Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

HWH right rear jack replacement

Hi Ho: Four or five years ago the rear jacks on our coach were not retracting as they should. I installed four new springs that have served well but the right rear jack finally started to stick and required quite a bit of pressure with a 2X4 to get it up.

This is what I learned: That particular jack on the Suncruiser is right behind the propane tank and access is a problem. Getting any wrench on the hydraulic line to disconnect it can be done but is best done with a helper with a flashlight. The hydraulic line has two hex nuts. The temptation is to turn the one furthest away from the fitting. This can be frustrating, as it doesn't remove the line.

If I were to remove this jack again I would extent the fitting an inch or two from the cylinder so that there is room to get a wrench on it. You can get a little more clearance from the coach floor by removing the six bolts that hold it on and dropping it a little, but the propane cylinder is still right in the way.

To determine if the cylinder needs to be rebuilt, remove pressure by removing the 1/8 inch pipe thread bolt on the front of the jack (faces away from the coach). But be sure to support that side of the coach. I used two 4X4 posts on the frame. And be prepared for a stream of hydraulic fluid under a lot of pressure. If the jack retracts when the presssure is released rebuilding the jack is not the answer. If it doesn't retract, HWH will rebuild it and return it in a week or two.

Good luck, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

And you did try Vaseline on the ram? I have also had HWH recommend silicon spray.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: In this case nothing helped and I did try about everything since I had nothing to lose. Well, they are about 10 years old now and maybe like the old Maytag washer and dryer just gave up. There is a poem called "The wonderful one-horse Shay" that applies. Maybe someone has read it.

The thing that made this feel different is that the jack came up about 1 inch off the ground and just stopped. It took a lot of persuading (a lot of pressure) to move it past the sticking point.

The point of my post is that removing the cylinder and having it rebuilt is not a big deal -- except of that wheel. I forgot that a small (4 inch) crescent wrench is the only hope for getting the hydraulic line off. There just isn't room for ordinary wrenches.

I bet that the factory just take the propane tank off to get access.

Have a good day, Dirk
Old 08-25-2009, 01:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirko View Post
Hi Ho: In this case nothing helped and I did try about everything since I had nothing to lose. Well, they are about 10 years old now and maybe like the old Maytag washer and dryer just gave up. There is a poem called "The wonderful one-horse Shay" that applies. Maybe someone has read it.

The thing that made this feel different is that the jack came up about 1 inch off the ground and just stopped. It took a lot of persuading (a lot of pressure) to move it past the sticking point.

The point of my post is that removing the cylinder and having it rebuilt is not a big deal -- except of that wheel. I forgot that a small (4 inch) crescent wrench is the only hope for getting the hydraulic line off. There just isn't room for ordinary wrenches.

I bet that the factory just take the propane tank off to get access.

Have a good day, Dirk
you need a set of crows foot wrenches from harbor freight.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho Dan: I actually have a set (probably from Sears, but maybe from Harbor Freight), but there is too little room to connect them. The fitting is just too close to the cylinder, roof and propane tank. I was finally able to get a very small wrench to connect and it would turn less than 60 degrees, so I had to turn it over repeatedly to get it to work.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirko View Post
Hi Ho Dan: I actually have a set (probably from Sears, but maybe from Harbor Freight), but there is too little room to connect them. The fitting is just too close to the cylinder, roof and propane tank. I was finally able to get a very small wrench to connect and it would turn less than 60 degrees, so I had to turn it over repeatedly to get it to work.
if memory serves, (this was about 2 years ago), i used a long 3/8 drive wobble extension and a 3/8 "t" bar along with a crows foot on my jack fittings. i didn't try to loosen anything, just making sure everything was tight. maybe you could use an angle open end wrench. it would fit on my fittings, but the crows foot was easier as i could get 10-12" lower with the extension.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Dirk,
I took a wrench & cut it in half & it did a great job, but mine was on the drivers side. It's still in my tool box, I seen it tonight. So I'm ready for the next jack problem.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote