Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

HWH Slide nylon guides

I noticed my curbside slide was doing the "herky jerk" when extracting...further investigation noticed the bottom nylon guide on the rear ram was in pieces. I am assuming this is why it is doing the herky jerk...further inspection showed a few more of the guides on the other rams were cracked as well!! AARGH....so I have an appointment next week at 3t's in Lake Havasu...they told me about 2-3 hrs of labor per ram...parts are pretty inexpensive...it just never ends!!
Anyone go through this? Does the labor time seem correct?

Thanks!
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

My understanding is that 3T's has a very good reputation. Don't have any specific info other than that.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

john and tina at 3-t's are two of the nicest people you will ever meet.
3-t's is one of the best service centers in the country.
they are a hwh master service center, as well as an authorized winnebago repair facility. there are not many of those.
they do great work at a reasonable price. that is also hard to find.
if you are wondering if i work there, no i dont. i just like to promote great service where people provide service with a good attitude.
i do work for hwh. thats how i know them.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

AZ Pete. do you have any idea what causes this failure? The view is looking up from the ground to the bottom side of the aft slide mechanism on our 2005 Voyage 38 J. This is the second time this has happened in the last five months. After the first failure I was able to get the slide in and took the RV to the HWH factory. They removed the whole slide mechanism and replaced the bent part, but were not able to tell me why it happened, or how the those "flippers" that caused the damage work.

I concluded that the first failure was from letting the nylon guides wear out, and caused the slide to catch on the floor when the slide was brought in, but with new nylon guides that is not the case this time.

Any help would be appreciated as I am waiting on a return call from HWH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	139712   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed2.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	139713  

PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

It sounds like the posters to this thread know a lot more about repairs to the HWH slide mechanisms than I do. On a recent two week trip out west, my bedroom slide went out only an inch or two, and then started doing "The Herky Jerky", and moaning and groaning like the bottom was rubbing. For the rest of the trip I had to crawl over the top of SWMBO for my nightly trips to the porcelain throne, and although this occasionally had an interesting conclusion, I would like to get the thing repaired before I head south for the winter. Can these nylon glides be replaced without totally removing the slide room? I know that the rest of the hydraulic system is oK as the jacks work OK, as does the big living room slide.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

All done!!

Just finished with 3t's in Lake Havasu....replaced the bottom nylon slide that was missing/pieces on one of the bedroom slide rams...had him do a few more small items and all together it was $380...primarily labor.
I recommend 3t's if you have any HWH issues...spoke with the tech Robert for about a half an hour as he showed me around the HWH system...
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

i see from the pic that the outer wrap is distorted or bent. thats an indication of overload. i know most guys dont think thats the problem, but even my own slide did that and i weighed my stuff. i was over by a lot. now that may not always be the cause, but in my case it was, and on others i have worked on, it was.
i think winnebago says 500 lbs for all of the compartments on that slide. maybe someone here knows for sure.
im sure there are other causes, that i dont know of. plastic parts age and break. moving the room without being level, which a lot of dealers do, can also cause the breakage.
i just fix them.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
i see from the pic that the outer wrap is distorted or bent. thats an indication of overload. i know most guys dont think thats the problem, but even my own slide did that and i weighed my stuff. i was over by a lot. now that may not always be the cause, but in my case it was, and on others i have worked on, it was.
i think winnebago says 500 lbs for all of the compartments on that slide. maybe someone here knows for sure.
im sure there are other causes, that i dont know of. plastic parts age and break. moving the room without being level, which a lot of dealers do, can also cause the breakage.
i just fix them.
For some yet unknown to me reason, the "flippers" got locked in the "out" position, and when the slide continued to come out the "flippers" spread the slide rail apart, causing the room to drop down.

This is the same problem we had in March when we were in Quartzsite. I was able to get the slide in and we drove it back to Iowa to HWH, and they replaced the slide rail( the aluminum part that is bent), and things worked well until last week, when we put the slideout out in did the same thing, again. I dont have the time or money to spend $800 every five months.

By the way, the repair shop foreman(I believe that was his title), didnt know why it happened, or how the "flippers" worked, or what their purpose is.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Looks to be a totally different system than I have. All my slides are HWH too and none have that "flipper" under them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Looks to be a totally different system than I have. All my slides are HWH too and none have that "flipper" under them.
You usually dont see the flippers, at least not from this angle, but you could very well have a different design.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

The bottom of the slides are all a flat panel of aluminum. I did have one of the adjustable pad holders break and had to have it reinforced and rewelded. Cost me $45 to have a new piece and adjusting bolt welded on and they did it in one day. I was amazed at the low cost and quick service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160302_133615.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	140161   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160304_133358.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	140162  

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The bottom of the slides are all a flat panel of aluminum. I did have one of the adjustable pad holders break and had to have it reinforced and rewelded.
That does look completely different than mine looks.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The front big slide on my mh needs the slide bushings replaced as well. I was ordering some parts from Winnebago, so I ordered all the new plastic pieces thinking of doing it myself and changed my mind. I'm hoping the local camping world is capable of doing the job, not sure yet on how much it will cost

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
throbbin367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

You will be very satisfied with the excellent service 3-t's provides.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnystrom View Post
You will be very satisfied with the excellent service 3-t's provides.
When we had the problem the first time while in Quartzsite, we found online that 3-Ts was both an HWH authorized repair place as well as an authorized Winnebago repair place. Now I wish I had gone there instead of waiting till we came back to Iowa and taking the RV to the HWH factory as after HWH installed the new slide rail, they would not make any adjustments to the slide system. They said if we wanted adjustments to the system, we would have to take it to Winnebago, or to and authorized Winnebago repair place.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Well that's odd. We had our slide worked on there in Forest City replacing a landing strip on the front slide 3 years ago. That's where I met John from 3-t's as we were all there for the GNR. We only live 60 miles from the shop in Havasu.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
AZ Pete. do you have any idea what causes this failure? The view is looking up from the ground to the bottom side of the aft slide mechanism on our 2005 Voyage 38 J. This is the second time this has happened in the last five months. After the first failure I was able to get the slide in and took the RV to the HWH factory. They removed the whole slide mechanism and replaced the bent part, but were not able to tell me why it happened, or how the those "flippers" that caused the damage work.

I concluded that the first failure was from letting the nylon guides wear out, and caused the slide to catch on the floor when the slide was brought in, but with new nylon guides that is not the case this time.

Any help would be appreciated as I am waiting on a return call from HWH.
Just to update. We took the motorhome to HWH yesterday, October 6, and they replaced the aluminum "wrap" as they called it. They got a couple more people involved in the problem than the first time, and they spent some time "bench testing" the slide system before reinstalling it in the motorhome, and spent quite an amount of time making adjustments after they installed it. This all done under warranty, so not cost to us except the gas for the 150 mile one way drive, which is not bad considering at HWH we met a couple that drove from Charleston, SC to the HWH factory in Iowa for repairs on their motorhome.

So far the system is working well, and we hope it continues.

As a side note. Everyone we talked with at HWH was apologetic for our having to come back for the repair, and genuinely cared about our issues.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Good report. Glad they were able to help you folks out. These really ARE good coaches. We just need to stay on top of the maintenance and continue to share our experiences and the shops that help us out.

THANKS

Tags
guide, hwh, slide