Old 07-06-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

HWH Storemore Slideout Maybe Out Too Far... Itasca "Horizon"

My 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD Slide Maybe Out Too Far?

I just noticed that the floor roller on my largest driver-slideout is almost over the tile in my kitchen. I don't remember seeing it like this in the past... and I can tell the slideout is pressed way too tight against the wall on the inside of the couch.

Is my slideout... too far?

The attached picture shows the roller is just 1/8" away from falling completely over the edge. Plus inside the coach the slide does seem like it's tipping a bit too much in the downward directions.

...And while the inside seals are are very, very tight against the wall; I am more concerned that floor roller should remain on top of my floor tile.

So... Can anyone tell me how to adjust my HWH-Storemore slideout inward 1/8"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Roller Under Kitchen.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	171879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compartment Slide Hanger Bolts Picture.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	171880  

Old 07-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If your's is the same as on my 2002, at the outboard end of each of the two shiny beams in your second photo, there should be an adjustment bolt with locknuts mounted to the sides of the beams on a flange with the bolt head pointed toward the coach. These bolts act as "stops" to control how far in or out the slide stops when closed. To make it not so tight against the coach you would loosen the lock nuts and adjust the bolt so it extends further toward the coach. Make small adjustments, alternating between the front and back until it's where you want it. You may find that the front and rear bolts will be in different positions in order for the seal to be uniform front-to-back.

Each time, hold the slide retract button down for 5 - 10 seconds after it closes to allow things to equalize. Also, fully extend the slide each time before retracting again. According to the user manual you should always either fully extend the slide before retracting it. Failure to do so can cause things to get out of adjustment (this is why I know how to adjust the travel).

If this doesn't work, contact azpete, a Winnieowner and HWH employee who's helped me and many others.

I wish I had a photo to post but it will all make sense once you find the bolts.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Bob...
I took pictures of what I think you are referring to...

Is this the adjustment screw? That long rusty, threaded rod?

If so, it looks like there is a "thumb-screw-stop" I can back-off...

...and then turn the rusty rod. BUT WHICH WAY?

Can you or someone else verify this adjustment :

a) Turning the rod to the left (CCW) will result in MORE slideout travel?

b) If so, that means if I turn the rod to the right (CW) it will result in LESS slideout travel, because the shorter adjusted rod will presumably stop the motor sooner, resulting in LESS slideout travel. Is that right?

c) Or is the other way around?

Note: Right now... With the driver's slide out all the way... That long rod has about 1/4" - 3/8" of end play. Is this why my rollers are almost over the edge of the tile and the motor is only stopping due to high sidewall pressure? I'm mentioning this, because I was surprised to find that much end play if the function of the rod is to trip a motor switch on the other end?
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2019, 12:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Nope, mine is completely different so I can't advise you. My bolts are only about 2.5" - 3" long.

Your best bet is to send a private message (via the User CP) to azpete for advice. He's the HWH expert.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think the pictures with the "Long Rusty Threaded Rod" and the locking thumb screw are to manual retract the slide and have nothing to do with the slide adjustment. (Not sure.) I re-posted the same pictures as before and added arrow-markers so know what I am talking about.

* I guess I should know this in event I can't electrically retract my slide. Also, I always wondered why my coach has some "jack tools" in the storage compartment on the driver's side and I'm guessing these will come in handy if I need to spin the threaded rod someday...???

So I'm still looking for help on how to reduce the travel of my large slide on the driver's side.

I found the attached .pdf on HWH website, but it's not too clear on how to do this? If someone can confirm I have the right manual for my slide rams, then maybe you and also help me understand how to reduce the travel of my slideout?
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH Flat Floor Adjustment Diagram (Dual Cylinder) 2-pages.pdf (261.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-14-2019, 09:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Help is there

Princess Leia says, "azpete" - he is you only hope.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone changed from the vinyl strip to rollers on a slide and is it just a matter of removing vinyl glide and screwing rollers in its place. I have a 2001/2 Journey that we replaced carpet with engineered wood and have hade a few scratches recently. We try and run a dust mop before closing up but still not completely satisfied.
Macland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

UPDATE: How the slide-out works on a flat floor.

I took a closer look and I now see that when my flat-floor extends... and then drops... those steel wheels come to rest on that long cross beam.

So the weight of the sldeout rests on this steel cross beam; and so to the cargo storage compartment "Hangar Bolts" hand down from this same cross beam.

And if you look closely in this picture you will see the white-plastic "Shoe" that slides on top of your carpet.

Note: This is the "shoe" Winnebago recommends your replace with a "carpet shoe" ($160 for the part) if you go to a vinyl floor so you don't scratch your floor.

Back to the subject at hand: I still have no idea "How to reduce the slideout extension distance by 1/8" so the roller rests on the cross beam?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Slide Shoe.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	171979  
Old 07-22-2019, 06:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'd like to remind you to contact "AzPete" on this forum. Then your problem is solved.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Send a PM to azpete to get him involved.
If you have trouble, PM me and I'll give you his number.
Richard
Old 07-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I did PM "AzPete" and did not get a reply.

I contacted an RV shop and they said they do not work on slides. However, I am confident someone will have an answer soon.

Thanks for monitoring this post.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Send a PM to azpete to get him involved.
If you have trouble, PM me and I'll give you his number.
Richard
Take advantage of skyking's offer.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I was finally able to take some photos of the adjustment or "stop" bolts on my 2002 Suncruiser 35U.

You may or may not have them. Since your's is a flat floor, I'm guessing not but this may help someone else.

They're located at the outboard end of the two large suppport beams and control how tight the bottom of the slide closes against the outside wall of the coach. To adjust you loosen the lock nuts and screw the bolts in or out as needed. To move the slide closer to the coach when closed you'd screw the bolt head in, moving it away from the coach. Adjust in small increments, adjusting the front and rear bolts as needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190724_095653.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	171989   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190724_095641.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	171990  

Old 07-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I believe the OP wants to reduce the amount the slide goes out.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

YES... I would like to REDUCE the travel by 1/8".

I also PM "AzPete" and hope he can help us all with this information.

Note: I examined the support beam and it does show a little bending. This may account for 1/16". But when I am inside the coach, it looks like the extension on the galley end of the slide is out too far by 1/8".

My slide operation is fine. But I'm thinking there is a of of unwanted sidewall pressure created by the big slideout extending too far.

Hopefully, AzPete can help us out with an easy fix. And maybe there is a simple adjustment I can do by crawling inside the cargo area from the passenger side of the coach? TBD.

Tags
hwh, itasca, slide, slideout