Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have HWH jacks. They work fine but the two rear ones retract slowly. Today coming home, I waited 30 minutes for them to fully retract, then I had to use the Joe-K mud extract method to get them all the way up and make the beeping stop.

I started the engine and got the airbags fully inflated. I then put as many blocks as would fit under the jack that had not retracted. I then dumped the air and forced the jack up. This was repeated for the other side. It works but is a lot of work.
Does anyone know of anything I can check?
Thanks.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have HWH jacks. They work fine but the two rear ones retract slowly. Today coming home, I waited 30 minutes for them to fully retract, then I had to use the Joe-K mud extract method to get them all the way up and make the beeping stop.

I started the engine and got the airbags fully inflated. I then put as many blocks as would fit under the jack that had not retracted. I then dumped the air and forced the jack up. This was repeated for the other side. It works but is a lot of work.
Does anyone know of anything I can check?
Thanks.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Walt, Some people have had luck just spraying silicone on the shafts. 3M use to have teflon powder in a spray can. I don't know where to get it.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem on my new Horizon. HWH recomends that you spray white lithium grease around the shaft where it enters the tube. Extend the jacks all the way spray the seal area then retract. I have done this about three times and they work great now. HWH said it was due to the seals being very tight. Once you start the jacks retracting don't interupt the power by moving the ignition switch.
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have the same problem on an 04 Journey. I just got off the phone with HWH and was told to take off the breather and see if that works. He said there were some bad breathers out about that time. He also said to try wd40 and then some vasaline. He said if that don't fix it the jacks will have to be replaced.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by UPS 34:
I have the same problem on an 04 Journey. I just got off the phone with HWH and was told to take off the breather and see if that works. He said there were some bad breathers out about that time. He also said to try wd40 and then some vasaline. He said if that don't fix it the jacks will have to be replaced. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Where is the breather? How do I access it?
Walt
Old 01-18-2005, 09:03 AM   #7
PDB
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem, talked to HWH, they said to spray shaft with silicone spray. They also said, specifically to NOT use WD40 or any petroleum based product because it would attract and hold dirt, and make things worse.
The silicone spray did a lot of good, but the jack in question is still slower than the other three.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:58 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Walt, I believe the "breather" is in the oil fill cap, on top of the reservoir. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that they might feel a clogged breather would restrict the ability of the fluid to return home to the reservoir. The springs on the HWH jacks are the only thing that forces the piston rod back up, and pushes fluid back thru the lines to the reservoir.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by troth:
Walt, I believe the "breather" is in the oil fill cap, on top of the reservoir. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that they might feel a clogged breather would restrict the ability of the fluid to return home to the reservoir. The springs on the HWH jacks are the only thing that forces the piston rod back up, and pushes fluid back thru the lines to the reservoir. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Where is my reservior? How do I access it?
Thanks,
Walt
Old 01-18-2005, 03:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Walt, assuming your Medidian is laid out like my Journey, all the HWH stuff is basically under your entry steps. If you look in through the front "hood" down and to the left you will see a box about 12"x12" and a couple inches thick with a plexiglas front panel. That is the HWH "brain box" and all the other components are mounted right behind it.

The reservoir and pump are the lower level of the package and all the solenoids for the slideouts and jacks are mounted above them.

I had to check a solenoid wiring harness the other day and started out by sliding under the front and working my way back. Ended up sitting partially up in the passenger side wheel well. Realized after I was done that I probably could have turned the steering wheel hard left and gained access directly through the wheel well.

There are some decent drawings of the layout of the package in the HWH manual that make sense after you find it under there.

Good luck...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Walt, a little further explanation. The HWH pages numbers are a bit crazy, but what they call page MP65.270.C (which is about page 11 in the manual) is a good depiction of looking striaght down on the package. The lighter shaded rectangle just ahead of the breather cap is the top of the "brain box" that I mentioned previously.

Also, the idea of accessing it through the wheel well came to me after I had put it back in storage, so it may be bogus!! You would probably need to go in from the front anyway to get to the breather. From the back there's lots of wiring, solenoids, etc. in the way.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Anyone notice that this particular problem seems to be common to the 2004 (and newer???) Journey and Meridian? I have the same problem on my '04 Journey. I took it to CampingWorld who is an HWH authorised repair shop. The tech sprayed silicone on the fully extended shafts and retracted it a couple of times (it took 20 minutes the first time). As of last November they were working fine. But I will extend and spray befor using them this year.

One '04 Journey 34' w/350 CAT
Barney B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:34 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You would probably need to go in from the front anyway to get to the breather. From the back there's lots of wiring, solenoids, etc. in the way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I notice my front inside steps have a bolt under the front. Is there any access to HWH stuff through the steps on the Meridian/Journey?
Old 01-20-2005, 02:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The breather cap is on top of the HWH system tank. My thinking is if this was the problem all would be slow. Hwh said no. Fluid pushing back makes pressure build up in the system. I should of explained better the use of wd40. He said clean it with WD40. Wipe it off and then use vasaline.(Spelling?) I think the things need replacing. He said he will send me new ones if this don't work.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Follow up --
I followed the instructions presented here.
1) Extend fully
2) spray with WD40 to clean
3) Wipe completely with clean rag
4) Spray thoroughly with sillicone lubricant.
5) Retract
6) Repeat steps 4 and 5
7) Extend all jacks at same time
8) Do a retract test
9) Zippedy Do Dah, what fast jack retract I have.

Total cost about $2.00 Total time, 30 minutes.

Thanks guys -- Awesome forum.

Walt
Old 01-22-2005, 11:12 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Great news! Thanks for providing the follow up. I haven't noticed slow retract on mine YET, but I know what to do when it happens. May just do the silicone part as PM.