Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2010, 04:45 AM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmarmax View Post
If your HWH system uses springs to retract jacks and you haven't replaced them yet, I'd suggest doing that. Springs for my system were not that expensive. I have a 2004 Adventurer and have replaced the springs twice, successfully.

They put a car jack under the jacks and it lifted the coach...jacks are on back order from hwh, anyone know where to find them elsewhere?
Klaseeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 1994 30 foot Fleetwood Coronado with the Milwaukee jacks.
I have not had any trouble with the jacks in the 4 years I have owned this RV but after reading these post I want to be prepared.

Where can I learn how to troubleshoot Milwaukee Jacks?
nccamper
nccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

HWH Jacks not returning

Thank you for all the replies. I found them very helpful. I was able to talk to a tech service person at HWH who was very helpful and stayed with me through all the testing and changes we made. We ended up removing a small bleeder from the check valve at the return line which does not show up on their hyd. schematic. The purpose is to prevent the MH from dropping too quickly when the valves are switched to the store position. I also put lubricant again on the rods as I had been doing. Now the jacks return OK but two of them very slowly. While I was on the phone with the tech service person I also ordered a set of the "new style" springs which are much stronger. I have received the new springs and will install them shortly. Thanks again for all the replies and all the suggestions. For any of you having similar problems, I wish you well.
DBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

My right rear jack has a small seal leak and I have major problems raising the left rear even after going the silicone route. A floor jack just raised the rear of the MH until I tried recycling the jack down then up. Took it to General RV and they said I need to replace both rear jacks, but HTH is 8 WEEKS out on delivery. No stock on remans or new. I called HTH Monday, the tech was busy so they took my number for a call back, it is now Friday and the call back never happened. I am really getting mixed signals on the HTH customer service. Must not be any unemployed folks in Moscow Iowa like there are here in MI or they wouldnt be 8 weeks out on parts.

3 of the 4 tee handles on the solenoids were frozen. I am about ready to start taking things apart myself. I added 2 quarts of ATF and I was still off the dipstick with all jacks retracted.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

CJ7ole,
I would try a local hydraulic shop that works on tractor hydraulic equipment and hoses. They are very knowledgable on hydraulics and usually less expensive than an RV dealer.
nccamper
Old 08-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Got a callback from HWH this morning a week after my call. They said max $226 each to rebuild vs $340 for new ones from the dealer, and the biggie, they are 3 weeks out on rebuilding vs 8 weeks on new units. They wanted $130 to rebuild a solenoid, seeems pretty steep for the benefit of using a release valve that hasn't ever been used. I said I will take them off myself and see if I can free up the Tee handle release valves in my shop.

As I was writing this, I checked the yellow pages, turns out there is a local hydraulic shop that will look at them. Think I will start there, if they pass ofter looking at them, they will go back to HWH.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBroker View Post
They put a car jack under the jacks and it lifted the coach...jacks are on back order from hwh, anyone know where to find them elsewhere?
Try RVLeveling.com. Talk to Chuck he should be able to help you out. The name of the company is actually Stuart Services. Phone # 800-826-6267. Hope this helps out. I too have a problem with two of my jacks and they have helped me out. I need to make an appointment to go and see them.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

cj7ole,
Let us know what the local hydraulic shop says?
nccamper
Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

They would charge $200 plus each and could not guarantee that they would not leak. So I sent them back to HWH today.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

Is anyone waiting on Jacks from HWH? we waited 8 weeks and they only sent one jack.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

I had what sounds like a similar issue this last weekend. I'd put the jacks in "store" mode. Nothing would happen, then 30 or 40 minutes later I'd hear this big Bang and all the jacks would retract. Previously I had issues where only one jack would not retract but this got progressively worse.

A call to HWH was returned by a very nice guy named Frank who indicated it was likely a "shuttle valve" being stuck. He was willing to give me a procedure to test and verify the shuttle valve, but I was not near the rig at the time. Frank indicated the part was not expensive - about $55.

