Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

HWH jacks not returning.

I have a 40 ft 2005 Winnebago Vectra. The problem I have is with the jacks not returning when putting into store mode. I have to get a lever and apply upward pressure to the bottom of the jacks. I was told by a RV service company that the jacks had to be replaced. The problem has been getting worse over time. I can understand that maybe one jack might go bad but not all four at the same time. I purchased the Vectra three years ago and contacted the previous owner since that time. The previous owner told me that the jacks had always been very slow to return and that he could get no help from HWH. When I contacted HWH two years ago the service person told me to replace the jacks but did not have me go through any diagnostics. Any help out there?
DBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum DBeck.
Make sure your fluid tank ,with bell vent, is filled to the two lines on shaft.
Fully extent your jacks apply Heavy Duty Silicone spray to jack shafts and wipe off may need to do a couple of times.
Next hit store on control and wait for retraction of jacks. You may have to repeat a couple of times spray, wipe, retract.
If this doesn't work for you call HWH and order jack. The jack can be replaced yourself if your handy with tools.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Usually it is the return springs or solenoids that are the problem. I can't believe HWH said to replace jacks without having you do some diagnostic tests. You can look up your system here and run the diagnostic tests

HWH Service Manuals
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

In 2004 - 2005 HWH had problems with seals being to tight on some jacks, which caused them to retract slowly and some stopped working all together. The problem usually showed up within the warranty period (3 yrs) and were replace under the warranty by HWH. This could be your problem but it sounds like the previous owner did not follow through on getting it resolved. Sometimes cleaning the struts and lubricating them will make it work for a short period again. HWH advises against using silicone spray.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I also have slow retracting HWH jacks. I have a new set of springs on order which HWH states will resolved 90% of slow retracting jack issues out there. Also, Ashley from HWH recommended that I spray WD40 on the jack shafts and then wipe off with a paper towel. There seems to be many posts on here about not putting anything on the jack shafts so I called and spoke to a completely different person this morning at HWH. He told me the same thing Ashely did. WD40 is okay as long as you wipe off the excess fluid before retracting.

Installing new springs is a very simple job. There are several posts on here that even include pictures on how to do it. With my springs being 9 years old, they were very easy to remove. I will have my new springs in by Friday and will be good as new. I just hope I'm in that 90%. Ashley also told me a quick way to determine if my solenoids have gone bad is if the jacks are still slow to come up with the new springs, turn the T handles and the rear of the solenoids. If the jacks start to retract noramally, the solenoids have gone bad by leaving the jacks in the on "Store" position too long and burning them out.

New solenoids run about $400. I just replaced all 8 springs on my 4 jacks for $118. I certainly hope it was just the springs.
leedowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If the springs on your jacks haven't already been replaced with new ones (with the tapered ends) then doing that would be the first thing I would recommend.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Journey and have the same problem as most everyone that has HWH jacks. I have found using WD-40 is the best solution but I still have problems on occasions. One thing I have found to work (sometimeas) is to use the down arrow on the control pad. Most times the troublesome jack will retract. I did replace the springs on one jack and saw no improvement. Hopefully my next MOHO will not have HWH jacks.
slick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

It seems that no matter the brand they all have their problems. You hear more about HWH because they have the lion share of the market, so naturally you hear of more problems.
They do however stand behind their products, while you can not even talk to some of other brand's support because they will only deal with dealers and not directly with the user. It's a hydraulic/mechanical system, so problems will occur.
When problems do occur (I had to replace all 4 of my levelers), I was not a happy trooper but my experience indicates they have good support and I have always been able to get the parts I needed.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I agree with Harry. I have a 2005 Itasca Horizon and it had the jack with tight seals. I had all 4 jacks replaced in the first year of ownership. HWH was great to deal with. Outstanding customer service.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

we are replacing all 4 jacks on an 05 Coachmen, 3 stopped working altogether and the 4th was slow, will post after the new ones are installed and let you know if the problem is solved.
Klaseeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We have an 04 Newmar with a jack issue on driver front. Have had to replace two selonoids so far. I called HWH and they were more then helpful as they had no selonoids available but recommended a shop that rebuilt them in Indiana. Springs could be an issue and would probably be the least expensive place to start. Make sure your resovoir is full as that might cause a slow retraction. If you have to manually retract the jacks, back the nut off on the end of the selonoid a couple of turns and will help you retract the jacks manually much easier. Don't forget to retighten the nut though. Hope some of this helps. Good Luck!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I am one of those that subscribe to nothing on my jacks. Well almost. When they get slow I wipe them with ATF and then a soft clean rag. I have been doing this for years when ever a jack gets close to getting out of spec. I heard once that 10 min is the spec. The best thing I found is not to stand or sit there and watch them. They away take longer when being watched. The 'watched pot' syndrome. The best thing I have found via a tip from a friend is to dip a Q tip in the ATF and clean between the shaft and the cylinder. There is an outer seal that seems to get really cruddy. Especially on RR jack. May take a 1/2 dozen Q tips but will you definitely see an change in color as you clean. One of these days I will get around to changing springs. Almost stopped by HWH when I was in Iowa a couple of months ago. Maybe next year.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Light spay with CRC...WD 40 does do as well.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

If your HWH system uses springs to retract jacks and you haven't replaced them yet, I'd suggest doing that. Springs for my system were not that expensive. I have a 2004 Adventurer and have replaced the springs twice, successfully.
davmarmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
If the springs on your jacks haven't already been replaced with new ones (with the tapered ends) then doing that would be the first thing I would recommend.
cbeierl,
I take it you replaced your springs? If that is correct, do you happen to recall what the HWH spring replacement number is for your 2005 Vectra? I also have problems where two of my jacks fail to store fully. They both stop with about 1/2" of shaft exposed. I can push them up manually so I assume it is the springs. Guess I need to give HWH a call and get some springs on order....
Old 07-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I read use a non petroleum distilate silicon spray on the jack rod since Petroleum eats away at the seals. wipe off excess

HWH recommends WD-40 ("Water Displacement - 40th Attempt")

HWH
CORPORATION (R)

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmercer View Post
cbeierl,
I take it you replaced your springs? If that is correct, do you happen to recall what the HWH spring replacement number is for your 2005 Vectra? I also have problems where two of my jacks fail to store fully. They both stop with about 1/2" of shaft exposed. I can push them up manually so I assume it is the springs. Guess I need to give HWH a call and get some springs on order....
The springs on all four of my jacks were replaced under HWH warranty in Nov, 2006. The part number for the return spring kit is R91642. The new springs have tapered ends while the old ones were straight.

I would give HWH a call and see what they recommend. They're pretty good at helping folks out.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

cbeierl, will do. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Same old story. HWH does not give a hoot because RV manufacturers keep buying this agrivating product. I keep a 6 foot pipe in my RV just for those times when the jacks decide to act up. I see the only solution to be stronger springs but then that would have a negative effect on the hydralics (sp). They got us by the shorts....
slick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Here is one observation. I also have had (and still have) agrivating HWH jacks. I sent my left side jacks to HWH to be rebuilt. Now I notice that one the newly rebuilt jacks can have about 1/2" of polished ram showing without the alarm going off while one of the originals will set the alarm off if it hangs 1/8". I think HWH might know of this problem so the reset the sensor to avoid the alarm issue.
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote