Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

We have a 2001 Adventurer 32V with the HWH 310 leveling system. I have read in several HWH manuals that there is supposed to be some type of alarm that signals if the jacks are extended at an improper time. I have never heard any alarm and can't find mention of it in the owners manual. I even called Winnebago to see if this applies to our coach. I was transferred to HWH and was told "I think the alarm only goes off if the engine is started and the transmission is put into gear with the jacks down".
I have started the engine on several occasions with the jacks down and there has been no alarm. I have also had the "jacks down" light come on when under way with no alarm. I have never tried to put the coach in gear with the jacks down and don't really want to just to test the system.
Does anyone know if this coach is equiped with a "jacks down" alarm, and if so under what conditions will it be activated?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have a 2001 Adventurer 32V with the HWH 310 leveling system. I have read in several HWH manuals that there is supposed to be some type of alarm that signals if the jacks are extended at an improper time. I have never heard any alarm and can't find mention of it in the owners manual. I even called Winnebago to see if this applies to our coach. I was transferred to HWH and was told "I think the alarm only goes off if the engine is started and the transmission is put into gear with the jacks down".
I have started the engine on several occasions with the jacks down and there has been no alarm. I have also had the "jacks down" light come on when under way with no alarm. I have never tried to put the coach in gear with the jacks down and don't really want to just to test the system.
Does anyone know if this coach is equiped with a "jacks down" alarm, and if so under what conditions will it be activated?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hikerdogs I have a 2000 Adventurer 35U with the hwh syatem the alarm is a chime that goes off when you start the motor and the jacks are still down. its like when you leave your keys in the ing of your car and open your door. I had my jacks down light come on once while driving down I 495 and the alarm was not far behined stop to fine that my left rear jack had moved 1/2" down and it set it off push of stowe button and alarm and light went off and no other trouble all the way to the campground.

looks like you might need a trip to the service dept for your system.

Mark & Joanne
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Old 12-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Mine works the same as Mark's...beeping chime w/jacks down & engine running. Does not have to be in gear.

My HWH panel comes On while driving, but no "Jacks Down" chime. I just push the Off button. I think I've got a loose ground somewhere in the HWH panel. Must investigate some day.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 04:06 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Just a note about your HWH problem. I have a 2004 Adventurer and it has an alarm when jacks are down plus a light comes on on the dash.
If you read the maunal regarding the jacks and have contacted HWH(nice people by the way) it states that "store" button must be activated while traveling to keep jacks up. This is on the 310 system as I believe the other systems say travel. I thought the system should be in the off position too but "no" it has to be in store position. If any problem with alarm I suggest you contact HWH.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:25 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you read the maunal regarding the jacks and have contacted HWH(nice people by the way) it states that "store" button must be activated while traveling to keep jacks up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this doesn't work, remove the fuse. My alarm used to go off at random times, but never when in the shop. I finally got rid of the alarm by removing an underdash fuse.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If the jacks down light comes on, but there's no chime someone may have disconnected it or it may be broken.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

TomfromNC: I'm not sure the 310 leveling systems are exactly the same from year to year. I always put the jacks in the "Store" position when we travel. On our system the store light stays on for about 2 1/2 minutes, then automatically shuts the system off.
A couple of times the "Jacks Down" light came on while we were underway. The manual says to hit the "ON" button then immediatly hit the "Store" button. The procedure did work, the touch panel lights went off after a couple minutes, and the jacks stayed up for the remainder of the trip.

I had to replace both right side jacks earlier this year when they refused to retract. I believe they were damaged by excessive salt in Dec. of 04. We were comming back from Rochester Minn. in a terrible blizzard. The traffic was moving at 30 - 35 mph and the salt trucks were out in force. It took us 11 hours to make what would normally be a 4 - 5 hour trip. I washed down the coach when we got home and got at least 500 lbs of slush ad snow off the under carriage.

Apparently I didn't get it all off. The jacks were operating erratically for 4 months and finally refused to retract at all. I talked to "Sparky" at HWH and ended up replacing the right side jacks. I bought new jacks rather than rebuilts and it's worked fine since then (except for the alarm).

Actually the alarm may be working and I didn't realize it if ours is the same as the one described by Mark Bento. I was expecting an alarm buzzer rather than a chime. I've had the drivers door ajar, and not had my seatbelt fastened a couple of times and the chime has sounded. It may have been sounding for the jacks down and I thought it was for another reason. The coach is in storage through the holidays. I'll give the system a test early in the new year to see if the alarm (chime) does sound when the jacks are down and all other functions that may activate it are satisfied.

Thanks Everyone, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Old 01-20-2006, 04:20 AM   #9
abn
Winnebago Camper

From the HWH manual .....

"NOTE: When traveling thermal expansion may cause a jack to extend slightly. When the "STORE" button has been used to retract the jacks, the system will automatically retract any jack that extends due to thermal expansion."

This is why you want to use the STORE button and not the OFF button.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My 2004 Discovery had this feature. It came in handy a once when I tried to move the MH when the jacks were down. The system would beep like crazy and do an "emergency retract" before I could go anywhere. The system was an HWH although I don't know what model number. Perhaps, yours needs to be looked at.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ppeter313:
If the jacks down light comes on, but there's no chime someone may have disconnected it or it may be broken.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
BINGO. This is most likely the problem. Previous owner may have found the alarm to be annoying while waiting for the jacks to retract while the engine was running, and therefore removed the alarm.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote