Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question I need a second opinion.

I'm thinking on buying two pair of 6 ton double locking jack stands and my pad is a Elandian 1991 model, 37 feet long and I don't know on how much my ride weighs. So should a 6 ton jack stand do it?
Winnabango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would sure suggest getting it weighed before you decide. My 40DP weighs 10,000 lbs front but 19,000 lbs rear. IMO there's no point using jack stands if you're not SURE they will bear the weight you're going to put on them. You should really know the weight of your rig anyway so you know how to load it and inflate the tires properly.

Good luck...

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I've heard that jack stands are rated by the pair, not individually, although I don't know if that's actually true. If so, a pair of 6 ton jack stands would be limited to 12,000lb (6,000lb each).

According the the brochure for the 1991 Elandan, you have a GVWR of 17,000 or 18,000 lbs, depending on whether you have the Chevy or Ford chassis. I don't know just what the front/rear split is, but I would expect you'd find a sticker near the driver's seat with the relevant numbers on it. I would expect that the 6 ton jacks would be OK for the front, but probably marginal for the rear.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnabango View Post
I'm thinking on buying two pair of 6 ton double locking jack stands and my pad is a Elandian 1991 model, 37 feet long and I don't know on how much my ride weighs. So should a 6 ton jack stand do it?
IF each jackstand is rated to support 6 tons, then a pair of them under one axle will support 24,000 pounds, which is considerably more than either axle can possibly be loaded. You don't say "what" you are trying to accomplish, so I don't understand your last few words about "a 6 ton jack"

Care to explain a little better? Ed
Old 08-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

For two reasons I agree with the "Get it weighed" recommendation.

First make sure it's loaded for travel when you weigh it, and then add your weight twice (And your spouses) just to be safe.

Next. from the loaded (But not occupied) weight you can go to the tire maker's web site and find the PROPER inflation for the tires, this is the pressure that gives best handline (or tracking on a trailer) and longest tire life (Assuming you wear them out not sun them out)

And it also tells you how much the jack stands need to stand.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Harbor Freight has what you need. 12 ton jacks stands on sale for $89.99.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
IF each jackstand is rated to support 6 tons, then a pair of them under one axle will support 24,000 pounds, which is considerably more than either axle can possibly be loaded. You don't say "what" you are trying to accomplish, so I don't understand your last few words about "a 6 ton jack"

Care to explain a little better? Ed
Well what I mean is, "Would 6 ton stand jacks do it?" I also said that, not a pair, but two pair, 2 pair = 4 jacks. Two in the front and two in the back.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I've heard that jack stands are rated by the pair, not individually, although I don't know if that's actually true. If so, a pair of 6 ton jack stands would be limited to 12,000lb (6,000lb each).

According the the brochure for the 1991 Elandan, you have a GVWR of 17,000 or 18,000 lbs, depending on whether you have the Chevy or Ford chassis. I don't know just what the front/rear split is, but I would expect you'd find a sticker near the driver's seat with the relevant numbers on it. I would expect that the 6 ton jacks would be OK for the front, but probably marginal for the rear.
Ok it's manufactured by GM so its a Chevy. and yes its also 17000 LB.
According to the GAWR it states the following:
FRT 5500 LB
INT (Which I don't know what that means). 9500 LB
RR 3000 LB

So does this help?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Well what I mean is, "Would 6 ton stand jacks do it?" I also said that, not a pair, but two pair, 2 pair = 4 jacks. Two in the front and two in the back.
OK. Then the question becomes about the individual jackstand rating. As was posted by "cbeierl" , you need to verify if the 6 ton rating is for each pair, or is each stand good for 12,000 pounds. Once that is KNOWN, you can do the math....

In your other reply, you seem to be reporting that the vehicle GVWR is 17,000 total, with 5,500 GAWR front axle. Since you've got 2 other ratings there, I have to ask if this chassis has a "tag" axle because that may explain the "int 9500 and the RR 3000". In many cases, the total vehicle rating (GVWR) is less than the total of the individual GAWR. IOW, I am GUESSING that 9500 is the INTermediate axle rating and the RR3000 is the tag axle GAWR (if there is one). Please come back and let us know how all this works out for you.

