Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Paul Smith of HWH Corp. gave a fantastic seminar here at the GNR and I made some notes. Just uploaded them to our web site. Here is the document.

Edit: The silicon spray with no oil that Paul recommends for gaskets is 3M 08897. I updated the document with the number.

A bit of sad news - the restaurant where HWH treats all service customers for lunch is closed!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Paul Smith of HWH Corp. gave a fantastic seminar here at the GNR and I made some notes. Just uploaded them to our web site. Here is the document.

Edit: The silicon spray with no oil that Paul recommends for gaskets is 3M 08897. I updated the document with the number.

A bit of sad news - the restaurant where HWH treats all service customers for lunch is closed!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Good info....thanks for your efforts

Betty Boop(Our white Boxer)
HuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

To make sure I understand (which sometimes takes repeated attempts) - Your build your air pressure up BEFORE you retract your jacks? That procedure would in most cases mean the air pressure buildup has already lifted the jacks off the ground???
Richard
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks John, great write up.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

John--thanks for that write up. It answered a couple of questions that I had. Hope you are having a great summer.

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dmason:
To make sure I understand (which sometimes takes repeated attempts) - Your build your air pressure up BEFORE you retract your jacks? That procedure would in most cases mean the air pressure buildup has already lifted the jacks off the ground???
Richard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The airbags won't start filling until a valve(s?) is/are closed by you punching store on the control panel.

The idea behind this is to have air in the tanks before you hit store so the bags won't be pinched with retracting jacks due to a large inrush of air from the tanks. With no air in the tank, it will take a while to fill the bags and they could get pinched early-on in the process.

This shouldn't be an issue if you are moving every day or even every week. If you do sit for a while and your tanks are low on air, then you want to run the engine until the spitter goes off.

Looks like GNR is winding down. It has been quite a bit of fun and just getting things fixed here for free (thanks to the generosity of the vendors) was worth the effort and money.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My MH is one of those rare examples without air but may I presume that all of your wonderful notes not related to air will otherwise apply to my HWH jacks and slides?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rockhouse:
My MH is one of those rare examples without air but may I presume that all of your wonderful notes not related to air will otherwise apply to my HWH jacks and slides? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Absolutely!

Old 07-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

John, did HWH elaborate on why not lift the front wheels of the ground? With air brakes I understand why not to lift the rear wheels. But I have lifted the fronts to get it level.

Also, is jack body movement something found on the newer units? I have never noticed this on our 2004 Journey 36G.

I am assuming sharing the same leveling board is suppose to help reduce flex? I use to carry boards with the trailer but have not done so with the MH. No room! Do sometimes use blocks when a jack is parked over a hole.

Our MH has no slide straps and so far, thankfully, have never had the two slides noticeably move.

The comments regarding cooling hydraulic oil and some jack retraction is something that I have recently experienced. So that was helpful as I could not understand why the jacks seem to retract a small bit sometimes and not other times. Thinking about it, "other times" would be the second day.

Thanks for posting. Your notes are helpful.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Steve - I have had my front wheels way off the ground at times also. Don't like to do it though.

I suspect Paul's concern is you have a pretty long lever with fully extended jacks supporting 12,000+ pounds (or possibly 2/3rds of the total coach weight) and there is more of a chance of lateral movement since the tires are in the air and not in ground contact.

We have experienced the coach shifting sideways in extreme leveling situations and it is startling to say the least !

I'm pretty sure Paul said all jacks have 7 degrees of movement, but you would need to run that by HWH.

One board across the pair of jacks is to keep them sort of 'tied' together so one jack doesn't slip off at a a dangerous angle in difficult leveling scenarios.

This situation in particular is encountered here at GNR due to the rolling terrain. Mike (DriVer aka 'Sparky') had fun leveling - go up to the GNR/iRV2 topic at the top of this forum and read Mike's early posts. He had a time getting setup!

You're welcome

Old 07-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Learned a couple of new items. Thanks, John!

Rose
Old 07-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Thanks Johnny C !
I've got that pdf stowed away in my Winnebago electronic vault.

I was wondering how many folks carry around a piece of lumber that would be stout enough to reach across a pair of jacks and not break under load in soft soil (like here at the GNR field). I think it would have to be 4"x8"x6 ft. Am I misunderstanding something here?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Theory meets reality

Old 07-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Thanks John

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Thanks, John. I didn't make that one this year.

We have noticed shifting to one side when leveling in an extreme situation when we had multiple blocks under one front jack and wheel. It is startling to say the least!! When the coach came to rest you could look underneath and see the left ram completely vertical and the right ram at an good angle outward toward the bottom. If you look at your jack rams when leveled on fairly level ground, I believe you will see both at an angle with the feet a bit further apart than the top end.

I am trying to imagine how using one block across both jacks could work, and cannot see it. If the kind of side-to-side extreme situation we were in, one side needs much more blocking than the other side. I don't see one common block connecting the jacks with more blocks under one doing much good to connect them unless we are talking about the ground actually shifting. I'll have to think about that one some more!
Old 07-25-2008, 05:05 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Excellent document John. Thanks
Old 07-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Thanks John....great job and I learned some new things from your notes.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

John thanks from across the Pacific - your notes are very helpful for us down here.

John S

1995 Winnebago Vectra
Lorene and John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:56 AM   #20
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
This situation in particular is encountered here at GNR due to the rolling terrain. Mike (DriVer aka 'Sparky') had fun leveling - go up to the GNR/iRV2 topic at the top of this forum and read Mike's early posts. He had a time getting setup! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>In my case the solution was basically 2 holes and a few blocks. Once prepped, the jacks were used as they should be to level the motorhome. If possible it would always be preferable to level the MH and still have the tires on the ground.

HWH came by and replaced my return springs by the way at a nominal cost. The tech told me that after 5 years or so the return springs do tend to stretch out and mine were heavily rusted as well.

The new springs have somewhat of a conical shape right before the attachment points as opposed to the previous square appearance.

The tech used a 3 foot long lever which had a hook mid-way on the tool to remove and install the springs. Before installing the springs he bent them to break the paint coating. I also found out that the springs need to match the lifting capacity of the jacks.

Thanks HWH! Good job.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote