Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

...I am hoping some of you more technical guys can help this new member...read the following post and let's help him out!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

...I am hoping some of you more technical guys can help this new member...read the following post and let's help him out!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I don't really know what I'm doin' as to operating on this website, but thanks for the welcome and the reply button brought me here.

We are relatively new to motorhomes, having jumped in just two years ago, buying a 2004 Itasca Suncruiser 38R, complete with a '99 Saturn toad. We've been as far as Grand Canyon and Lake Mead from our home in PA. We are kind of tied down right now due to mother-in-law's poor health, but we are still managing some long weekends locally. We love this rig!

Current problems:
(1) Icemaker which worked just fine a month ago, now won't fill or operate correctly; it just makes creaking noises; we have 3rd party extended warranty with deductible, but I wonder if I should just get an icemaker from Lowes and change it?
(2) Sending unit on propane tank dial gage has one wire (which must go to the inside panel) broken off it; can this plastic gage and/or sending unit be easily snapped off and replaced, or am I going to break something and end up at the dealer anyway under the aforementioned warranty?

Thanks for any information or tips on how to work this website.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

hdmoxness, wecome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and hope to help out where we can. I am sure you will enjoy this website and your Suncruiser.
Most likely the ice maker has too much water in the mold and when frozen cannot eject the huge section of ice. Turn the ref off and let the ice melt. Use a sponge or cloth to remove some of the excess water and then retry by turning ref on and ice maker off (raise to lock the arm up) The next day you should be able to lower the arm and watch the harvest cycle of the ice maker. If you get it to eject the ice and put water into the mold you are good. If it does not harvest, carefully feel the bottom of the ice maker for heat. The mold heater should come on long enough to melt the ice surface to release from the mold.
If you have a continual issue of this happening when the bucket gets ful you could have a bad water valve. If it does not completely seal off the water flow, water dripping into the mold or freezing up the nozzle will result. A new water valve will fix this problem.
The gage on the LP tank can easily be replaced, just remove the small screw holding the flange around it and put on a new one. It is operated by a magnetic float switch in the tank and does not have to have the tank drained first. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:59 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum.com and the Winnebago Owners Forum, hdmoxness!

I have had times when ice jams up as it is being ejected from the mold. Usually, it can be seen sticking up in the back of the unit. A defrost and start-up of the ice maker has always cured that trouble.

You will find there are lots of great people here, such as RV Wizzard, who will have some great advice for those of us who may be new to things or mechanically challenged.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Welcome aboard hdmoxness,

I concur with Mike and Frank. Ours frosts up in about three months and interfeers with the ice harvest. Defrosting cures the problem.

I also had an ice maker in a 2000 Adventurer that had bad micro switches. It was made with the cheapest switches the maker could find. Open contact to the heater when a cycle started. I replaced all of the switches with good ones from an electronics store and had no more problems.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We replaced our icemaker last year at the Winnebago GNR. It was leaking and growing icicles from the mechanism on the left side of the tray. The technician who replaced it said that one should avoid having the icemaker active while driving because water would slosh out of the mold and get into the mechanism to cause the problem we had.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote