to start looking?

I've had the MH sitting in the driveway for a few weeks and decided to plug the MH into shore power (the house) so that I could do a couple of things inside and nothing happened. The coach batteries are stone dead and the charging unit seems to be non-functioning. Ususally when I plug it in I can hear a couple of clicks and then the hum of the charger but this time nothing. No lights inside the coach, nothing. Anyone with ideas of where to start looking? Thank you.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I would start with the outlet that you are plugged into, then the extension cord and/or adapters, before I looked at anything on the coach. First thing on the coach would be the breakers, then the transfer switch.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

any chance you forgot the coach batty dis-connect switch.....I've done that.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If the batteries are REALLY dead the onboard charger may not charge them. You may need to remove them and get them charged at least partially before your onboard charger will take over.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
If the batteries are REALLY dead the onboard charger may not charge them. You may need to remove them and get them charged at least partially before your onboard charger will take over.
I think this is one place I will start. I'm thinking if one or more of the batteries are, in fact, shorted, the charger may have some sort of safe guard that shuts it down or won't let it come on at all.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Most battery chargers won't start to charge a completely dead battery. Try jumping the batts from your car. Let them charge for 10 minutes with shore power disconnected, then disconnect car and plug in shore power. If batts are any good at all, this will work,assuming the on board charger is functioning properly.
garyedgecomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Is the plug in the house on a GFIC? One in my house doesn't like the MH and trips every time.