Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2010, 04:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I need a new heat pump!

Hi All,

Very simply, through a comedy of errors I may need a new basement air unit for my '05 Adventurer 38R. My local repair facility tells me these are "repair only" units and complete replacement units don't exist. On top of that he dosen't do AC&R work anyway. Later this morning I'm going to call RVP and see if they can help, in the meantime I figured I've never been steered wrong here on the forum so I'd give it a shot. Anybody got an Idea? Thanks and good roads to all,
Joe
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Ol'Joe;

I believe you have been given incorrect information. My basement unit was replaced a few years ago. Where to you suppose Winnebago gets their new units from if they are unavailable? I believe you are right in calling RVP. They will refer you to one of their dealers. Good luck;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Agree with Petro. I suspect you can get a new unit but hopefully, your's can be repaired. It is my understanding that, once removed from the unit, most any qualified HVAC mechanic can diagnose and repair the unit.

RVP should be able to get you referred to a qualified repair center in your area.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I replaced my complete unit that was sent to me about a year and a half ago. So unless something has changed....BTW easy job for the diy
Old 04-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

mobile tech ...

I am in a large RV park in the San Diego area ... a neighbor in a 2004 or 2005 Horizon had difficulty with the blower on her basement air. A mobile repair service come to her Horizon, removed the unit, replaced the blower recently. It took him about 2 hours to complete the task.

So there are techs that know how to do things besides "replace" ... I don't know if the compressor / condenser can be repaired, however.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Mine was replaced because while I was on phone with tech support, they couldnt find the problem and since this was the third or forth time this trouble had appeared and they didnt know why. The tech called me back within 10 minutes and said a new unit was on the way free of charge if I could install it. I installed it. They didnt even want the old unit returned. I didnt ask for a new unit so to say the least I was a bit surprised. Now thats service.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Morn'n All,

Well, I called RVP yesterday and they confirmed that they were not making any more of the 6535 model heat pumps. They said that it was because of low demand and the need to retool for the new 410 refrigerant required by law. They had none in stock and could not tell me of anyone that might have one. SO........ I called another rv repair service and he came right out (no really he did!) had a quick look, stuck a meter or two on it and said that he forgot his coleman book but would get back to me today. He did feel that it was repairable so we'll see. I hope Skigramp is right about repair vs. replace. I'll let ya's know the outcome in meantime;
Good roads to all,
Joe
Old 04-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Wow, I do hope you can get it repaired. For those of us who have older Winnebago's who plan to keep them for some years, not being able to replace the basement AC/Heat Pump if necessary is not encouraging.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Im glad I have an extra unit for parts. I wonder if the ref type is the only differance between the old and new.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsr View Post
Im glad I have an extra unit for parts. I wonder if the ref type is the only differance between the old and new.
Good question. If the only real change is to accomodate a new refrigerant and the size of the box, ducting, wiring, etc. is the same, we should be able to slide a 'new' unit in the existing opening and be good to go.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Skigramp, Do you know the name of the service that helped your friend?

Nick, Journey '01
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hey All,

Well no news to report today. My service tech has not got back to me yet. I forgot to mention that RVP did tell me they were rethinking thier position on making more model 6535 type units but even then that might be months down the road and wouldn't help me now. I guess if we owners keep pinging them whenever we have a problem it might help sway them huh? Oh well........lets see what today brings us.
Good roads to all,

Joe
Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Per my contact at Winnebago, repair parts for our older True Air units will continue to be available and RVP will be developing a full replacement unit for our older heat pumps.