Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hydraulic Line Leaks-Slide Outs

When we bought our 2002 Winnebago Brave 32V (with a HWH 200 Series Leveling System with two Slides) in '04 I noticed a hydraulic line leaking under the living room slide. The dealer fixed it under warranty (took it back twice).

We just put our unit up for sale a couple of days ago so I went through it closely. I noticed that there was a leak coming from under the bedroom slide. I was able to get the hydraulic cylinder out (difficult) and saw that one of the lines connected to the cylinder (where the ram comes out) was leaking exactly as the first had (where the line enters the metal collar not the fittings).

Here's what I've learned. HWH has had about a billion warranty claims for just this same issue. They have issued a technical service bulletin for their dealers, see the attached PDF. It's: mi9550.pdf if the attachment doesn't attach.

If your hydraulic lines have the following written on them they are the faulty lines: "HWH-02 HP use 4540-30200 DIE, 4599-FP010 Pusher"

The replacement lines read: "Parker Parflex PDH-2 1/8 6000psi WP-use 58 series fittings"

I tried confirming all this and order new lines through their parts department and was told that they are two days behind on returning phone calls. I sent an email, who knows how long that will take.

I thought I'd pass this along to the nice people on this site. If I learn anything important I'll update this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mi9550.pdf (3.8 KB, 874 views)
File Type: pdf ml19524.pdf (34.7 KB, 698 views)
Old 08-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy616 View Post
When we bought our 2002 Winnebago Brave 32V (with a HWH 200 Series Leveling System with two Slides) in '04 I noticed a hydraulic line leaking under the living room slide. The dealer fixed it under warranty (took it back twice).

We just put our unit up for sale a couple of days ago so I went through it closely. I noticed that there was a leak coming from under the bedroom slide. I was able to get the hydraulic cylinder out (difficult) and saw that one of the lines connected to the cylinder (where the ram comes out) was leaking exactly as the first had (where the line enters the metal collar not the fittings).

Here's what I've learned. HWH has had about a billion warranty claims for just this same issue. They have issued a technical service bulletin for their dealers, see the attached PDF. It's: mi9550.pdf if the attachment doesn't attach.

If your hydraulic lines have the following written on them they are the faulty lines: "HWH-02 HP use 4540-30200 DIE, 4599-FP010 Pusher"

The replacement lines read: "Parker Parflex PDH-2 1/8 6000psi WP-use 58 series fittings"

I tried confirming all this and order new lines through their parts department and was told that they are two days behind on returning phone calls. I sent an email, who knows how long that will take.

I thought I'd pass this along to the nice people on this site. If I learn anything important I'll update this.
I got my 02 Adventurer in 04 and within 2 years had 4 lines and the bedroom RAM replaced. 1st 2 under warranty and last 2 and ram all paid for by HWH. I had gotten a run around from Camping world that they couldn't get the parts and after a scathing letter to the administration and an RV magazine I got instant results. Too bad it had to be that way.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem on my 2002 Journey. Closet slide in 2006 and kitchen slide in 2009. HWH paid for the new hoses and 1/2 the labor. Still a pain--
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Good da y. I've got a 2001 35U with leaks in both slides lines. Is it to late to contact HWH regarding paying for repairs? I am having a hard time finding anyone to even work on them. The closest dealer is almost 200 miles away and no truck repair shops will touch motorhomes. The leaks aren't real bad so I've just been putting up with it,

Workhorse Chassis
Norm3206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think you will find that HWH will still work with you--give them a call, they are usually very helpful--but busy! My big slide started to move out a little when the lines started to leak. Good Luck!
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2003 Suncruiser and had both bedroom and living room slides hydraulic lines leak. Had one fixed under warranty for $600 which the dealer reimbursed me. After watching the RV Tech replace that one I knew I could do the next one. It was really easy and all you do is undo both ends and undo the ties than hold all the hydraulic lines together. I took the leaky hose from the living room to Napa Auto and they made the new hose up. It is much beefer than the HWH OEM. It took literally less than two hours to do. It looked way harder than it was. If you are mechanically inclined then try it your self and you will be surprised and save a bunch of money. Bleeding the Hydraulic line is explained in the HWH owners manual. You will get a bit of Hydraulic fuild on you but with some fore thought it can be minimal.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hey Tim,
Being a "Squeaky Wheel" goes against my personality, but I've found that sometimes it's the only way to get something done. BTW, I've got 32 years on the job and am retired with a capital "R".
Roy
Old 08-26-2010, 06:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hi Norm,
It can't hurt to call HWH. If you pull up those pdf files I posted their contact number for the parts department is listed. A leaking line tells me that the connection is weak and may blow off...big mess and if you're in the middle of nowhere when it happens, well you can dream up your own nightmare senario.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnpe View Post
I have a 2003 Suncruiser and had both bedroom and living room slides hydraulic lines leak. Had one fixed under warranty for $600 which the dealer reimbursed me. After watching the RV Tech replace that one I knew I could do the next one. It was really easy and all you do is undo both ends and undo the ties than hold all the hydraulic lines together. I took the leaky hose from the living room to Napa Auto and they made the new hose up. It is much beefer than the HWH OEM. It took literally less than two hours to do. It looked way harder than it was. If you are mechanically inclined then try it your self and you will be surprised and save a bunch of money. Bleeding the Hydraulic line is explained in the HWH owners manual. You will get a bit of Hydraulic fuild on you but with some fore thought it can be minimal.
Thanks for the tip on NAPA. I went to a local Tractor Supply last night (still waiting for HWH to call me back) and saw that their hydraulic hoses were much thicker and stiffer than the original hoses. The problem with that is the rear hose has to make a sharp 180-degree turn and in bending TSC hoses I don’t think they would work, beside they all had male ends…I need female fittings.

Roy
Old 08-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Quote:
Hey Tim,
Being a "Squeaky Wheel" goes against my personality, but I've found that sometimes it's the only way to get something done. BTW, I've got 32 years on the job and am retired with a capital "R".
Roy
Hey Roy. What got me was the fact that Camping World was going around buying up dealerships yet didn't seem to have the clout with the industry. A few well placed words got some action.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossilhog View Post
Hey Roy. What got me was the fact that Camping World was going around buying up dealerships yet didn't seem to have the clout with the industry. A few well placed words got some action.
Yep, Camping World bought up our local RV store, when I asked a couple of the employees what they thought of the buy out they just rolled their eyes and didn’t want to comment.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on NAPA. I went to a local Tractor Supply last night (still waiting for HWH to call me back) and saw that their hydraulic hoses were much thicker and stiffer than the original hoses. The problem with that is the rear hose has to make a sharp 180-degree turn and in bending TSC hoses I don’t think they would work, beside they all had male ends…I need female fittings.

Roy
As noted, take it to any NAPA, Fisher (Federated) or similar real auto parts store and they can make up a new line of any length with female/male fittings in about ten minutes. The lines they use are much more beefy and flexible than the HWH thermoplastic lines. I replaced a long line from my pump to the rear slide and it made turns easily.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
As noted, take it to any NAPA, Fisher (Federated) or similar real auto parts store and they can make up a new line of any length with female/male fittings in about ten minutes. The lines they use are much more beefy and flexible than the HWH thermoplastic lines. I replaced a long line from my pump to the rear slide and it made turns easily.
Thanks for the response. I’m still waiting for HWH to call me back. I called a local NAPA and was told that it will cost about $120 for the two 8-foot lines ($5-6 for each fitting and $6-8 per foot for the lines…seems kind of high). I was hoping that HWH might cut me a deal on the lines or even give them to me but I need to get the old gal up and running.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Here are the specs on the replacement lines:
OD: .33”
Fitting: 7/16-20 FM
DIE: DIE H02
Pusher: PUF 012
HWH Part # FH12553P
5/8” Hex Swaged Diameter .400” +.004/-.006
Old 08-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I’m still waiting for HWH to call me back. I called a local NAPA and was told that it will cost about $120 for the two 8-foot lines ($5-6 for each fitting and $6-8 per foot for the lines…seems kind of high). I was hoping that HWH might cut me a deal on the lines or even give them to me but I need to get the old gal up and running.
Wow! I think I paid around $40 for a 16' line with fittings on both ends. That was a couple of years ago.

Check in your area for shops that sell rubber products or do hydraulic repairs. I am sure you can get two 8' lines made up for less than that.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Camping Worls has been very nice to us when other RV dealers only had $$$ in mind.

Not to say Camping World doesn't care about $$$, but they balance customer needs, pre and post sale services with the customer in mind while growing a reputation.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
Camping Worls has been very nice to us when other RV dealers only had $$$ in mind.

Not to say Camping World doesn't care about $$$, but they balance customer needs, pre and post sale services with the customer in mind while growing a reputation.
Overall I'd have to agree with you, except for your comment them not caring about money...every business cares about money...if they want to stay in business, that is.

We just priced new tires there and after not making the purchase we got a call from Camping World corporate office to talk about it. After I explained that we were still thinking about it they gave us a 50% discount on labor for a slide topper we were having installed.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Wow! I think I paid around $40 for a 16' line with fittings on both ends. That was a couple of years ago.

Check in your area for shops that sell rubber products or do hydraulic repairs. I am sure you can get two 8' lines made up for less than that.
Well, after two full days and a third call to HWH I haven't got a call-back yet. So tomorrow I'll go to NAPA with my lines and take a look at the quality, psi rating, etc. and get a price. If it's still out of line I'll start looking around.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:34 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

well guys/gals you all got off easy. My bedroom slide
hose let go after returning from a long weekend. the blessing was we were parked on our lot and weren't going anywhere. Had a mobile tech come look for the leak, and after having to put more fluid in the tank, found the hose had let go at the connector. Now the real problem is getting the other end of the hose off
the ram, the slide is in and will not go out with the values open and three guys pushing.
Winnie tech said on the phone he thought that there was an access panel on the bottom of the slide, I don't know since I've only owned this rig 3 weeks. Do any of you know if this is true or not? 2004 Vectra AD 40'.

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelpo View Post
well guys/gals you all got off easy. My bedroom slide
hose let go after returning from a long weekend. the blessing was we were parked on our lot and weren't going anywhere. Had a mobile tech come look for the leak, and after having to put more fluid in the tank, found the hose had let go at the connector. Now the real problem is getting the other end of the hose off
the ram, the slide is in and will not go out with the values open and three guys pushing.
Winnie tech said on the phone he thought that there was an access panel on the bottom of the slide, I don't know since I've only owned this rig 3 weeks. Do any of you know if this is true or not? 2004 Vectra AD 40'.

Phelpo
Well, I just did my hydraulic line repair/replacement myself after waiting for five days for HWH to return my three calls. As a side note I wish I would have waited because they were great. I was told that they have paid for over 1,800 repairs for these defective hoses. There is a major lawsuit pending so they wanted the old hoses back. They ended up sending me two new bedroom slide hoses with the option to either make the repair myself or take it to a local dealer for the repair at no cost to me.

Before talking with HWH and receiving the new hoses I went to NAPA and had a new HD hose made up for the line to the front of the hydraulic cylinder. The line (that wasn't leaking) that connects to the rear of the cylinder needs to make a hard 180 degree turn so the NAPA hose was too stiff and thick to make that turn, in my opinion. The replacement hoses are very small in diameter (.33") and can make that turn. I reinstalled the old rear hose and have my fingers crossed.

I don't know if our units are the same, but I'd bet that they are similar. My unit has no access panel under the bed. There is no access panel under the slide inside the storage compartment. There is a very small slot cut out of the ceiling of the compartment for the hoses to enter. A very poor design (way too small). I used a 3" hole saw and cut two holes in the compartment ceiling then cut out the ceiling between the holes. The opening ended up being about 3 X 10". This gave access to a slot in the bottom of the rectangular tube that the cylinder sits in.

The slide has to be out to get the cylinder/ram out. You mentioned that the valves are open. My unit has four solenoids. An extend and retract for each slide. They are 1/4" nuts and can be unscrewed (not more then three turns). Just to be sure I'd back out all four screws.

Are you planning to do the repair yourself? If so I'd try to get the slide out by using 2x4 or 2x6 boards against the wall/wardrobe and the bed frame and carefully attempt to jack it open with a small bottle jack. There's no reason that I know of that would prevent the slide from moving out if the relief nuts are open.

But before I'd go through all this work I'd call HWH and see if they'll pay for the repair, especially since the slide is all the way in and able to be driven to a dealer for the repair.