I'm going in for service next week. I'll let the shop and the extended warranty handle this issue.
lpasekof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

There was a post not long ago telling an easy way to get the old springs off and the new ones on. Would anyone remember or know where those instructions might be, I've not had any luck finding it.
Thanks for any help.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
There was a post not long ago telling an easy way to get the old springs off and the new ones on. Would anyone remember or know where those instructions might be, I've not had any luck finding it.
Thanks for any help.

Wagonmaster2
Is this the one you're looking for? Installing new springs on HWH jacks

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Phil Messer

I have had issues with mine also, and the tech at HWH was helpful. I have mentioned this in another thread, but the soloniods are powered up from the time you hit the store button, until the light for that jack goes out. Normal maximum time for rear jacks on my 37 ft Newmar KS is 4 minutes. Anything more than than indicates trouble, also, this is the way you burn solonoids out. In cold weather, my rear jacks can take this long, I let them retract for about 3 1/2 minutes, then stop the retract and let the solonoids cool off.

When I was working through my problem with the tech at HWH, (I needed to order the solonoid) he mentioned something that has not shown up in this discussion, the air vent on top of the tank can get plugged, which, as the tank fills from returning oil, pressurizes the tank, slowing the retraction. I put a new vent on the tank and got significant improvement. (the vent was $10-12, but I ordered it anyway, as I had the solonoid coming). In reality, the vent could probably be cleaned in solvent.

My rig is an 05, built in 04, reading these posts, I probably need to replace the springs on my rear jacks, as they are slow when the oil is cold. ('m in CA, but in the mountains, so it does get cooler.)
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Thanks for any help.

Wagonmaster2
click on my name ( dan l), look for more of my posts. my post on 7-15-10 (i need new hwh jacks...) shows how i changed my rear jack springs in a cg in reno with pictures. the cloths pins and come-along made an easy job of it.
i can't figure out how to repost this here. it used to be easy on the old forum.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Is this the one you're looking for? Installing new springs on HWH jacks
Thanks Chris.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

I just put one end in a vise, bent the spring sideways like wagonmaster and inserted 1/8" sticks I cut in my shop.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #38
Winnebago Watcher

HWH Jacks

This is Dan again. I had the new springs put on the Jacks and removed the bleeder orifice pins per the directions of Frank at HWH who was very helpful and very patient. The new springs are much much stronger than the ones that came with the MH. The jacks now return by themselves but not quickly. I am happy now with the performance of the jacks. They certainly hold very well.
DBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #39
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Try RVLeveling.com. Talk to Chuck he should be able to help you out. The name of the company is actually Stuart Services. Phone # 800-826-6267. Hope this helps out. I too have a problem with two of my jacks and they have helped me out. I need to make an appointment to go and see them.
Thanks for the post, Chuck has our jacks in stock and we hope to have them within days (as opposed to weeks). Highly recommend you all bookmark his website.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

DBuck, I have the same problem with one jack being slow to retract, and found a rubber mallet helps the problem (same age and model coach as yours). I think we are likely both in need of new springs too. I used to also spray them with silicone, but stopped when I read the manual which advises NOT to put any lubricants on the shafts, but seeing the info on WD40 here I may try that now. We are full timers so the jacks are down most of the year except for the 3-4 trips we take, and I am sure that takes a toll on the springs.

My one experience in calling HWH for help was very good - in the beginning when we'd start on a trip I routinely shut off the system once the green light came on. On a hot spring day in S Cal on the way to lake Havasu I did this, but about an hour out on Int 10 the jacks down light and warning buzzer came on at 60 mph! We pulled off a deserted exit and called in, and after some discussion the tech reminded me that you NEVER shut the system off with the green light on. The reason is that the pump system takes a while to extract all the hydraulic fluid, and if you shut it off prematurely this leaves some fluid in the sleeves - in hot weather (CA Spring) the fluid can expand and push the jacks back down. Good if somewhat terrifying lesson.

Good luck.

05 Vectra 40 AD
RanchoVectra is offline   Reply With Quote