Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HWH Leveling System stopped working

I levelled my MH last night and when I tried to store the jack today I heard weird cracking noise different than usual and stopped the system before all jacks were up. When turning the system on again, all red lights are on as usual but nothing happens pressing any buttons (store, up or down of any legs) but I heard a click in the HWH control box under the dash.

The back jacks are not completely stored (few inches from the ground) ands the front ones are still tight on the ground.

Are there any fuse controlling the pump? What can I do to manually store the jacks? Anyone had this problem before?

Anny help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

There might be a handle or valve on the front of the solenoid valves that you could turn and then use something to lever the jacks to the stored position.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Had this happen within the last week.
Cause was low voltage on the starter batteries powering the HWH system.
Showed up as a little red battery fault light to the right of the power on button.
Cause was dirty contacts on the B.I.R.D. isolator solenoid relay. Was on pedestal power charging the coach batteries but the starter batteries were down to 9.7 volts (bad bad).

Cleaned the contacts, checked closed contacts for 0 resistance.
Used a portable 10 amp battery charger on the starter batteries for 8 hours prior to hooking back up the bird solenoid to minimize the current when connecting the battery banks back together and removing the portable charger.

Then the HWH worked like new.

Otherwise check all the wire connections including the grounds that go the HWH Hyd power pack especially the big ones.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

There are "T" handles on the valve solenoids than may be loosened to manually raise the jacks. If you don't have your owners manual, choose it from this list.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert66 View Post
Had this happen within the last week.
Cause was low voltage on the starter batteries powering the HWH system.
Showed up as a little red battery fault light to the right of the power on button.
I just check my engine and house batteries and they are all full.

I have to find where my solonoid valves are now
Old 05-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Try turning the chassis battery off for a minute. Then back on. If you don't have a chassis battery disconnect switch, disconnect the negative lead from the battery.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

So did ours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi26 View Post
I levelled my MH last night and when I tried to store the jack today I heard weird cracking noise different than usual and stopped the system before all jacks were up. When turning the system on again, all red lights are on as usual but nothing happens pressing any buttons (store, up or down of any legs) but I heard a click in the HWH control box under the dash.

The back jacks are not completely stored (few inches from the ground) ands the front ones are still tight on the ground.

Are there any fuse controlling the pump? What can I do to manually store the jacks? Anyone had this problem before?

Anny help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Did your slides stop working when your jacks stopped working? We have a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38g. Our slides and jacks are operated with the same HWH hydraulic pump motor. When it stops, we can hear what I believe to be the solenoid clicking. Based on another posters response, we take a small hammer and tap on the motor while another person engages the extend/retract button on the slides. This will usually cause the system to start again so we can finish storing the jacks and closing the slides. Today we dropped her off in the shop and expect to replace the entire motor, since we understand the relay and the motor to be one unit. It is worth a try.
pegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My slides are working fine. I opened the T-handles to manually open the solonoid switches and was able to store the jacks. I found the location of the pump fuse and found out that it was blown. Replace it and the pump now works fine. The front jacks are not retracting automatically now. One can be lift using a bar and prying it up but the other seems seized. That could have been the noise I heard when I pressed the store button initially. I will have to have it checked.

Is there something special to do after opening the solonoid swithes using the t- valves? I closed them and when retracting the jack using the pad they did not extend by pair. Using the back extend arrow only one went down and the other eventually went down.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Make sure the tank has enough oil to read on the dipstick or sight-gauge. Operate your jacks a few time to help purge any trapped air from the system. Only add oil when your jacks are retracted, otherwise you'll overfill and make a mess on the ground when you do retract the jacks.
There are a few things you can do to improve jack retraction. Gently scrap dirt away from the jack seal around the piston, then clean the piston with light oil and wipe off to prevent it from attracting dirt again. Our jacks get a lot of road grime and water spray while driving. Since they are out-of-sight and out-of-mind, we ignore them until they give us problems.
I know I should have said this in my first reply, but do not overtighten the solenoid valves it may damage the needle valve and seat.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Yogi, This may not apply, but I had something like your problem. And since it only shows up about 20 minutes before you get on the road it's a bi!ch. The HWH system has an aluminum manifold with the solenoids screwed into it, which you've seen. If you cannot release prestige in the system by manually opening the solenoids, a plastic flip handle,a screw T handle or a small hex screw, then the next thing it's to remove one of the hex caps on the top of the manifold above the ports where the solenoids are. Only one is needed. This may cure the problem(and spray oil, so always protect your eyes). If this doesn't work, there is a "U" tube on the top of the manifold, loosen this and see if the pressure it's relieved. One end of the U tube goes to the infamous shuttle valve. To remove out you have to hold it with wrench, remove the 90 degree elbow and then break it loose with a socket. If the shuttle is stuck, there may be a small pin protruding from the bottom of the valve. Directions say push the pin in, reinstall everything and try to retract again. I cleaned the valve ports with WD40 for good luck and 3 of 4 legs retracted. For #4 I had to manually release pressure at the leg cylinder and finally lever the leg up. There I did get squirting 15 feet and the RV dropping so quick it almost bottomed the shock. There is a small plug at the bottom of the leg cylinder. I can't emphasize enough to be careful if you have to do this. There are tech bulletins at the HWH website about all of this, with pictures. BTW HWH recommends using only WD40 to line the leg pistons.
Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for your help. I have lots of checking to do over the weekend.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

So what do you use to add fluid? Transmission fluid ok? Also,how much does it hold?
Per HWH FAQ:
The use of HWH Specialty Hydraulic Oil is recommended but Dexron or multipurpose transmission fluids can be used if necessary. DO NOT use hydraulic jack oil, brake fluid or power steering fluid.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

BTW,I noticed fluid in both rear jack pads while extended this past weekend. Hopefully this isn't a major repair. The dipstick shows very low today while retracted.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGHP View Post
BTW,I noticed fluid in both rear jack pads while extended this past weekend. Hopefully this isn't a major repair. The dipstick shows very low.
Not a good sign; fluid level should be tested with all jacks retracted. Fitting checked at the jacks to make sure they are tight. If a seal is leaking, some members report having the jacks rebuilt at , tractor repair shops, others order direct from the leveler manufacturer.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

They all were all retracted today when I checked the fluid level.

Tags
hwh, leveling