If you do decide to put a pair of stands under the rear axle, please consider a metal plate or thick board under the stand to help distribute the weight over a greater area than is occupied by those four "feet" of the stand. Even concrete can only support so much weight concentrated in a small amount of square inches.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
OK. Then the question becomes about the individual jackstand rating. As was posted by "cbeierl" , you need to verify if the 6 ton rating is for each pair, or is each stand good for 12,000 pounds. Once that is KNOWN, you can do the math....

In your other reply, you seem to be reporting that the vehicle GVWR is 17,000 total, with 5,500 GAWR front axle. Since you've got 2 other ratings there, I have to ask if this chassis has a "tag" axle because that may explain the "int 9500 and the RR 3000". In many cases, the total vehicle rating (GVWR) is less than the total of the individual GAWR. IOW, I am GUESSING that 9500 is the INTermediate axle rating and the RR3000 is the tag axle GAWR (if there is one). Please come back and let us know how all this works out for you.

If you do decide to put a pair of stands under the rear axle, please consider a metal plate or thick board under the stand to help distribute the weight over a greater area than is occupied by those four "feet" of the stand. Even concrete can only support so much weight concentrated in a small amount of square inches.
Well there is a tag axle, what I'm asking is, should 4 six ton stands be enough to rest my home on it for a long time? Here is an image to show what I mean.

http://content.costco.com/Images/Con...uct/447691.jpg
Old 08-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Well there is a tag axle, what I'm asking is, should 4 six ton stands be enough to rest my home on it for a long time? Here is an image to show what I mean.

http://content.costco.com/Images/Con...uct/447691.jpg
Sorry, but I can't read the fine print on the Costco jacks pictured, so I STILL don't KNOW if they are rated at 12,000 pounds each, or per pair. IF it is "6 tons" per PAIR and you use 2 pair, then that "should" mean that the 4 stands can support a total of 24,000 pounds. That "should" be enough for your coach...HOWEVER, since "we" don't know how the weight is distributed, nor what your coach actually weighs, I would not want to take that gamble.

Everything I've read elsewhere leads me to think (like "cbeierl" said above) that these type of stands are rated per pair. HERE is a link to lots of good info about different weight rated stands: http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...8999/38847.pdf

It contains lots of info and warnings, so please do the research on what capacity you need. The 12 ton stands are less than $100.00 per pair, so it seems that buying "extra" capacity is not too expensive, if only for peace of mind!

I'm assuming you plan to jack up the coach, place the stands under the frame, and lower the jacks to put the entire load on the stands (tires off the ground). If so, I am GUESSING (and hoping) that your 17,000 GVWR coach doesn't weigh more than 18-20K, but without a scale weight, nobody really knows how much you'll be putting on whichever stands you choose to buy. Good luck and be safe. Ed
Old 08-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Based on the information given, you would be ok with the 6 ton stands on the front, but you would not be ok with that in the back.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Sorry, but I can't read the fine print on the Costco jacks pictured, so I STILL don't KNOW if they are rated at 12,000 pounds each, or per pair. IF it is "6 tons" per PAIR and you use 2 pair, then that "should" mean that the 4 stands can support a total of 24,000 pounds. That "should" be enough for your coach...HOWEVER, since "we" don't know how the weight is distributed, nor what your coach actually weighs, I would not want to take that gamble.

Everything I've read elsewhere leads me to think (like "cbeierl" said above) that these type of stands are rated per pair. HERE is a link to lots of good info about different weight rated stands: http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...8999/38847.pdf

It contains lots of info and warnings, so please do the research on what capacity you need. The 12 ton stands are less than $100.00 per pair, so it seems that buying "extra" capacity is not too expensive, if only for peace of mind!

I'm assuming you plan to jack up the coach, place the stands under the frame, and lower the jacks to put the entire load on the stands (tires off the ground). If so, I am GUESSING (and hoping) that your 17,000 GVWR coach doesn't weigh more than 18-20K, but without a scale weight, nobody really knows how much you'll be putting on whichever stands you choose to buy. Good luck and be safe. Ed
Yes, you got the idea. That's what exactly what I'm trying to do. I've also thought about that too, about the 12 ton jacks. I think that would be a better plan to go with. I couldn't read your link that you sent, this site is strict on links. Google Images
Old 08-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

You can go to harborfreight.com and use their search feature to see about their products, 3 thru 12 ton stands. From the link you posted, the 6 ton stands pictured are no longer available from Costco, so good luck with your shopping.