Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

hwh springs

is there a model somewhere on my jacks? I have the 310 series and when I look at the HWH site it seems I need more info then just 310 series.
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There is a part number on a label on each of your jacks. Armed with that, you can order new springs from HWH. Or, if you call Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City, IA with your coach serial number, they can ship you the correct springs.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
There is a part number on a label on each of your jacks. Armed with that, you can order new springs from HWH. Or, if you call Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City, IA with your coach serial number, they can ship you the correct springs.
You can also talk directly to the folks at HWH and order parts from them. All you need is the coach serial number. It should give them the wheelbase length and weight ratings necessary to determine which springs you need. I contacted HWH when we needed a couple new springs. In some cases they have upgraded the springs. This is information Lichtsinn or other dealers may not have.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, it was dark when the spring broke. I found the model # this morning. looked at HWH site again and found the right part #. however Camping World does not have them in stock so will order a set tomorrow. I think I will order an extra set for a spare. I did a search and seen the trick to stretch them to get them on. my question is the jacks are down now with only one spring. when I store them will that one spring be strong enough to pull the shaft sideways and damage the seal or something. I asked the guy at CW and he just said be carefull. also is there any preventitive maintence I can do like spraying with WD40 or something to keep them from rusting. it did not break where the hook rubs, but just as it starts to wind.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I doubt you'll have any problems with only 1 spring other than it will probably be quite slow to retract. The springs don't put enough side pressure on the ram to pull it to the side. Most likely the pad will slip off the knob at the end of the ram when the spring retracts it. Then you can take a 2 x 4 or other lever an push up on the bottom of the ram until it's fully retracted.

HWH doesn't recommend using any petroleum based products for cleaning the jacks (including WD40). The petroleum attacks the seals to the point they either swell up and make extending and retracting the jacks difficult or cause them to leak. They recommend cleaning only with a non petroleum based silicone spray. Spray down the extended rams. Wipe them off with a clean lint free towel and retract. That's about it.
Having said that I've used WD 40 a few times to get off the stuck on road grime and tar. Before retracting the jacks I wipe off the WD 40 and respray and wipe them a couple times with silicone spray.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I am going to bring up the subject of the lubrication on the rams at the upcoming FMCA rally at Perry. Last year at a rally, one of the HWH guys did say to use WD40 -- I am not saying this is correct but, that is what was said ---I want to re-confirm that ---- I have been using silicone spray also.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

When you talk to someone at the rally be sure to ask if they work for HWH or a vendor. Some manufacturers have different recommendations and vendors think they apply to all leveling systems. We've gone to the Winnebago GNR several times and listened to the people from HWH (just down the road in Moscow IA) give instructions on how to care for their systems. For at least the last 10 years they've strongly advised against petroleum based products.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
I am going to bring up the subject of the lubrication on the rams at the upcoming FMCA rally at Perry. Last year at a rally, one of the HWH guys did say to use WD40 -- I am not saying this is correct but, that is what was said ---I want to re-confirm that ---- I have been using silicone spray also.
Just wipe the rams down with the same type fluid the jack system uses.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Dave,
As I understand it. HWH has stated you can use WD-40 to spray on to get rid of the grease and tar off the cylinder. But then they say to wipe OFF the WD-40 before raising the jack.
I also understand you can wipe off the cyclinders with a cloth and then spray them with a DRY silicon (NOT A WET SILICON) and then wipe them dry with a clean cloth.
In both cases you are not soaking the seals so they do not attract dust or dirt that can get lodged in the seals. Let us know what HWH says at Perry. Thanks.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I was asking about the spings themselves. seems like paint would not stay on and oil would attract dirt and debris.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I cleaned and painted mine with flat black RustOleum and the springs have held the paint for two years so far. I hate seeing rust and so far appears to have stopped any further degradation, plus they look great.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
Thanks, it was dark when the spring broke. I found the model # this morning. looked at HWH site again and found the right part #. however Camping World does not have them in stock so will order a set tomorrow. I think I will order an extra set for a spare. I did a search and seen the trick to stretch them to get them on. my question is the jacks are down now with only one spring. when I store them will that one spring be strong enough to pull the shaft sideways and damage the seal or something. I asked the guy at CW and he just said be carefull. also is there any preventitive maintence I can do like spraying with WD40 or something to keep them from rusting. it did not break where the hook rubs, but just as it starts to wind.
I remember the trick to keep the old springs stretched while raising the jack in order to remove the old springs, but how do you stretch the new springs in order to attach each end?

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I remember the trick to keep the old springs stretched while raising the jack in order to remove the old springs, but how do you stretch the new springs in order to attach each end?

Wagonmaster2
When I replaced all my jack springs last year, I used some nylon rope tied to a tree and used my golf car to 'stretch' each spring enough to add a bunch of wooden wedges to lengthen the springs for installation.

More recently when I discovered that one of my new springs was defective (weak), I simply used a long pry bar to remove and replace the new springs. Hang the springs from the bracket at the top and swing them to the side. Hook the foot on the springs and use a long pry bar to stretch them and slide the foot over the end of the jack. Pretty easy and very quick.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Mikf, caution to you when attempting to raise the jacks. HWH states that leaving the system energized longer than 4 minutes will damage the solenoids. I just had to replace mine for that reason. I had a slow jack that, over time, caused them to burn out. Turn the system on, do whatever you can to assist raising that one (pry bar, 2x4, etc.) but shut the system off at around 4 minutes if the jacks aren't up enough, and let the solenoids cool. After a bit, try that again. repeat as necessary. HWH solenoids are in short supply and aren't cheap.

The solenoids are energized all the time the system is on, therefore making heat.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post

Wagonmaster2
irv2 went ''down'' in the middle of my post last night...
here are some pictures. do a search and look up my post from last summer for more details.
i used a come along and ratchet straps to stretch the springs and separated clothes pins to keep the springs long enough to install. worked like a charm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00431.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	8568   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00432.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	8569  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00433.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	8570  
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote