Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HWH problems, 07 Journey, got a few questions

Hoping to get some guidance. I have a 07 Journey 34H, new to me, that has developed a HWH pump problem. I noticed the smell of burning electrics after using the auto levelers. Searching for the source of the smell led me to the area under the stairs and then to the hwh pump assembly.

I reran the auto level procedure and watched the pump and saw the output terminal of the fulltime solenoid begin to smoke and then glow, yikes. Shut that down and crawled underneath. Could see the terminal had some corrosion and effects of heat damage.

This morning i crawled back underneath and hoped a little cleanup of the terminal would fix the problem.. Of course i put a socket on the terminal and applied a little twist and it just snapped. The plastic around the terminals was cooked and fractured very easily. Access to this area is pretty tight so i expect this to be a PIA job.. Any insight into working in this area would be appreciated.

Now i had switched the main power terminal off in the engine compartment, but there is still a small voltage showing up on the battery + terminal connection to solenoid. Is the only way to remove power from this area chassis and house battery removal?

I have read that this fulltime solenoid is a Ford part, anybody got a part number?

During this failure process the motor for the pump seemed to be running fine, just the overheated terminal on solenoid observed. I am hoping it was just a corrosion resistance creating the heat. Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help.. Great to have this kind of resource available!

'07 Journey 34H CAT C7/350
atomasze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Those solenoids are indeed a Ford product and you probably don't need a part number. They are used in many applications such as snow plows, ect.

If you can, just take the old one with you and show it to the parts guy. He should have them on hand.
Cooperhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

In case you don't know, I would expect that the top two of your entrance steps would hinge up to provide access the the HWH pump, etc. There should be a nut on a stud under the lip of each step in the center.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

My friends '02 Journey had a sheet rock screw on either end of the top step. Buried and mostly invisible due to the carpet. Once those screws were removed, step hinged up out of the way for better access to the top of the HWH manifold and electrics.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Update:

After trying to remove just the solenoid, very difficult, it turned into removing both solenoids, and motor as one assembly. Doing the motor assembly removal was just an easier approach.

Trying to work through the steps to access was impossible for me, full size adult to large and arms to short. Ended up crawling into wheel well for access around splash shield.

Anyway figured i would replace motor assembly while i got it out. Called HWH and have new parts on the way, $OUCH$. The motor and relays have been obsoleted and new part #'s provided will be sent. I hope everything fits back in there as it was pretty tight. The motor goes from a 3.7" diameter to a 4.5" diameter. This could add to the enjoyment of installation..

Thanks for the feedback

Old 08-11-2018, 05:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have a 05 Journey 39 and went through a similar situation. I know what you mean getting to the solenoids. Very fun to reach and for me I had to remove the chassis battery grounds to kill the voltage. My solenoid that failed was intermittent. Made for a real challenge finding it. It always went out on a trip when I needed to pull the slides in. Ugh. I now carry a spare solenoid and a jumper to get the slides in or out in a pinch. Good luck getting it back together. I only bled three times fighting this. LOL
Rogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Update: Closing

Just an info update on HWH problem. Parts replacements suggested by HWH arrived, 2 days.

I have a AP29578 pump assembly in my 07 Winnebago Journey 34H. The new motor part # RAP90415 and fulltime and intermittent solenoids.

So i tried to offer up the new motor to the pump assembly while pump assembly is still installed on RV. The new motor is almost an inch larger in diameter, and length. I expressed these size concerns to HWH when they told me this was the only options. There seemed to be no way i would get the motor to mate into the pump while assembly was installed in RV. It also looks like a difficult job in removing the pump assembly. Atleast more work than i wanted to do.

So i ended up using the old motor, and the new solenoids and put things back together. I was very happy when i had everything working as expected after finishing reinstall.

Now i will try to get HWH to take back the motor, they insisted would fit. If not another large, heavy paper weight gets put on a shelf.

Tags
ems, hwh, journey, problems