Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My driver side rear jack has been slow to retract for sometime. Today, after driving it some and bringing it home, this jack will only go down about 4 -5" and will not touch the groundto level.

I will check the fluid level tomorrow, but just thought I would ask this forum. I have searched, but haven't really found a thread that addresses my question.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I have an Adventurer 2005 38R. The HWH controls are located just behind the front wheel inside the storemore slideout. It can be accessed with the slide in, but not very conveniently.

Anyway, when I compare my unit to the one in the book, it looks exactly like it EXCEPT there are not valve releases. Looking at the drawing, the hoses connections go out the back of the unit like the drawing shows, but instead of the valve release handles/nuts, there are 4 units ( look like cylinoids ) that have two wires coming out of each and with no " release handles/nuts.

Any idea what kind of unit I have? I will call HWH tomorrow, but I know on my 2002 Adventurer there were the 4 cylinders with the handles and it was easy to manually retract.

My driver rear cylinder will not move up or down. I was going to manually retract it to check the oil level, but I cannot find a release handle.....

Again, andy insight on exactly what I have would be appreciated.
gtcoatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My driver side rear jack has been slow to retract for sometime. Today, after driving it some and bringing it home, this jack will only go down about 4 -5" and will not touch the groundto level.

I will check the fluid level tomorrow, but just thought I would ask this forum. I have searched, but haven't really found a thread that addresses my question.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I have an Adventurer 2005 38R. The HWH controls are located just behind the front wheel inside the storemore slideout. It can be accessed with the slide in, but not very conveniently.

Anyway, when I compare my unit to the one in the book, it looks exactly like it EXCEPT there are not valve releases. Looking at the drawing, the hoses connections go out the back of the unit like the drawing shows, but instead of the valve release handles/nuts, there are 4 units ( look like cylinoids ) that have two wires coming out of each and with no " release handles/nuts.

Any idea what kind of unit I have? I will call HWH tomorrow, but I know on my 2002 Adventurer there were the 4 cylinders with the handles and it was easy to manually retract.

My driver rear cylinder will not move up or down. I was going to manually retract it to check the oil level, but I cannot find a release handle.....

Again, andy insight on exactly what I have would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

gtcoatie ...

Your adventurer has one resevoir for hydrolic fluid to run both your slides and your jacks.

If you are losing fluid then you should see evidence of leakage around your jacks or the rams for your slides.

Look at your manual for instructions on checking the fluid level and be careful when adding fluid to follow those directions precisely ... not following those instructions can lead to a big mess ... I know
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

gtcoatie, Make sure that your slides are in and the jacks are up before you check the fluid level. If low added ATF. It sounds like the fluid is low. If not call Steve at HWH 1-800-321-3494. I had the problem once low fluid. On my cylinoids they have a T handle screw on each one.They turn easy at first and then get tight and you keep turning it and soon it will release the pressure.On the circuit board for your hydralic system you will see four gray relays and just under them are four fuses, blue in color 15 amps. Check them and see if one is blown.I blow one,just replaced it and everything worked fine.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

According to Winnebago's Parts Catalog for your model 2005 Adventurer 38R you have an HWH 325 system. This should be the manual for your system: HWH 325 Operator's Manual. It includes information and illustrations on how to manually retract the jacks.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You should have one solenoid for each jack, four in a row on top of the pack. The solenoid on the driver side should be the one for the left rear jack. If you do not have the "T" handles to release the pressure, you should have recessed 1/4" brass nuts (bleed screws)recessed into the end of the solenoid - opposite the wires. You'll need a 1/4" deep socket to access the nut properly, the plastic socket end on the filler cap is not a reliable tool - at least in my experience. The book says to back the nut off NO MORE THAN FOUR (4)TURNS counterclockwise to release pressure on that circuit. DO NOT GO MORE THAN 3 1/2 turns or you'll break the bleed screw , ask me, I know from experience. If that doesn't work, loosen the hydraulic line on the back of the solenoid and bleed the pressure off manually. It is messy but it works and the springs will retract the jack as advertised.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I don't know if your system is an auto leveling system like I have on my 2002 Ultimate Advantage. On it when it goes into auto level mode, it will "tackle" the area that needs the most leveling and then go for the second area. At the very end, it will lower a jack that might not have been used in the leveling mode to touch the ground and stablize the coach. If during the leveling mode, I get a signal saying that the leveling can not be done because of "excessive slope", the last jack will not go to the ground to stablize. This is correct and is mentioned in the HWH manual. Does this sound like what is happening with the one jack on your MH that is not going down all the way?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy Chesnutt:
.On the circuit board for your hydralic system you will see four gray relays and just under them are four fuses, blue in color 15 amps. Check them and see if one is blown.I blow one,just replaced it and everything worked fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't easy figuring out how to get in the circuit board control box, but once I figured out how to get the front glass off, I discovered one of the fuses is blown. I am figuring I can get one at an auto supply store. I will get one tomorrow ( actually 2 to have one spare ), plug it in and see if it works.

Thanks....this forum is GREAT.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy Chesnutt:
If not call Steve at HWH 1-800-321-3494. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I called and talked with Frank today. He said I have a bad cylenoid. He is going to send a new one out. He asked how the jacks were operating normally, and when I told him they were REAL slow, he asked me to check the one that works and if it works faster when pushed with a hand, he would send two new springs. That is what I did, and that is what I need. HWH does it right...NO doubt. I love their product, and their customer service is even better....