Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

HWH jacks & Slides - Slides work 5% of the time!

New (to me) 2004 Sunrise M30W, with HWH leveling jacks (325 system) and 2 slides. Both slides are very tempermental; pressing the button (in or out), nothing happens at least 15 out of 16 times. Then suddenly...it works fine! Next press...same story. Thought it was the switches, even though each slide has a different switch, at opposite ends of the coach, and both act the same way. I removed and disassembled one of the switches (Carling brand; Carling VLD1000B-0 Rocker Switch- 6 Terminal), cleaned the contacts, reassembled, tested the switch...switch is working perfectly, but no change in the slide behavior. In fact, while I had the switch removed, I actually jumpered the wires (at the switch harness) and it still didn't work.

HELP!!!!
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The 325 operating manual pg 8
states the parking brake must be engaged before a room can be extended or retracted.
Evidently the parking brake electrics is tied into the HWH system, if that circuit is intermittent it might be your problem.
In any event, I would phone HWH and get expert advice. You may have to leave a message, they will return your call when you get to the top of the queue.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

There are 2 solenoids clamped on the pump motor. 1 runs the motor when the jacks are operated, the other when the slides are operated. The contacts inside get burnt or corroded and will eventually fail intermittantly. Replace them and life will be good.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hmmm....I'll dig into it a bit more this weekend. I'm leaning towards the parking brake signal, since it appears that there are 8 solenoid valves total on the system (1 for each jack, 2 for each room extension). The idea of all 4 room solenoids crapping out in exactly the same way at exactly the same time is a bit much to swallow (possible, but...). I'll also give HWH a call and see what they suggest. Thanks; at least I know have a starting point.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Hmmm....I'll dig into it a bit more this weekend. I'm leaning towards the parking brake signal, since it appears that there are 8 solenoid valves total on the system (1 for each jack, 2 for each room extension). The idea of all 4 room solenoids crapping out in exactly the same way at exactly the same time is a bit much to swallow (possible, but...). I'll also give HWH a call and see what they suggest. Thanks; at least I know have a starting point.
What is more important is the motor. Nothing hapoens if the motor does not run.
you shoild be able to get the wiring diagram from HWH.
I would jumoer the connections at the pump assembly to make sure those parts work.

Then go to the panel and jumper the brake and ignition signals to see what happens.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Some good advise above. But if you need an expert, call azpete . He's a member of this forum and works for HWH at rally's across the country. Very knowledgeable and answers his cell phone or calls you back promptly. His name is Paul Maddox 602-549-3638.

Paul zero'd in on a hydraulic problem I once had and later a control panel problem. Then I bought my HWH parts at Stuarts Service in Elkhart 800-826-6267.

When I had my problems HWH factory was backlogged 1.5 weeks on service calls before I got my 1st call back. With azpete I had problems diagnosed and the new parts delivered and jack working before HWH called back.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 08-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I am not talking about the solenoid valves, but the solenoids which power the motor. They have 4 wire terminals on each, 2 small wires, and 2 cable connections. If the motor runs for the jacks but not for the slides, replace the solenoid. That IS your problem. The brake signal is the same for the jacks, so if they work, that is not your problem.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest View Post
I am not talking about the solenoid valves, but the solenoids which power the motor. They have 4 wire terminals on each, 2 small wires, and 2 cable connections. If the motor runs for the jacks but not for the slides, replace the solenoid. That IS your problem. The brake signal is the same for the jacks, so if they work, that is not your problem.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll look into that ASAP. No chance you have a pic of the solenoid that I'm looking for, is there? Sorry; while Iv'e been RVing most of my life, this is my first class A with jacks and slides, so I'm a bit behind the curve here.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

they look like a starter solonoid on very old cars.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
they look like a starter solonoid on very old cars.
Ahhh, yes, got it. I'm swamped with honey-do stuff right now, but will check it out. Thanks for the help, all. Will definitely post back with results when I dig in.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

You'll find the solenoid in close proximity of the pump/reservoir. It's easy to spot because of the 2 heavy gauge cables attached to it. One cable comes from the battery, the other goes to the pump.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Run the engine when operating slides and jacks. The hwh system likes higher voltage than the battery can deliver.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Run the engine when operating slides and jacks. The hwh system likes higher voltage than the battery can deliver.

When extending or retracting the slides or jacks you should always be on shore power, generator or running the engine far enough above idle to get the alternator charging your battery bank. The HWH pump is a power hog and will rapidly deplete your batteries, if you think that is not true look at the cables going to the HWH motor, they are the same size as the cables that connect between batteries within your battery bank and to the starter. I am not saying it will not work on battery alone, but that it depends upon the condition and state of charge of your battery bank. You are better off running the HWH system with something charging your battery bank.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
When extending or retracting the slides or jacks you should always be on shore power, generator or running the engine far enough above idle to get the alternator charging your battery bank. The HWH pump is a power hog and will rapidly deplete your batteries, if you think that is not true look at the cables going to the HWH motor, they are the same size as the cables that connect between batteries within your battery bank and to the starter. I am not saying it will not work on battery alone, but that it depends upon the condition and state of charge of your battery bank. You are better off running the HWH system with something charging your battery bank.
A small point this statement, on mine the jacks and slides work off engine batteries but engine batteries do not charge on shore power or generator.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Interesting. I'll have to give that a try as well.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
A small point this statement, on mine the jacks and slides work off engine batteries but engine batteries do not charge on shore power or generator.

Manufacturers set coaches up differently, you need to know how yours is set up. Having the jacks and slides on the chassis battery is not the best choice, if you run down the batteries with the jacks/slides you might not be able to start the coach (yes there are some configurations that could help that). Some coaches, mine included, have the HWH control on the chassis batteries, but the pump on the house batteries. When I discovered that it was hard to fathom why the jacks did not work but the control lit up just fine. Bottom line, find out how your coach is configured.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Interesting. I'll have to give that a try as well.

If you try this, be sure you are running the engine fast enough that the alternator is actually charging the batteries.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

hwh recommends using the chassis battery for our system. it does not require this. its the manufacturers decision which battery to use. the pump motor draws from 100 to 130 amps to achieve the pressure used to run the systems. the engine can bolster the amperage available from a partially depleted battery.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Solved

Took it back to the selling dealer to have it diagnosed. Turned out that the control panel attached to the hydraulic pump assembly (behind a clear panel) has a number of fuses in it, and the dealer's first step was to remove that clear panel and check & wiggle/snug up all of the fuses. Just a bit of corrosion/bad connection for a fuse. Slides are now working perfectly! Thanks all for the suggestions; may come in handy down the road. For others, maybe this "fix" can come in handy for them!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:40 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Have you checked the oil in the reservoir. If it is too low you will experience problems with the slides moving in and out.

Tags
hwh, jacks, slide