Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 1999 Adventurer 37G on a Ford chassis, and this weekend when I attempted to use my leveling jacks for the first time this season, they did not work. I have called HWH and will call them again on the 14th. I have the 210 series Joy stick type, where the on/off buttons, red jack's lights are mounted on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. There is a 5 amp fuse on this panel. With the key either in the on or acc position, when the on button for the jacks are pushed the indicator light comes on, along with the yellow light showing which side is low. Push the lever to extend the jacks, and nothing happens.
With a volt/Ohm meter I have checked every fuse I can locate and have not found any bad fuses. I have cleaned the ground posts that I can locate. I still have nothing. I realize the board maybe the problem, but is there any other inline fuses on the FORD chassis that I may have missed, or another thing I can check before calling HWH back.
The slide works, so I know the pump motor is not bad. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 1999 Adventurer 37G on a Ford chassis, and this weekend when I attempted to use my leveling jacks for the first time this season, they did not work. I have called HWH and will call them again on the 14th. I have the 210 series Joy stick type, where the on/off buttons, red jack's lights are mounted on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. There is a 5 amp fuse on this panel. With the key either in the on or acc position, when the on button for the jacks are pushed the indicator light comes on, along with the yellow light showing which side is low. Push the lever to extend the jacks, and nothing happens.
With a volt/Ohm meter I have checked every fuse I can locate and have not found any bad fuses. I have cleaned the ground posts that I can locate. I still have nothing. I realize the board maybe the problem, but is there any other inline fuses on the FORD chassis that I may have missed, or another thing I can check before calling HWH back.
The slide works, so I know the pump motor is not bad. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Look for fuses near the pump and inspect them for corrosion. In my case there were two 20 amp fuses and one 40 amp fuse. All three fuses were corroded from moisture entering the fuse holder. I replaced all three fuses and I was back in business again.
NASAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

this may sound dumb but have you tried to reseat the plugs on the board? I have heard on post here before that they can work lose and cause the jacks not to work i would remove them one at a time clean post then put them back on and see if that works.

mark
Old 03-14-2006, 03:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Check for 12v from your parking brake switch. You jacks will not operate without this 12v signal indicating that your parking brake is on. The slides will operate without this signal.

Chck HWH's website for your systems trouble shooting manual.

http://www.hwhcorp.com/oemservice.html

Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

One of these is your trouble shooting manual.

http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml21958.pdf

http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml23934.pdf

Tom
currently at Quail Roost RV CG, Crystal River, FL
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all that replied to my call for help. Especially Tom N for the links to the troubleshoot guides. After checking all I could here and speaking with Frank at HWH, we have determined the control board is bad. After 3 days of crawling around inside and under the coach I am glad that the board is my problem. I will post again after the board is replaced to let you know that it has been repaired.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The new circuit board came and I installed it yesterday. And no that was not the problem. Have any of you found a fuse on the line that powers the warning buzzer & jacks down light. According to the trouble shooting guide there is such a fuse. And if you did, WHERE IS IT LOCATED?
Of course I will call HWH back Monday, but I would like to find this fuse before then.
Thanks,
Old 03-18-2006, 05:30 AM   #9
KCE
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem on a 2000 Brave. Solved problem by running a new (large battery cable)ground from frame to ground on pump. I even unbolted the pump and cleaned the mounting service with no luck. Ran the direct cable and it worked. Don't know why as pump mounting bracket is welded to the frame. In my case the slide would not work either. Haven't had that problem again. I have the same system you do.
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Your problem is either a bad solenoid or bad grounding on the pump itself.
To test this, first determine which post on your solenoid is live and which is switched using a 12v test light. The solenoid will be mounted directly on the pump motor with a hose clamp. Have someone operate the joystick while keeping the test light connected to the switched side of the solenoid. If the light illuminates, solenoid is not the problem. If it doesn't, replace solenoid.
If the solenoid is not the problem, use a battery jumper cable and clamp one end on the live 12 solenoid terminal, and with the other end, touch the positive terminal and the pump motor itself. If the does not cycle, you will have to remove the motor and either clean all contact sufaces and rebuild it or replace it.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have voltage to the solenoid and the pump works fine when I extend the slide out. After checking the voltage at the solenoid, I no longer have any voltage at the on/off touch pad.
There are 2 solenoids in a box under the hood mounted on the drivers side that has Battery Mode Solenoid and Relays labeled on the door.
I took the door off and there are 2 solenoids there. 1 apparently is for the battery assist in the starting the engine. I do not know what the other solenoid is for. And the indash stereo will not work with the switch in the main position, only in the Aux. position. All of the fuses are good when checked with a meter.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Well thanks to all who responded to my call for help. At the direction of the DW I removed the cover to the joystick controls. And there I found my problem-trash.
Some of the rubber weather striping from the plate had gotten under the joystick and would not allow it to make contact with the plungers. Vacuumed the trash away & my jacks work great.
Thanks again!!!!
Old 03-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

I hear a lecture from the DW coming....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

The other solenoid is most likely your coach battery disconnect. Give a listen while someone cycles the battery disconnect switch.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:16 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

rebelsbeach,
No lecture coming from her, you see I have only been right twice in my 32 year marriage. Once was when I married her. And the second time was so long ago I forgot what I was right about. But if I am every right again, I am getting it witnessed & notorized so I can show others, that I can be right too.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #16
KCE
Winnebago Owner

DAWG, thats two times more than I have in 25yrs.
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:09 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Dawg, its better to be happy than right and you seem like a well adjusted person to me.
Isn't it the simplest things that makes items on our coaches quit working? Congratulations on solving your problem...Good Miles and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:37 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

You're a wise man dawg.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Dawg, I have a 1999 34Y Chieftain. I too had a similiar problem. The dealership determined it was a pump that went bad. Luckily the slides were in and levelers were up. I hate to think of the problems had the levelers been down and the slides out.

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:29 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

FrankieJ, I knew the pump was not bad since the slide worked fine. I thought it was electrical or the circuit board. Since cleaning out the trash/debris, the jacks work great. Of course being the big kid that am I check them everyday now.
Thw wife just laughs when I come inside and she asks what have I been doing. I said checking the jacks.