Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
I want to add a 1000w pure sine inverter to run my residential refrigerator.

I want to add a 1000w pure or true sine inverter to run our new 18.3 cu. ft. Frigidaire Gallery residential refrigerator. I have a Dimensions 2000w Quasi sine inverter/charger that runs the coach, however most agree not to allow it to control the refrigerator. My questions are, can I just add the pure sine inverter to the system and if so, what are the steps in the install? Thanks for any help.


2005 Journey 39F
2008 Saturn Vue
boltdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 486
The inverter should come with pretty good installation instructions. In general, find a good place to install it with enough ventilation. Then measure length of wires needed to connect to batteries and size wire gauge appropriately. Closer to the batteries is better, the 12 v DC will drop off much faster than the 120 v AC. If you're not familiar with wiring, it might be better to have a pro do it.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 851
Why do they say not to let the 2KW job power the fridge? I mean, it can do it now sweat. The only issue woudl be if you are drawing max power for the Microwave and the fridge kicks in it may overload.

No special instructions other than add more batteries.
__________________
Home is where I park it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 486
wa8yxm asks a good question, who told you it wouldn't work on a MSW inverter? Reading through the manual, it talks about not to run over/under 10 v from 115 v because of the high efficiency, but doesn't prohibit or even mention a MSW inverter, just says 60 Hz. You might call Frigidaire before spending the money for another inverter if your 2k inverter can do the job.

http://manuals.frigidaire.com/prodin...42063801en.pdf
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 196
I would also install a 120 VAC auto transfer switch unless you intend on running your fridge full time off your battery bank.

Or better yet buy a 1000W Inverter with a ATS included.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Master
 
DancinCampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: On the Road Westward
Posts: 693
Check your wattage when you refrig goes into defrost. The 1000w may not handle it.
Our coach came with a 2800 watt inverter.
__________________
Dan & Sharon & Kasey (Our Yorkie Puppy (12 Yrs Old) On the Road (2012 Journey 36M, 2006 Jeep Liberty)
USN-Ret ('65-'93) Fulltimers, Class of 2012
DancinCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltdave View Post
I want to add a 1000w pure or true sine inverter to run our new 18.3 cu. ft. Frigidaire Gallery residential refrigerator. I have a Dimensions 2000w Quasi sine inverter/charger that runs the coach, however most agree not to allow it to control the refrigerator. My questions are, can I just add the pure sine inverter to the system and if so, what are the steps in the install? Thanks for any help.


2005 Journey 39F
2008 Saturn Vue
In general, electronics are happier on pure sine ... without seeing your Frigidaire specs, I'll take a guess that the compressor will draw about 6.5 amps (120vac) with a locked rotor. That's at start-up or stall after a power outage. So, 1000w should be adequate for a dedicated unit.

As a further consideration, depending on how much boondocking you do, you might want to consider a bigger pure sine and putting the microwave AND reefer on it. Depends on how much money you want to spend.

In my case, I don't boondock and run the residential reefer on shore power or the genset. In hot weather, driving down the road, I typically run the genset for the roof A/C anyway. My reefer stays food-safe cold for at least 4 hours with no power.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Buxton, North Dakota
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
wa8yxm asks a good question, who told you it wouldn't work on a MSW inverter? Reading through the manual, it talks about not to run over/under 10 v from 115 v because of the high efficiency, but doesn't prohibit or even mention a MSW inverter, just says 60 Hz. You might call Frigidaire before spending the money for another inverter if your 2k inverter can do the job.

http://manuals.frigidaire.com/prodin...42063801en.pdf
Frigidaire didn't even consider anyone using the refrigerator on an inverter, so would not mention any warning.

A dedicated 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter and a transfer switch such as the Kisae TS15 would make a nice trouble free and easy solution. Try to keep the inverter within 4 ft of the batteries and use at least 2awg cable.
__________________
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53/ V10 605 watts of Solar
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C Handicap Equipped
F53/V10
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
Thanks to all responses. In the Frigidaire manual it does state that any loss of power exceeding 10% can injure compressor and is not covered by warranty. The MSW inverter that we have states 85% consistency, therefore leaving me with this question. Do I risk it? Love the refer. Just want to be safe.
boltdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner
 
vsheetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I would also install a 120 VAC auto transfer switch unless you intend on running your fridge full time off your battery bank.



Or better yet buy a 1000W Inverter with a ATS included.



Dr4Film ----- Richard

Agree.
__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Buxton, North Dakota
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltdave View Post
Thanks to all responses. In the Frigidaire manual it does state that any loss of power exceeding 10% can injure compressor and is not covered by warranty. The MSW inverter that we have states 85% consistency, therefore leaving me with this question. Do I risk it? Love the refer. Just want to be safe.
That is 85% efficiency, not consistency. It means that 15% of the 12 volt DC energy input to the inverter is wasted in heat. Fridgidaire is talking about a 10% loss of voltage, thus less than 108 VAC nominal voltage would be harmful to the compressor.
__________________
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53/ V10 605 watts of Solar
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C Handicap Equipped
F53/V10
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
inverter, refrigerator


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
:Pure Sine Inverters/Solar Panels Ladypilot10 Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 11 12-17-2016 05:01 PM
Inverter and Residential Refrigerator Sue46 Heating, Cooling and Appliances 8 09-21-2016 09:14 AM
Residential Refrigerator and inverter/Charger lwasouth Heating, Cooling and Appliances 10 08-17-2015 07:12 PM
New Dimensions Pure-Sine Inverter ChiefJohn Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 6 04-27-2013 12:04 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×