Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

HWH Leveler

I have a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer with HWH levelers. The right rear one does not come up unless I use a tire tool and a bottle jack. I had it working for a while using Marvel Mystery Oil but it has refused to work again. Someone told me his repairman recommended petroleum jelly and I tried that. I think it made it worse. Any suggestions?
1killowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

jack trouble

I use dry silicone spray on mine extend them all the way wipe them off and spray the silicone on then down. it dose not collect dirt like other lubes do and it wont damage the rubber seals. You may need new springs i have had to replace a couple that just lost there pull mike
Old 06-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If you have not already done so I would ensure the Hyd. fluid tank is full. Next would be to suspect the springs. Do not recommend grease or jelly for same reason previous post stated due to dirt attachment.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

1killowatt, here is the link to HWH Jack Maintenance. I think the key is cleaning not lubing.
http://www.hwh.com/ml47149.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

1killowatt;

Once a few years ago I had a similar problem. I tried every suggestion but could not get the jack to retract properly. Living about a day's driving from the HWH factory at Moscow, IA I called and made an appointment. After explaining my problem they determined I needed a new jack. Somehow the shaft had become slightly bent to the point it would bind while retracting. After replacing the jack I have never had jack problems again.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

killowatt, you may find something that works for a while, but you will have to have that cylinder rebuilt. contact hwh and send it in. you get a one year warranty with that.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

leveling jacks not retracting.

Hi everyone. You can lube these jack cylinders shafts but that will not fix your problem. It's the seals that cause the problems. The fix is replacing the jacks. I have a 2002 Adventurer and had 2 rear jacks retracting very slow. I made appointment with HWH,(July 1st) I live 51 miles from factory in Moscow, Iowa. They replaced both rear jacks in 1 hour. These are great people to deal with, treated me very well. They warranted 1 of the jacks. Rebuilt jacks are 287.00 dollars each and 1/2 hour labor (45.00 dollars). If your jacks won't retract you are fighting a losing battle just replace them and enjoy your coach.
RickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs up hwh jack will not retract

I had a rear jack on my 1999 sun cruiser that was very slow to retract, and eventually I had to resort to the trolly jack to get it back up. I had a welder friend of mine tear it down. This involved cutting off the end cap. What he found inside was that when the side trundles were welded on they warped the tube, causing it to bind. He honed the inside of the tube to restore it to a smooth surface, and along with a $15.00 packing kit I now have a working jack. It was a lot cheaper than a new $400.00 jack from hwh!!
rabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

WD-40 to the rescue

I used the HWH hint of spraying the tube with WD-40 and then wiping it clean.

Before doing that the slow front jack was taking 1.5 to 2 minutes longer than the other ... after treatment 10 seconds longer.

Thanks for the HWH maintenance document ... and another kudo for WD-40
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh