Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

This past week end I had the pleasure of getting together with the Wisconsin WIT folks at Jefferson, WI. I had lowered my jacks & ran the slides out. I wanted to fine tune my level and nothing worked (jacks or slides) My new friends had several suggested solutions. I could hear the solenoid snap but the motor would not run. I got out my tester and determined the 12 V power was getting through to the post on the motor but It was dead. I went and got my trusted hammer and lightly tapped it a couple of times and low & behold it worked to finish my level.

I called HWH on Friday afternoon. I gave them the motor # and they promised to UPS one out that afternoon. I worried all week end if I would be able to get my slides in on Sunday morning so I could leave for home. The motor ran enough to get the slides in so I could return home. When I got home the motor no longer would run but I was home.

Moral To The Story--- NEVER LEAVE HOME WITH OUT A HAMMER

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

This past week end I had the pleasure of getting together with the Wisconsin WIT folks at Jefferson, WI. I had lowered my jacks & ran the slides out. I wanted to fine tune my level and nothing worked (jacks or slides) My new friends had several suggested solutions. I could hear the solenoid snap but the motor would not run. I got out my tester and determined the 12 V power was getting through to the post on the motor but It was dead. I went and got my trusted hammer and lightly tapped it a couple of times and low & behold it worked to finish my level.

I called HWH on Friday afternoon. I gave them the motor # and they promised to UPS one out that afternoon. I worried all week end if I would be able to get my slides in on Sunday morning so I could leave for home. The motor ran enough to get the slides in so I could return home. When I got home the motor no longer would run but I was home.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 09-17-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
Foz
Winnebago Camper

Did your part arrive from HWH? My experience was that the staff at HWH is awesome!
Old 09-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Foz:
Did your part arrive from HWH? My experience was that the staff at HWH is awesome! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Foz;
If it was shipped Friday I would not expect it until Tuesday. My experience with HWH has all been positive as well.

Don
Old 09-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Moral To The Story--- NEVER LEAVE HOME WITH OUT A HAMMER </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I never do!
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Don:

I always carry a hammer....never know when something will need a good whack!

My HWH pump motor failed soon after we got the coach in 2005...actually 3 days before the 3 yr. HWH warranty was to expire. Was replaced by a local Winne dealer no charge.

I'm waiting for my RF jack from HWH now. Was fairly easy to remove.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That, WD40 and Duct tape.

If it's stuck a hammer, if it squeeks WD 40 and if it comes apart Duct tape.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Don,

Was it the motor that failed until you "talked" to it or was it the solenoid?

I had the same exact experience when I tried to pull the slides in and raise the jacks after a weekend out. We resorted to the "emergency" procedures to retract everything. NOTE: The book says not to back the solenoid release nuts more then four turns. Four turns netted me a broken bleed screw on three jack solenoids. Also, two of the jack solenoids and one slide solenoid (nuts on both sides of the lower solenoids) did not release pressure and allow the jacks to come up or the slide - small closet slide in the bedroom - to be pushed in. Hydraulic lines for the two jacks and the slide had to be cracked to relieve pressure enough to get the coach into a safe configuration to drive. We were within a day of HWH so we proceeded to the factory service dept. for repairs. The solenoid on the motor must have "welded" the contacts and the ride in must have broken them loose. Everything worked for the tech at the factory, solenoids with broken screws were replaced and things have been operating normally since but now I am uncomfortable everytime I need to operate the system.

Yes, we talked to everyone we could before resorting to the "emergency" procedures - local Winnie Dealer, Winnie Tech support and HWH. HWH took care of me very promptly and professionally. However!
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:04 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Well we need more details on the hammer, was it a claw hammer or ballpeen or just a sledge hammer? And we need to how heavy was it 16 oz?, 18oz? 20oz? 22oz? or should we be measureing in lbs? Plus if it was a claw hammer was it streight or curved claw?

Because we all know we need the right tool for the job

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FleetMan:
Don,

Was it the motor that failed until you "talked" to it or was it the solenoid? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FleetMan;
It was the motor. I checked the solenoid with a tester and power was being applied to the post on the motor. I was really worried I would have to resort to emergency procedures to get the slides in. The jacks would still retract as the solenoids were still working.

Don
Old 09-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvcarpenter:
Well we need more details on the hammer, was it a claw hammer or ballpeen or just a sledge hammer? And we need to how heavy was it 16 oz?, 18oz? 20oz? 22oz? or should we be measuring in lbs? Plus if it was a claw hammer was it straight or curved claw?

Because we all know we need the right tool for the job </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rvcarpenter;

It was a claw hammer. Your post has led me to think that maybe I should add a sledge hammer to my list. If I would have had to resort to the problems that FleetMan went through I certainly would have wanted to use a sledge hammer.

Don